Montrose V East Fife

some of those games have been against genuinely appalling Montrose sides ( 95-99, every side between about 2005-7, every side between 2009-16), in seasons where East Fife have been on top and had decent sides, more often than not. Only Jim Moffat's duds around 2004-6 was a side poorer than ours and even then we traded wins / defeats.

East Fife are a bogey side for sure for us and yesterday's was a disappointing result. The aim this season has to be to consolidate comfortable and with a bit of luck sneak into 4th place. Yesterday's game shows there is still a fair way to go, but overall Montrose have done really well in the last month or so, so important not to be too critical.

I may be alone in this but personally I just want the cup tie out of the way and to get on with the rest of the league season and ensuring we hit the targets mentioned above.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Different story when the boy Cregg came on, your use of the ball was better, you seemed to create more, and it seemed to be more of a battle in the middle, but perhaps a little bit too late, if you had started the game the way you finished it could have been different!!!

Spot on I agree. Firstly though fair play to East Fife, I thought they deserved the points as they played the ball well through midfield and mainly on the deck. Our poor defending for the two goals didn't help mind.

Getting back to midfield I have to question our starting line up. Watson still suspended - fair enough, but Paddy Cregg has done nothing to prevent a recall after suspension and should have started if fully fit. Maybe SP didn't want to change a winning team but to be honest we weren't great at Stranraer even though we pulled it off. Also thought Antoniazzi looked class when he came on second half and made an immediate impact. Can understand maybe the point in not starting him but will give plenty of thought for SP's line up next week.

Just one more point but not taking anything away from East Fife. The Dillon yellow card was not a fair decision. He had his shirt pulled and was fouled before he brought down the Fife lad. Including an East Fife fan sat beside me,  we saw that from high up in the grandstand. Instead of a free kick to the Mo it was a free kick against, a booking and a next league game suspension for Dillon who by the way was well of his usual game yesterday.

24 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

some of those games have been against genuinely appalling Montrose sides ( 95-99, every side between about 2005-7, every side between 2009-16), in seasons where East Fife have been on top and had decent sides, more often than not. Only Jim Moffat's duds around 2004-6 was a side poorer than ours and even then we traded wins / defeats.

East Fife are a bogey side for sure for us and yesterday's was a disappointing result. The aim this season has to be to consolidate comfortable and with a bit of luck sneak into 4th place. Yesterday's game shows there is still a fair way to go, but overall Montrose have done really well in the last month or so, so important not to be too critical.

I may be alone in this but personally I just want the cup tie out of the way and to get on with the rest of the league season and ensuring we hit the targets mentioned above.

Oh yeah, definitely. That's a big part of it. We do just generally seem to be a bogey side for Montrose though. Our record against you is even better than it was against the Shire.

I think Montrose will be fine this season. I'd say they're probably a couple of good L1 attacking players away from being able to get 4th but who knows. Petrie seems to just keep confounding expectations with that team.

Most fans don’t realise that yellow cards gained in the first half of the season are wiped at the mid point. If you get 6 in the second half of the season it’s a one game ban but it you get 12 in total for the season it’s then a further 2 game ban.

He had his shirt pulled and was fouled before he brought down the Fife lad. Including an East Fife fan sat beside me

A foul then jumping into the crowd should be a season long ban imo!!!

I did like a point in the second half where Dillon was striding forward with the ball and we just sat off him until about the half way line, quite happy with him launching an exocet into the box as we'd been dealing with them all day.

3 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

Just one more point but not taking anything away from East Fife. The Dillon yellow card was not a fair decision. He had his shirt pulled and was fouled before he brought down the Fife lad. Including an East Fife fan sat beside me,  we saw that from high up in the grandstand. Instead of a free kick to the Mo it was a free kick against, a booking and a next league game suspension for Dillon who by the way was well of his usual game yesterday.

The one that dumbfounded me was the hand ball on the edge of the box. How the ref and linesman both missed that was unfathomable.
You could even hear the slap of hand to ball. A definite booking and a free kick in a dangerous position.

I didn’t think so at the time but unfortunately I think it was the right decision
5DDAC2EA-C39D-49BB-AF10-19337A235DA7.thumb.png.951cc989fca73e31c484bee4d3f86bef.png

Fairly conclusive, actually a good call from the Linesman!!!

Archived