Montrose V East Fife

Well played East Fife .Professional performance  against a team who seemed to have 1 eye on Dundee United next week.
Badly missing Bambi at the back and Winkwr and Padge  should be nailed on for next week. ..
Still could do with an out and out striker as Martin  huffed and puffed today without getting anywhere 

Don't know about having one eye on the cup next week, think it was more SP's tactics you should question!!!
Every ball forward seemed to be a long punt to the corners and you seemed to huff and puff around the area without actually doing anything with your possession, whenever we had the ball in control in the middle of the park there seemed to be no opposition to it, both our goals coming from really rather splendid passing from our midfield especially the 2nd!!!
Different story when the boy Cregg came on, your use of the ball was better, you seemed to create more, and it seemed to be more of a battle in the middle, but perhaps a little bit too late, if you had started the game the way you finished it could have been different!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh I travelled up to the game hoping for the best and fearing the worst ! Had been really impressed by Montrose when they won at Bayview and after our disappointing performance against Airdrie last week, how would we react.

With Currie and Aggy missing, it was a chance for Linton and Watt to show what they could do and stake a claim for a starting position for next weeks cup tie.

In the first half the game was end to end with The Mo being quite direct. Two great finishes by Liam Watt put us two nil up after Anton Dowds was unlucky when he pounced on a Dillon mistake but unfortunately the ball went the wrong side of the post.

Second half, Montrose came at us and at times we struggled to get a foot on the ball and make passes, although Anton scored with a header before being flagged offside. I feared that we may have been overrun when we went two up front with Smith and Court coming on but we defended well, throwing bodies in front of the ball and making lots of last ditch tackles. But the change also put the Montrose defence under more pressure and we went on to create more chances. A great 3 points especially after the disappointment of last week. Excellent team performance and Darren Young got his tactics spot on. Solid team performance but for me Ross Dunlop was outstanding throughout.

Montrose will cause teams lots of problems with their style of play and their ability to switch play but they need a goal scorer. I know Mark McGuigan has been mentioned and he would certainly help. They have done well after coming up from League 2.

Hopefully, we can produce another good Cup performance next week and get to Round 5. A draw against one of the big guns would be great to bring in some funds to allow the manager to bring in a couple of quality additions to the squad to allow us to cement a play off place. Mon the Fife !

After getting the 2 early goals, Montrose started pressing further up the park , to try and latch on to the Scud missiles launched from the back. The tactics worked to an extent, but as previously mentioned, they missed a holding player and a finisher. For all that, we squandered numerous chances,a d could easily have finished 4or 5 up. 2-0 was however a fairer reflection, and I'm sure every Fifer will be traveling home very happy.
Won fair and square no doubt about that, but to say you could have won by 4 or 5..... easy tiger.

PortyMo, I forgot that Dillon isn’t meant to have an off game........I’m sure that was his intention today. You are however right in saying he isn’t Beckenbauer but he is however one of the best signings the club has ever made!! Do you have a Scottish cup winners medal like his???

Good win for us today. Keeps Airdrie and Montrose at arms length again. On 'the balance of play', I actually thought it was a very even game and a draw probably wouldn't have been an unfair outcome. Difference was we were just able to hold defensively firm under pressure and had that bit of quality to unlock something where Montrose didn't seem to on the day.

Great to see Liam Watt starting again. I think we miss something when he's not in the side and you can't really argue with scoring two goals.

Great team performance from us, winning the match 2-nothing against mo side. Happy to see us walk from mo tonight with all three points and put somewhat space in trying to remain 3rd in these POs.

Good see watty and Linton in from the start as we kinda miss LW energy last Saturday as he can change a game. Also good to see Bell get mintues towards the end as he can cause a problem and pick up a lose pass late on and brett save to keep a clean sheet was awesome to top the match report off but we went into this game without our best creative player, great see kano on the bench like to use him for much agressive teams and its good to notice the close bond weve got is superb roll on next weekend hopefully we get through to 5th rd and bigger kettle of fish for some needed profit towards buying 1 or 2 newbies ahead of trip to eireland and also the end of season short target for finishing inside the POs.

PS Monthefiffe............!!!!!!!!!!!!:wub:

2 hours ago, Champs17/18coym said:

PortyMo, I forgot that Dillon isn’t meant to have an off game........I’m sure that was his intention today. You are however right in saying he isn’t Beckenbauer but he is however one of the best signings the club has ever made!! Do you have a Scottish cup winners medal like his???

Hiya Sean, Hiya pal! :D

I thought we were terrific across the back today. Saying that, Liam Watt is my new hero. Out of the starting line up and an unused sub for something like six weeks. Does he take the hump and throw in the towel? No. He bides his time, works hard in training and grabs the opportunity when it comes his way. Absolutely delighted for him tonight...

Good result and keeps us in 3rd place, a position we seem to have been in all season.

We now have the bottom 4 coming up in the next 4 weeks so good chance to rack up good points, apart from Dumbarton though of course who have now taken over Raith’s position as our bogey team.

I thought we were terrific across the back today. Saying that, Liam Watt is my new hero. Out of the starting line up and an unused sub for something like six weeks. Does he take the hump and throw in the towel? No. He bides his time, works hard in training and grabs the opportunity when it comes his way. Absolutely delighted for him tonight...
Your centre half's were good yesterday won every ball in the air.

Just watched the game back & the second goal is really well worked. A lot to cram into the highlights too

Just put the whole 90 minutes up then!!!

Archived