Why aren't you dead yet?

BFTD

I'm one of the lucky ones.  I was diagnosed with a form of leukaemia 10 years ago but they have treatments nowadays which they don't yet rate as cures but it seems to have done the trick with me and some others although it's too early to say with certainty.  Had I been diagnosed 10 years earlier then none, or at least very very few, of that batch are still with us.  

And I've been in a plane which depressurised but landed safely.  Masks were deployed.

And I've had about a dozen 240v shocks, some domestic, some work-related, some my own stupidity and arrogance, some due to negligence by others.

I am 64 so I've had more opportunities for oblivion than most on here.  Yes they do still need me and feed me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wee sister died when she was really young -  I was just a wee bit older than her - we don't or probably cant talk about it, understandably.

My nephew was touch and go a couple of years ago - worst day of my life - nothing bad actually happened, but it was the fear of what might happen. 

Lucky white heather, eh?

I was a C-section so that would have been it for me and maw back in the day.

Asthma could have possibly caused me to snuff it when running to escape from predators in the cavemen days.

I also had my appendix out earlier this year which is possibly the closest I’ve been to joining the ranks of the deid. A hundred years or so earlier and that could have had me. That was agony but can’t complain about two weeks off work.

I’ve been in some state from drinking a couple of times and if i hadn’t had my pals or my partner to look after me, anything could have happened.

If I ever die for real, I’ll be sure to let you all know how it went down.

Largely through luck, and I don’t mean that in jest.

Was in a car crash in November, mate lost control when a deer jumped out onto the road. Swerved off the road, cut through an old, rotten tree, dropped about 6m down an embankment, rolled twice and came to rest upside down against a farmhouse.

Climbed out the window and walked away with fairly minimal damage, bruised ribs and whiplash.

Polis lassie reckoned the fact I had been bevvying for 12 hours before it probably helped, was that pished I didn’t react and stayed relaxed throughout.

So there, have a bevvy, it’s good for you.

My mum had severe haemorraging a few weeks before I was due, it was pretty close for both of us for a while, so I may not even have made it to day 1.

When I was 4 I had pneumonia so that could have done for me in days gone by.

I was booked onto MH17 (the one that got shot down) by a previous employer. I was never likely to actually take the flight, HR just booked one as part of the hiring process. My visa was, inevitably, delayed and I was changed to a different flight a couple of weeks later.

Half expected a wee call from the authorities in the aftermath of the incident to check if I was a terrorist or something. Heard nothing.

On 10/01/2019 at 21:32, ICTJohnboy said:

So sorry to hear that mate.

Sincerely hope you get at least another 20 years, and furthermore that a cure might be found for it within that period.

My team are talking of a potential cure due to my age in comparison with most Myeloma patients. It's a bit risky and involves a donor stem cell transplant. Will find out more info in a couple weeks. Good thing is my first chemo treatment is working well.

On 10/01/2019 at 23:41, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That's miserable. Several years ago, my father's second wife was diagnosed with cancer, which had already spread to various organs. Her consultant said she only had a few months to live at the time. I'm not going to pretend that life's been easy for her since then, but the various treatments she's received have allowed to have (so far) three Christmases with her grandchildren that she's wasn't expecting.

You'll know a lot more about it than me, but it appears that cancer treatments are constantly improving, so hopefully you'll benefit as time goes on.

Yes definitely. Advances in medicine especially Myeloma related are improving. You never know what they'll come up with next. Good thing is there are various types of treatment and I'm only on the first one which is working really well.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

And hopefully the last, HSF.

Agreed!

Stupid thread title, I am dead and have been for some time.  I’m quite relaxed about it.

Presumably it means in body and not just in spirit.
Ps, glad to read the chemo is going well HSF. Can only imagine how gruelling it is for you. Keep fighting the good fight

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

It's a bit risky and involves a donor stem cell transplant. Will find out more info in a couple weeks. 

Do they collect what you need from blood or is it needed from bone marrow or such like? Are there a surplus amount of donors or do you need a P&B whip round? I'm sure most decent folk would try to help you out if needed.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Do they collect what you need from blood or is it needed from bone marrow or such like? Are there a surplus amount of donors or do you need a P&B whip round? I'm sure most decent folk would try to help you out if needed.

Many will be riddled with worse than she's got.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

They are testing my brother to see if he is a match but if not they'll be checking the donor registers! If i use a donor I get to meet them in 2 years.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

What happened to that guy who asked for help from P&B regarding debt problems?

Bambino something...

Presumably he's retired and living in Florida now.

Archived