Why aren't you dead yet?

BFTD

I have Myeloma Cancer ( very rare for my age of 28). At present it doesn't have a cure. Chemotherapy and Stem Cell Transplants can put you into remission but the exact time is different for each person. I could live 1 year, 10 years, 20 years but I'll probably die relatively young. Shite but not much you can do about it. I'm the first person in my family to get cancer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I have Myeloma Cancer ( very rare for my age of 28). At present it doesn't have a cure. Chemotherapy and Stem Cell Transplants can put you into remission but the exact time is different for each person. I could live 1 year, 10 years, 20 years but I'll probably die relatively young. Shite but not much you can do about it. I'm the first person in my family to get cancer.

So sorry to hear that mate.

Sincerely hope you get at least another 20 years, and furthermore that a cure might be found for it within that period.

Delivered by caesarian, the absence of which would have been a death sentence for mother and child in BC times - though mothers usually died following the procedure anyway once it was put into use and that remained so up to a few hundred years ago. Can also add appendicitis as a death dodge - usually fatal before operations began and quite often from infection after.

Double pneumonia as a baby in the early 60's would probably have seen me off not too many years earlier. As it was, I was left a severe asthmatic through my formative years.
On a winter's night circa 1980, I accepted a lift from a lad who, unbeknownst to me, had been tanning the booze all night. He hit a patch of ice, lost control and ran us head first into a lamppost. In those pre-seatbelt days, that could've been nasty but as it happened, someone else had knocked the same lamppost down earlier that evening, (seriously injuring themselves in the process) and we simply slid up and along it. I walked the rest of the way home.
A couple of years later, I was driving (sober) and took a corner too fast on a wet country road with 3 mates in the car. There was a bit of a crest on the road too and that was enough to un-weight the car and send us into a 540 degree skid neatly around the curve before coming to rest with a wee dunt against the corner of a wall. If we'd gone off the road to the left, there was a severe drop that would probably have done for us. As it was, there was just a tiny ding on the rear bumper. 
Another time, I was walking past a building which was being renovated, when a stack of roof tiles fell onto the pavement about 6 feet in front of me. A few steps further and I would've been planted into the ground like Wiley Coyote but instead, all I got was a small shrapnel cut below my eye. I yelled up at the roofers (4 floors up) but nobody responded and amazingly, nobody else was around to see it happen.
More recently, three years ago I was hiking alone on a snow-covered hill near home when I stepped on a patch of ice, went down on my arse and slipped off the path and started sliding downhill. At first, it didn't seem like such a big deal until I realised I was picking up speed and not so very far  ahead was a biiig drop. I had no ice-axe with me and nothing with which to stop myself...except for a small boulder, which fortuitously was right in my path. I was moving at a fair old lick by the time we met, and had I missed it, I would've almost certainly gone over the edge. Instead I was able to slap my boots on it and while my knees ended up by my ears, it stopped me good and proper. I made my way gingerly back up to the path and headed home, where I offered up a wee toast to the doGs for looking after me.
Again.

You should buy a lottery ticket

Given the high rates of child mortality in the slums of Scotland in the late 19th C- early 20th C I'm not sure a lot of you would have made it past the age of 5. 

While the ancestors on my mother's side were upper middle class my granny (b.1905) used to say she got diphtheria as a young girl and was only saved because her elder brother was a medical student and recognised the symptoms.

If you'd survived the childhood illnesses then it would have been down the pit/into the shipyards/off to the steelworks and industrial accidents would have done for you (the Health and Safety Standards you enjoy at work today were fought for by Trade Unions, he said, putting on his Lenin cap). And if you were born at a certain time there was the possibility that you'd be called up and dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, "there was some corner of some foreign field that was forever snuffed it" (to quote Spike Milligan). Cancer was actually rare because folk used to pop off early of heart attacks or disease before cancer could develop in the body.

I was born in the early 1970s by which time previously horrible diseases such as TB and Polio had been mostly eradicated. I did catch measles as a lad but it was seen as one of those rites of passage through life back then- get chickenpox, get measles, get german measles, get mumps, grow up. Now measles is almost seen as a childhood killer disease in the same way as polio was at one time.  

Actually I'd have been dead at the age of 9 if the brakes on the No.38 buses hadn't been properly maintained.. 

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

That's miserable. Several years ago, my father's second wife was diagnosed with cancer, which had already spread to various organs. Her consultant said she only had a few months to live at the time. I'm not going to pretend that life's been easy for her since then, but the various treatments she's received have allowed to have (so far) three Christmases with her grandchildren that she's wasn't expecting.

You'll know a lot more about it than me, but it appears that cancer treatments are constantly improving, so hopefully you'll benefit as time goes on.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I thought this was a lyric from Hotel California.

Funny, I thought Colitis was what you drank when you get caught in the rain.

13 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

did it come with your sample back? I've had letters like that.. 

They're putting it on plinth apparently, best jobby ever. My mate Donald is furious, sent one off when he was building his golf course north of Aberdeen and all he got was a bunch of unsightly windmills.

43 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've got Ulcerative Colitis.

Given the nick I was in when I went in to hospital in 2008 I'd have been pan breid before  that Easter.

I ended up in hospital this time last year with that. GP had insisted for weeks it was a stomach infection. I looked like something out of Belsen by the time they'd sent me to the hospital.

8 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

I ended up in hospital this time last year with that. GP had insisted for weeks it was a stomach infection. I looked like something out of Belsen by the time they'd sent me to the hospital.

I looked like that guy out of Twilight.

Was some laugh...

Lassie I work with had a horrible accident a few years ago, and was in a coma for six weeks, but survived massive brain surgery - she has issues with memory, and has a bit of an attitude problem, but she's alive and working. 

Her brother recently tripped and fell, and was in a coma for ten days, but didn't survive the brain surgery,  sadly.

Pretty bad luck for one family to be hit in this way. 

3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I'm the first person in my family to get cancer.

Better than all these uber middle class politicians claiming to be the first person in their families to go to University imo.

Archived