• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  
GNU_Linux

Multisport players

In the early day of Scottish football (pre-professionalism) it was common for players to not only play football but other sports such as rugby or cricket (indeed some clubs have their origins as spinoffs from these sports). My question is were there players plying their trade in multiple sports after the advent of professionalism?

On a related did any players go onto to do anything of note in other sports after retiring from football? Jim Souness of Hearts went on to play three internationals for the Scottish cricket team. Goalkeeper Michael Fraser who turned out for ICT & Ross County amongst others went on to play shinty for Glenurquhart after retiring from football.

5 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

In the early day of Scottish football (pre-professionalism) it was common for players to not only play football but other sports such as rugby or cricket (indeed some clubs have their origins as spinoffs from these sports). My question is were there players plying their trade in multiple sports after the advent of professionalism?

On a related did any players go onto to do anything of note in other sports after retiring from football? Jim Souness of Hearts went on to play three internationals for the Scottish cricket team. Goalkeeper Michael Brown who turned out for ICT & Ross County amongst others went on to play shinty for Glenurquhart after retiring from football.

Do you mean Michael Fraser?

Anyway, Andy Goram played for Scotland at cricket a few times.

Another cricketing footballer was Ex- Partick Thistle and Montrose player Harry Johnston. In the 1970s he played 2 first class matches for Scotland, as well as quite a few one-dayers.

Victoria Pendleton springs to mind. Champion athlete and has gone on to become a jockey. Not sure how she's done tbh.

Closer to home, Keaghan Jacobs was apparently a very good youth cricket player only to change sports and become a vital cog in the Amber machine

ex-Celtic,Motherwell,St Johnstone & Kilmarnock player Cillian Sheridan played Gaelic football for Bailiebro Shamrock in his younger days whilst also playing association football for Belvedere FC & had an offer at one point to play pro Aussie Rules with the Brisbane Lions

Alan Hercher, former Ross County, Caley, Caley Thistle and Clach player, who sadly passed away recently played shinty for Beauly and was a coach for them.

In American football, Kyler Murray, who won the Heisman trophy for best college player this year was drafted in last years baseball first round by the Oakland A's on a $4.6m contract  but has now declared for the NFL draft this year.  There's quite a few examples of players who could've played in the NFL and MLB - Tom Brady, probably the best quarterback of all time, was drafted by the Montreal Expos but he turned it down to play college football.

In American football, Kyler Murray, who won the Heisman trophy for best college player this year was drafted in last years baseball first round by the Oakland A's on a $4.6m contract  but has now declared for the NFL draft this year.  There's quite a few examples of players who could've played in the NFL and MLB - Tom Brady, probably the best quarterback of all time, was drafted by the Montreal Expos but he turned it down to play college football.
Never knew that about Brady. Interesting to think where the Pats would be without him

Deion Sanders was primarily an NFL player but also had a decent MLB career in the 1990s. The only player to play in the Super Bowl and the World Series according to Wikipedia.

I suppose the short NFL season helps.

5 hours ago, resk said:

Deion Sanders was primarily an NFL player but also had a decent MLB career in the 1990s. The only player to play in the Super Bowl and the World Series according to Wikipedia.

I suppose the short NFL season helps.

I was actually watching a clip of Sanders talking about Kyler Murray the other day, I hadn't realised he'd played baseball to such a high level.  Sanders said that he was able to play both as being a defensive back is a less onerous position than quarterback, who has to be the focal point of the offense of the team, a leader. 

Michael Jordan played baseball for a few years in teh middle of his basketball career as well, although I don't think he played in the major leagues. 

I was actually watching a clip of Sanders talking about Kyler Murray the other day, I hadn't realised he'd played baseball to such a high level.  Sanders said that he was able to play both as being a defensive back is a less onerous position than quarterback, who has to be the focal point of the offense of the team, a leader. 

Michael Jordan played baseball for a few years in teh middle of his basketball career as well, although I don't think he played in the major leagues. 

He played baseball during his first retirement in '94. Played for the AA level Birmingham Barons as an outfielder in the Southern League on a minor league contract with the Chicago White Sox. Stats below:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=jordan001mic

also played for the Scottsdale Scorpions in the off-season Arizona Fall League.

George Salmond the ex Scottish cricketer is now a referee. Obviously not a player, but involved in two sports at a high level.