Supporting yer local

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I mean more in the way of we don't threaten referees or send death threats to goalkeepers and generally think any defeat ever can't be down to the opposition simply being better on the day.

We don't have mad conspiracies with multiple statements and greet about demanding to know who folk are etc.

Not sure what your second paragraph means.

Just you get some people that get so angry about the OF and spend all their time talking about how much they hate them; we get it. We all do.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Just you get some people that get so angry about the OF and spend all their time talking about how much they hate them; we get it. We all do.

Can't really see much of that on this thread 

Saw it mentioned earlier on that 'diddy fans' clubs don't try to bully and threaten the others to get their own way. Therefore we as fans don't enable such bullying and threatening whereas  Celtic and Sevco fans very much do.

Other despicable characteristics of the Old Firm are of course the deeply ingrained sense of entitlement (look at the fuss over choice of neutral venues for cup finals, semis). But especially, the faux victimhood they project at any and every opportunity (against ref, authorities etc) even though they are the beneficiaries of most situations - a simple fact of the power relations in play.

Majority of Fife support the Old Firm, it’s the norm. When it has an effect on our club we have a right to be pissed. Pretty much all other 40 teams in the league have the same problem of folk supporting the ugly sisters for the sake of it

The best/most wild example of this was when we played Elgin Away in the Scottish Cup a few years back (best away day ever!) and there was an Elgin Loyal supporters bus for Ibrox... the fuuuuck? Imagine going there anyway, never mind making the journey from Elgin to Glasgow every 2nd Saturday, oaft!

14 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Majority of Scotland support the Old Firm, it’s the norm. When it has an effect on our club we have a right to be pissed. Pretty much all other 40 teams in the league have the same problem of folk supporting the ugly sisters for the sake of it

FTFY

You see buses full of horrible scummy cowardly wanks leaving from all over the country to go to Celtic and Sevco games, and you see the dregs in all towns all across the country sitting in their Celtic/Sevco top in the local shitey pub shouting their nonsense.

Anyway, let's not derail this thread. More stories please!

I remember Rovers getting horsed 4-0 by Celtic at Parkhead and every time Celtic scored a boy in front kept celebrating. Someone 'politely' told him he was in the wrong end only for the boy to reply with "it's ok, I'm from Kirkcaldy" :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

FTFY

You see buses full of horrible scummy cowardly wanks leaving from all over the country to go to Celtic and Sevco games, and you see the dregs in all towns all across the country sitting in their Celtic/Sevco top in the local shitey pub shouting their nonsense.

Anyway, let's not derail this thread. More stories please!

To be fair, I don't actually have too much issue with the fans leaving on buses to actually go to the games. Sure, I'd prefer they all came down to Dumbarton instead but if they decide to support Rangers or Celtic and actually go to support their team then who am I to tell them they're wrong. It's the p***ks in the pub who sit there watching Soccer Saturday and then give you the patronising "Sons were unlucky the day mate" or "I dunno how you watch that every week" I have the issue with.

The hedge side at Brechin is good for getting the wind ups going with players as you are just that bit higher than the players .  One  game I recall one of our fans giving Charlie Adam  (sen)  pelters when he played for us.  It went on for most of the game until Charlie eventually lost the rag  10 mins from the end  ,   jumped the barrier and offered the guy outside after the final whistle. Needless to say the guy immediately apologised and never uttered another word .   Charlie was strangely not sent off as I think the ref was just glad that the guy had been silenced.

Another time Kevin Fotheringham was getting the "fat b*****d" treatment from the large travelling Arbroath support .  True to form he scored a screamer and he went right over and ran the length of the hedge side with his shirt up patting his belly .  ........................Of course this was after he was punted from Arbroath after the infamous Smokie incident in their  team  photo . :lol:

The best/most wild example of this was when we played Elgin Away in the Scottish Cup a few years back (best away day ever!)

I’m intrigued as to what makes a great away day. I’ve only just started going to away games and love them, but for someone who has been to a larger amount than me, what is it that makes any game a great away day, both in this topic of Elgin but others also?

9 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

I’m intrigued as to what makes a great away day. I’ve only just started going to away games and love them, but for someone who has been to a larger amount than me, what is it that makes any game a great away day, both in this topic of Elgin but others also?

A piss up with your mates. Plain and simple haha. Away games are usually a good laugh, heading to somewhere random, picking a random dive of a pub then feeling the atmosphere rise as more and more of your teams fans filter in. Then the lager takes affect and the sing songs start. The camaraderie and mindset of 'what the f**k am I doing in Peterhead in the pissing rain' and realising everyone is on the same wavelength. And if you win, well it's all been worth it.

I always find the best away days involve going to places that you’d never go to otherwise. Most folk will choose a large town or a city for a day out but going to places like Dingwall, Arbroath and Stranraer means you get to see other wee places and sample different pubs and grounds. Going to these places with your pals is just magic, there’s just something about getting the train or bus on a Saturday morning to some wee place in the arsehole of nowhere and watching your team play.

Getting the train is awesome anyway for games, I'm lucky that I can do that for home games too. 

Can't beat sitting in the Balaclava Bar at 8:30am with guys asking who the f**k the team on my scarf are. 

An away day is only as good as you make it. If you’ve got a good bunch of your mates up for a pish up it normally ends up being class. One of my personal favourites was Annan away towards the end of 16/17. About 15/20 of us on train leaving arbroath at 7.30. Won 5-2 on our way to winning the league, class day.

My football experience started with my grandfather taking me to Hampden to watch Queens Park. We travelled by public transport from Dalmuir to the games in the late 60s. I remember if there was a game on New Year’s day my parents and my brother would come along as well to make it a family afternoon out. ( my brother is not a football fans and prefers fishing while my parents watched Aberdeen when they lived there) don’t know why my grandfather supported Queens Park.

When I started work and bought a car we started to support Dumbarton and my grandfather and I would go to home and away games all over the country. It was a great time supporting the Sons competing against the big teams.

Moving on a few years it took my wife to be to games but she always wanted to leave early so she stopped coming to the games and I could enjoy myself. When children came along I stopped going for about 8 years but continued to keep an interest in how they were doing. When my son was old enough he would come to the games and was a mascot at one of the home games. When he moved to the new stadium he was a ball boy for a few years, his reward for doing this was 50p, a pie and a coke at half time! Once he was in his teens he lost interest in football although he will now come to the occasional game. He wanted to go to Ibrox to see Rangers play so I took him to Walter Smith’s testimonial. At one point during the game a shout went up “stand up if you gate Celtic’, we looked at each other and thought for our safety we should better stand. Never been back to Ibrox and I can see why the ugly sisters are hated.

The year we won promotion at Annan my son, my cousin and her son were there. On the way back we had Jim Traynor on the radio going on about whoever had won the Premiership and no mention of the other leagues, so my cousin phoned in and gave him short shift about ignoring the other leagues!

Now in my mid 60s I still go to Dumbarton and have enjoyed the good times (being in the Championship and a cup final) and unfortunately the not so good times just now, hopefully things will improve.

I have nothing but respect for the supporters outside Rangers and Celtic who are not glory hunters but support their local team through thick. And thin. If only the powers that be redistributed the money to the clubs that need it would be much better for the game as a whole.

50 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

As Raithie has said, it's just a day out with your mates that makes it great really. I mind we were getting the bus up to Elgin, supporters club arranged for it to leave at 7am from DFC stadium. There was a big group of us all around 18/19/20 years old going to it and we decided the night before we'd just have an all night party then show up for the bus.  7am comes and there's about 15 of us, all absolutely pished, having a massive game of "one bounce" (not sure if this is what it's called in other parts of Scotland) in the car park, during which I managed to severely damage my toe. We all piled onto the bus and most of us crashed out, woke up at the first service stop for a piss and something to eat before we started drinking again. I should mention that at this pit stop we were waiting to get off the bus and I let out one hell of a stinking fart which caused one of group to be sick, I'm still quite proud of that moment. We got to Elgin and it was just a case of finding a pub and continuing the fun. I think at about 1.30-2pm we all went for a big kick about on the grass just outside Elgins ground.  I can't even remember the game, I'm sure we got beat (we usually do up there) but the day out was just hilarious from start to finish, especially for a group of boys who usually wouldn't travel that far.

I also remember 4 of us made a late decision to head through to Livingston a few seasons back too, the supporters bus was full so we jumped on the train. Beers on the train then a taxi to the nearest pub. Into the game which for 85 minutes had me cursing my decision to spend circa 60-70 quid on a day out as we were losing 1-0 in a terrible contest, but we scored 2 in the last 5 minutes which lead to some excellent scenes.  We come out the ground, absolutely buzzing and head into Aldi (or Lidl, can't remember) next to the ground to buy beer for the way home only to be told that they were under Police instruction not to sell beer between 5-6pm so that football fans couldn't buy it after the game :lol: . We got a taxi to the station where there was a nice wee shop more than happy to sell us alcohol. Not many hilarious stories to pass on here obviously, but it's days out like that with your mates which make away days great.

I can't remember which game it was but I'm sure @Bring Back Paddy Flannery broke his toe after kicking my shin by accident in a pished up kick about (it might actually have been the above mentioned Elgin game).

I can't remember which game it was but I'm sure [mention=6311]Bring Back Paddy Flannery[/mention] broke his toe after kicking my shin by accident in a pished up kick about (it might actually have been the above mentioned Elgin game).

It was pre match outside the pub in Forfar that used to put a quiz on. I went to volley the ball and your boney wee leg just appeared out of nowhere, heard a crunch and hobbled up to the ground thinking it would be fine after 10 minutes. It wasn't and I spent the whole day getting slaughtered for complaining about how sore it was.

Felt pretty smug when I went to get an x-ray the next morning (after waking up with an absolute balloon for a foot) and the doctor confirmed the knuckle of my toe was broken. To this day if I curl my toes that one just doesn't move.

Being teetotal and a massive nerd, one of my favourite things about away days is going early and visiting historical sites in the area with my dad.  Arbroath Abbey and the Pictish stones at Aberlemno just outside Forfar have been great, and I'm hoping to get to Dumbarton Castle, Brechin Cathedral this season and hopefully the Pictish stones museum at St Vigeans next time we play  either Montrose or Arbroath.

image.thumb.png.3d451d694d0e76bcc8d8ee8046ffaa87.pngimage.thumb.png.7c33d437c1adc24a7851788fd752b4e8.png

Archived