Supporting yer local

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3rd Generatuon Rovers fan, my Grandfather stopping my son from being a 5th generation fan, as he came from East Wemyss and followed East Fife.

Used to go to every Rovers home game, and if they were away and East Fife at home, my old man would take me and my grandad to Bayview (you’ll appreciate the Rovers more my dad would say).

Started going aged 3 as I used to greet when my dad and older brother left to go to Starks Park. Came home one time aged 4 telling my maw, we would have won if we had ‘put the ball in the fucking net’.

My P1 school photo was taken at gym time, and there I am in the late 70’s Rovers Bukta kit, I was the only Rovers fan at my primary school in Kirkcaldy, and was amazed to see so many guys from my school years at the cup final v Celtic.

Many well document highs, and lows over the years, having my dad take his grandson to Rovers games only weeks before he died, and my son using his ticket for the diddy cup final made that a hugely emotional game.

Wee clubs are great, my sons been a mascot at Raith, attended annual open days, written to the club and had signed photos from his favourite players. It’s all memory making for future fans and a much more personal touch than at bigger clubs, where Sky has ruined football.

Dont live in KDY anymore but The Rovers are part of my identity.

My P1 school photo was taken at gym time, and there I am in the late 70’s Rovers Bukta kit, I was the only Rovers fan at my primary school in Kirkcaldy, and was amazed to see so many guys from my school years at the cup final v Celtic.

I know your pain. I was bullied at primary, Valley Primary school was filled with Rangers and Celtic fans. The “ who di ye support” wanks. Believe it or not The Rovers are in my blood. My grandad was from the Weymss too.

This is one of these threads you can keep revisiting when more absolutely fantastic memories pop back into your head.

Can anyone else remember before the 95 cup final, there was a massive car parade through the town centre, every shop was decked out in red and white in the windows and the streets were mobbed.
What an atmosphere.
I remember we decked out my dads red Citroen Xantia (company car, cracker at the time tbf) and my aunt who's had a florist in the town for decades(Mary Wilson Flowers) made smashing big red and white footballs and a big AIRDRIE to put on the parcel shelf of the car.
I remember droving through the town in the big convoy, me hanging out the sunroof tooting and waving at folk.
What a day.

14 hours ago, Wardy said:

I’m 40 out of 42, all with watching The Rovers since 1995 (Glory Hunter) 

Stranraer the match was actually abandoned, but I’m still counting it.

Annan and Elgin are the 2 senior clubs that remain on my list. 

Yeah, this definitely counts. You saw your team playing a competitive match there, it just didn't last 90 minutes.

I still need Ross County, Peterhead, Queen's Park, Edinburgh City & Berwick Rangers.

On 12/01/2019 at 21:04, Wardy said:

I’m not sure whether to count Edinburgh City or not actually. Strictly not saw them at Meadowbank. Was at Ainslie park...so when they move back there then It will be 3 grounds...

I think if you saw Raith play Edinburgh City away in a competitive game then it counts - regardless of where they happened to be playing at the time.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:57, Poet of the Macabre said:

Yeah, this definitely counts. You saw your team playing a competitive match there, it just didn't last 90 minutes.

I still need Ross County, Peterhead, Queen's Park, Edinburgh City & Berwick Rangers.

Ross County is a great away day. Saw us beat there 4-2, cracking pubs and the haggis pie was phenomenal.

Ross County is a great away day. Saw us beat there 4-2, cracking pubs and the haggis pie was phenomenal.

Agreed, one of the best. I’ve always wanted to get the train, get off at Dingwall and go straight into the back door of the mallard but the times are never favourable. Bus up is still good fun and has some great scenery.

I was nearly knocked over by a car when we were there in August. I must’ve said, “fucking hell” or “oya c**t” or something similar because the guy slammed the brakes on, got out and started screaming in my face asking what I’d just said. He was about 7 feet tall and 20 stone, too. Pretty sure a bit of wee came out when I saw the size of him appearing from his car. We were then 5-0 down before half time and I had to leave early because I realised I’d put my sunglasses in a bin on the high street.

Love Dingwall!

On 1/11/2019 at 22:42, RedintheBed said:

I've enjoyed reading all the views of fans of diddy teams, so I thought I should add my own story.

Like some others, my dad (an occasional Brechin fan) took me to a few games in the mid-50s when I was just a 5 year old. I started going to games on my own after that although I often had to "sneak in" at half time when the gates were opened due to not having the entrance money. I was a regular at home games and soon got a job (unpaid) as a ball boy. Once I got to secondary school, I was helping around the club on a Saturday - arriving around 12.30 and meeting the away bus to carry their hampers to the dressing rooms on a barrow. I put the teas into the dressing rooms at half time, collected the strips and boots in the home dressing room after the game and taking the hampers back to the away bus. I got home around 6.30 and loved every minute of it.

I had to miss a few games in the late '60s and early '70s since I moved to Edinburgh for Uni. Once I got a cheap car, I could get to away games around the central area and arranged trips home to coincide with City home games. I haven't missed many games since then, despite moving round the country for work. I missed our first ever promotion game against Meadowbank since my younger son had the lack of thought to be born that weekend! I wanted to name him after the Brechin team but my wife put her foot down.

I've followed Brechin through thin and thin. I'm proud to say I'm a City fan, despite results going badly. I now live just west of Glasgow but attend every game (home and away). I haven't lived in Brechin for over 50 years, but City is my team! I have friends I meet at every game and I wouldn't change my team for the world.

Sorry for droning on but CTID!

I too served my apprenticeship at the Glebe in exactly the same manner ,  first as a ball boy on top of the ladder on the hedge (to spot where the ball went when the wee field next door was overgrown or had tatties in it )   ,  then working up to general tea boy then assistant  trainer/ kit man.  

Heady days indeed as I witnessed the rise of a club formerly known as Brechin City nil to a team who were top of the old First Division and in serious contention of being promoted to the Premier League in the early eighties. ( I still maintain to this day that this was one of the reasons all the stipulations for entry to the Premier League were put in place ......to stop diddies like us getting in !! ) 

Loads of ups and downs along the way but I feel fortunate that the good times by far outweighed the bad  and since the early eighties  Brechin have consistently punched way above their weight.  

Working with the club was fantastic as we visited the likes of Celtic Park, Hampden  and Ibrox and seeing those places from the inside as a 17/18 year old was just jaw dropping . ............As was visiting  Firs Park (East Stirling )  , Cliftonhill  and Cowdenbeath !!!  :lol:

However most of the memories have been created on the road as a fan .  Nothing better than going to places like Inner Leithen in the Scottish cup , getting half pished  then leaving for the match at 2 . 58 pm   through the garden at the back of the pub and straight into the ground , returning at half time for a swift few nips .  ...................or another I remember at Old Bayview  , their social club was next to the main stand which meant some didn't even make it into the ground till after half time.  Of those who did make the first half , quite a few made their way onto the park at half time and walked over the pitch with the players in order to avoid the long walk round the terracing to the social club . 

Many other great days out with promotions , championship wins , relegations and just the pure banter with players on a weekly basis of which many long lasting friendships have been struck up. I for one wouldn't have it any other way.  Our wee club means so much and has given me so much over the years . Long may it continue.  

I have 3 to do to complete the set; Ross County (hopefully be there in a few weeks), new St Mirren & the one that will surprise most who know me Celtic Park. Who knows might be able to scratch them all off this season!

Saw in an earlier post that a Rovers fan was bullied at a Kirkcaldy school for being a Rovers fan, unbelievable! Being an Edinburgh lad I got it really tight at school in the 60s and 70s, got a doing at least once a week for sticking to my guns and refusing to support either Hearts or Hibs. Fast forward to 1979 and a midweek league game at Starks against Hearts. We were 2-1 down but came back to win 3-2 with Bertie Miller scoring the winner if my memory serves me correctly. When that 3rd goal went in I couldn't celebrate as my legs went from under me and I ended up on my arse bawling my eyes out. I was 15 at the time and all the years of suffering just came spilling out. The next day at school was fucking fantastic, I still got a doing but I knew that on this occasion I had the better of them because "shitey wee Raith Rovers" had beaten them.   

Saw in an earlier post that a Rovers fan was bullied at a Kirkcaldy school for being a Rovers fan, unbelievable! Being an Edinburgh lad I got it really tight at school in the 60s and 70s, got a doing at least once a week for sticking to my guns and refusing to support either Hearts or Hibs. Fast forward to 1979 and a midweek league game at Starks against Hearts. We were 2-1 down but came back to win 3-2 with Bertie Miller scoring the winner if my memory serves me correctly. When that 3rd goal went in I couldn't celebrate as my legs went from under me and I ended up on my arse bawling my eyes out. I was 15 at the time and all the years of suffering just came spilling out. The next day at school was fucking fantastic, I still got a doing but I knew that on this occasion I had the better of them because "shitey wee Raith Rovers" had beaten them.   

This is fantastic! Probably my favourite one so far

Saw it mentioned earlier on that 'diddy fans' seem to take moral superiority over Celtic and Sevco fans and someone was having a wee whinge about that.

Let there be no doubt; fans of all clubs in Scotland outweigh Celtic and Sevco are indeed morally superior, to a massive degree.

They/we don't enable, promote and support bigotry for one.

We can take defeat. We don't moan all the time about conspiracies.

Our clubs don't try to bully and threaten the others to get their own way. Therefore we as fans don't enable such bullying and threatening whereas  Celtic and Sevco fans very much do.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We can take defeat.

Yes, football fans around the country are well known for their calm, reasoned post-match analysis following a defeat :lol:

I get that OF are a stain on our game but why get worked up about something that's never going to change and you're not going to do anything about? Just a waste of energy.

On 1/10/2019 at 22:51, ListerRRFC said:

I now live in London after moving over a year ago for work. I've bought a Brentford season ticket as they were closest to my flat and even though they're not quite on the same level of diddyness as Raith, it still perplexes people that I chose wee Brentford over one of the Premiership teams.

Absolutely not, I stayed down in the London area for 4 years, went to a few different games and in the end it was Brentford who fucking nailed it for me. 

Great club, great stadium and superbly situated. Next time I'm down I'll tell you in no uncertain terms in the New Inn how the Pars are the big team x

11 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Yes, football fans around the country are well known for their calm, reasoned post-match analysis following a defeat :lol:

I get that OF are a stain on our game but why get worked up about something that's never going to change and you're not going to do anything about? Just a waste of energy.

I mean more in the way of we don't threaten referees or send death threats to goalkeepers and generally think any defeat ever can't be down to the opposition simply being better on the day.

We don't have mad conspiracies with multiple statements and greet about demanding to know who folk are etc.

Not sure what your second paragraph means.

Archived