Supporting yer local

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Standing up is a heinous crime tbf.

Enjoyed that story btw, I used to have the exact same experience in relation to the sweets. A chocolate bar in the first half and a pack of mints in the 2nd. I had to settle for a Tesco Value Orange Juice rather than a Capri-Sun though. 'Too sugary' apparently...

A lost art. These days I get a pie to soak up the alcohol and three drinks as I usually knacker my voice from shouting and because I'm slightly dehydrated from all the beer. I still have a soft spot for Capri Sun at the football to this day and will get one if they're on sale at grounds.

My Dad wasn't really into attending games when I took an interest in the game. I live halfway between Dumbarton and Clydebank and when my boyhood pal offered to let me go to see Dumbarton with him and his Dad, I jumped at the chance. My first game was just after we'd won promotion to the premier in 1984 and it was a 3-0 loss to Ayr. I only made one game in the premier season but after we were relegated I started going on a regular basis for a couple of years. During this time I started high school in Clydebank so decided to keep my football allegiance quiet. It lasted about ten days when a teacher said he'd seen me at Boghead and asked if I'd enjoyed the game. Everyone was pretty cool about it since they were all Celtic fans.

My pal's parents split up and he blamed his Dad so that was the end of that until we were old enough to go on our own. We started doing so when we were 14 but he didn't last long before toddling off to Ibrox with his uncle but I kept going on my own. My first season ticket cost £15 which is the same as I'll pay to get into the Glebe tomorrow!

That's pretty much how I got started. I was a st holder for the next nine years and saw a title win and another promotion as well as back to back relegations followed by finishing bottom of the third. Plenty of ups and downs as we all have.

Life then took me to the Isle of Arran for the next nine years which made getting to games difficult. I still managed occasionally for a couple of years up until the last game at Boghead but then it was another four years until my next game. I was,of course, still supporting from afar. I still wore my Sons strip every Saturday while watching games on ceefax to begin with and then with Mr Stelling. There are still people in the Southend of Arran who look for our scores each week so job done there!

My return coincided with the beginning of a golden era as we won the 3rd division and followed that up by winning the play offs three years later before staying in the Championship for a lot longer than anyone expected. I've made some brilliant friends along the way and I have absolutely no regrets about supporting the Sons.

It's been brilliant!

It's been a brilliant read this thread, thoroughly enjoyed it.  My story is nothing extraordinary and probably similar to many. Was born and brought up in Airdrie.  My dad took me to Broomfield as a young boy and lifted me over the turnstile for years. I suppose I could be described as a glory hunter as the first game I can remember being taken to was the 75 Scottish cup final against Celtic. Top floor of a double decker at the front to Hampden and lost in amongst the hordes of hairy, flared jeans Celtic supporters. While it was not the result we wanted the day lodged in my memory and I was an Airdrie supporter. 1976 and I was taken to Firhill to see us lift the Spring Cup against Davie Cooper's Clydebank. Even got to shake Derek Whiteford's hand as he came off the team bus at Broomfield with the trophy - another memory and experience for the bank. Promotion and Premier league football in the 80's, the Jimmy Bone and Alex McDonald teams - we'll probably never see the likes of Doddies teams again. But I think it was Broomfield that did it for me, could be a glorious intimidating place especially before the fence was put up and the opposing supports were split by a line of police/stewards down the middle. Brilliant when playing Falkirk and  Dunfermline during the mid to late 80's.  Motherwell new year derby's when my dad and uncle and their friends took a carry out to the game. Games against Morton and more recently Ayr have a decent edge to them too.  Also about 4 challenge cup wins in their various guises - I notice some have called it a diddy cup but for lower league teams it's something we all have a realistic chance of winning.  

Bee through some dreadful times too and endured some dreadful teams - Bill Munro, remember him and Gary Mckay teams. But I keep going as that's what supporters of their local teams do.  I think what I'm trying to say is it's the fact that we never know when we are going to experience a good time again, we don't take it for granted, we make the most of it and enjoy every second of it when it does happen.   I don't know but I speak to some old firm supporting guys in the work and in particular the green variety they are bored with what the watch, not exactly good to watch and they know they are going to win, well most of the time. We don't have that sense of entitlement and expectation. 

I'm still going with my old man, he's in his 70's now, he's still not going to renew his season ticket next year cos he says it every year, but I know all going well healthwise, he'll be there renewing with me thinking it's our turn again this season. I'm proud to support my team and I love telling people who I support. 

An interesting thread, and one that raises that whole issue of choice and the 'rightness' of switching allegiance. Mine is fairly similar.

Montrose was always was my local team growing up, though my first live football match was at Pittodrie (1996 I think), it was a freebie from the primary school. Wasn't overly captivated to be honest,  but I became a sporadic visitor to Links Park over the next ten years without being a fully fledged 'fan' I s'pose. I had a few years where I would have classed myself as a Partick Thistle fan though (around 03 - 06/7 I think ) - a couple of friends from school were followers and I got swept along with them, and then after college my first proper g/f was a fairly devout Jags home-and-away type and I spent at least two seasons taking in a lot of games. When that relationship went (badly) tits up the attachment petered out quickly,  but I suspect that whole experience had ingrained the idea of having a team you could enjoy following on a Saturday.  From 2006/7 onwards it's been LP or bust as far as I'm concerned and that will be it for me - I've lived in Aberdeen for most of the subsequent period, but have probably seen more Cove games as a neutral than the Dons. There is definitely something more enjoyable about following a smaller club (even where they are rubbish) that I can't put my finger on.

My auld man lifted me over the turnstyles at Muirton for my first ever big game, circa 1975.

Saints v Airdrie, freezing cauld and a dire game, probably why I don't care for either side but, as mentioned previously, there something about that diamond top that's grudgingly smart.

One thing that a lot of these posts have in common is how close the fan/player relationship is when things are going well. From Marvin Andrews leading a conga and a few others. My experience of that is when we won the 3rd division, the fans had a party on the pitch at Galabank with the trophy being passed around for photo opportunities. We all seem to have player of the year nights where the fans and players mingle and have a great time that doesn't tend to happen at the really big clubs. All the more reason imo to support your local team!

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Shawfield is still there and is a crumbling dug track.

Firs Park is wasteground now- Alan Mackin being prevented from profiting from his dastardly deeds by some kind of covenant on the land and Falkirk Council preventing planning permission.

Annfield is a housing estate- Annfield House itself is an old people's home. I took a trip to the site of the old Annfield last year and Annfield House is useful for getting your bearings as to where the old ground was.

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about East Stirling ground but was there at least once .  I don't know if being left crumbling is worse than becoming a supermarket?

I've enjoyed reading all the views of fans of diddy teams, so I thought I should add my own story.

Like some others, my dad (an occasional Brechin fan) took me to a few games in the mid-50s when I was just a 5 year old. I started going to games on my own after that although I often had to "sneak in" at half time when the gates were opened due to not having the entrance money. I was a regular at home games and soon got a job (unpaid) as a ball boy. Once I got to secondary school, I was helping around the club on a Saturday - arriving around 12.30 and meeting the away bus to carry their hampers to the dressing rooms on a barrow. I put the teas into the dressing rooms at half time, collected the strips and boots in the home dressing room after the game and taking the hampers back to the away bus. I got home around 6.30 and loved every minute of it.

I had to miss a few games in the late '60s and early '70s since I moved to Edinburgh for Uni. Once I got a cheap car, I could get to away games around the central area and arranged trips home to coincide with City home games. I haven't missed many games since then, despite moving round the country for work. I missed our first ever promotion game against Meadowbank since my younger son had the lack of thought to be born that weekend! I wanted to name him after the Brechin team but my wife put her foot down.

I've followed Brechin through thin and thin. I'm proud to say I'm a City fan, despite results going badly. I now live just west of Glasgow but attend every game (home and away). I haven't lived in Brechin for over 50 years, but City is my team! I have friends I meet at every game and I wouldn't change my team for the world.

Sorry for droning on but CTID!

1 hour ago, microdave said:

One thing that a lot of these posts have in common is how close the fan/player relationship is when things are going well. From Marvin Andrews leading a conga and a few others. My experience of that is when we won the 3rd division, the fans had a party on the pitch at Galabank with the trophy being passed around for photo opportunities. We all seem to have player of the year nights where the fans and players mingle and have a great time that doesn't tend to happen at the really big clubs. All the more reason imo to support your local team!

This. I went to ours after we won the First Division in 2002 and it was one of the best nights of my life. Having photos taken with the players and the trophy (the fucking trophy!!) was a rush, especially given the dire straits we'd experienced only 5 seasons previously. 

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I once scared Greg Shields by performing squat thrusts whilst singing Barbie Girl is a falsetto on karaoke.

This was at some player event at a pub in Dunfermline, circa 2005. The look of fear and utter disgust on his face was seemingly one to behold.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's where you and I differ.

Which part?

Absolutely superb thread, with some fantastic stories. There's the potential for a book to be put together if P&B wanted to make some dollah.

Pet peeve though; if you're going for the 42 then it has to feature your own team in a competitive match. None of this watching random games to get grounds ticked off or including friendlies.

Pet peeve though; if you're going for the 42 then it has to feature your own team in a competitive match. None of this watching random games to get grounds ticked off or including friendlies.

Suppose you can do both, have a unofficial 42 then a club 42. Anyone who does the unofficial one is gets my respect as well though. As for the club 42 that is just outstandingly amazing in my opinion and must take years on years to complete

I’m 40 out of 42, all with watching The Rovers since 1995 (Glory Hunter) 

Stranraer the match was actually abandoned, but I’m still counting it.

Annan and Elgin are the 2 senior clubs that remain on my list. 

Archived