Supporting yer local

We have probably all heard it before, why support your local. I have a knob at work that supports The Rangers but never been to Ibrox... Whenever i tell someone i support Raith Rovers most of the time its reply is 'why'? 

So since we have all experienced this, lets make a wee thread sharing stories of the weirdest stuff people have said to you or the biggest glory hunters you know. Even tell me why do you love your team.

Its a long day at work... Please...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support my local because as a youngster I loved auld Bayview, gates opened at ht and I was buzzing climbing the steps to see if there was a decent crowd or not, hooked very quickly really! The rest is history! Tbh I was very lucky, new Bayview wouldn't have had the same appeal to me back then and i could have been a glory hunting bigot who never/rarely attends games. Be proud!

6 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

We have probably all heard it before, why support your local. I have a knob at work that supports The Rangers but never been to Ibrox... Whenever i tell someone i support Raith Rovers most of the time its reply is 'why'? 

So since we have all experienced this, lets make a wee thread sharing stories of the weirdest stuff people have said to you or the biggest glory hunters you know. Even tell me why do you love your team.

Its a long day at work... Please...

I am from Ayr and I support Ayr United. I support the team that represents my hometown because I am proud of where I come from.

I don't care how "shite" people tell me that they are, and believe me I have seen some awful Ayr United teams. However, I still supported them and went to watch them every week because they were still my team.

I don't understand why anyone would choose to support a team from a place that they have no connection to. 

I also don't understand how anyone can claim to support a team that they never go and watch. If you don't go to games then you cannot call yourself a supporter.

I am from Ayr and I support Ayr United. I support the team that represents my hometown because I am proud of where I come from.
I don't care how "shite" people tell me that they are, and believe me I have seen some awful Ayr United teams. However, I still supported them and went to watch them every week because they were still my team.
I don't understand why anyone would choose to support a team from a place that they have no connection to. 
I also don't understand how anyone can claim to support a team that they never go and watch. If you don't go to games then you cannot call yourself a supporter.

This [emoji1419][emoji1419]

Not quite correct. I quite happily remained a Loons supporter when geography and work patterns prevented attendance.

2 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
1 hour ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Not quite correct. I quite happily remained a Loons supporter when geography and work patterns prevented attendance.

It was more of a dig at people from Scotland who "support" English Premiership or European teams despite a) not being from where those teams are from and  b) never going to their matches.

I probably could have worded it better.

I remember getting free school tickets for old Bayview so used to head along every so often. I started following East Fife properly home and away back in 2002 when we were in a title chase with Morton, so perhaps I was a bit of a glory hunter. Brought up in Buckhaven I’m proud to say that I support my local team. Now living in NZ, the excellent highlights package that the volunteers do allows me to still follow East Fife over here.

Nobody goes for the quality.  You go week in week out because once every wee while you'll get games which are beyond belief. See example A: 

Pretty much every club in the league has a day in the sun moment. One you'll talk about to people time and time again. Fans of English clubs and the Old Firm don't really get it. 

Within the past 11 years I've seen Rovers win the league at Hampden, seen them in a Scottish Cup Semi Final after knocking out Aberdeen and Dundee,  beat Hibs in the Scottish Cup  and Rangers in the diddy cup final at Easter Road too. I've also seen us relegated by Brechin and hit the post in the 90th minute to not win a league.  

I wouldn't trade a single moment of those highs for any double treble. I fucking love it. 

It was more of a dig at people from Scotland who "support" English Premiership or European teams despite a) not being from where those teams are from and  b) never going to their matches.
I probably could have worded it better.
You could have but I understood it wasn't quite what you meant regardless.

Ironically, seeing my home town team humiliated gave me one of my greatest footballing memories. 

Coming from Aberdeen, got and get pelters all the time for supporting the Rovers.  Even Aberdeen have their fair share of glory hunters to be honest. 

Got pelters all the time from pals when I was growing up, especially whilst Aberdeen were flying high in Europe under Calderwood. 

The sight of some of my dearest and closest friends scuttling off at full time from the other side of the segregation fence after big Gregory fired the ball home was utterly glorious. 

At the end of the day, we all support shite teams. Some more shite than others, but at this level there's more keech than not.

All part of the fun and makes the good times all the sweeter. Every now and then our teams win something or do something special and it's all worth it. And it's the hope of that happening that keeps us going.  

image.jpg

A friend of a friend at a party once said to me he supports Liverpool (from dunfermline) Asked him why he supports them and why not dunfermline? 

"Liverpool are good to watch on the telly, i went to a dunfermline game v Celtic and they got beat so didnt go back" 

Never spoke to the boy again.

Nobody goes for the quality.  You go week in week out because once every wee while you'll get games which are beyond belief. See example A: 
Pretty much every club in the league has a day in the sun moment. One you'll talk about to people time and time again. Fans of English clubs and the Old Firm don't really get it. 
Within the past 11 years I've seen Rovers win the league at Hampden, seen them in a Scottish Cup Semi Final after knocking out Aberdeen and Dundee,  beat Hibs in the Scottish Cup  and Rangers in the diddy cup final at Easter Road too. I've also seen us relegated by Brechin and hit the post in the 90th minute to not win a league.  
I wouldn't trade a single moment of those highs for any double treble. I fucking love it. 
Absolutely. I left Central Park after a 3 4 Loons victory over Cowdenbeath couple of seasons ago ecstatic. I doubt any big club fan was any happier than me at 5pm.

7 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

A friend of a friend at a party once said to me he supports Liverpool (from dunfermline) Asked him why he supports them and why not dunfermline? 

"Liverpool are good to watch on the telly, i went to a dunfermline game v Celtic and they got beat so didnt go back" 

Never spoke to the boy again.

Did he expect Dunfermline to beat Celtic, like?

3 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Must have done. Said he doesnt pay attention to scottish football, only interested in Liverpool with no context other than he 'likes the way they play'

The way they play? At least he doesn't support them for all the trophies they've won in the past decade.

I'm an Airdrie fan. Missed out on the good times but was taken to my first game by my dad and grandpa at around the age of 3 or 4 and ever since I've been hooked. At work the type of things I get asked are the usual 'if you had to choose' and ' what if Airdrie died again who would you support?

As you would expect I've been getting it tight in the last few weeks from Celtic supporters but Friday just about sums up what most people outside the old firm think of them. I've been giving them it back saying oh it's so many days until the treble treble ends etc to which one replied aye but we are boycotting the Scottish cup. Fuds.

2 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Would the answer is there's a difference between a supporter and a fan (you can, of course, be both. 

Archived