Ancestry.com worth it or pish

D TOTAL

Pish.  My auld da does some history club research thing in his retirement.  I’ve a great admiration for my great uncle Cornelius.  One for having that name.  Secondly because his naval health records show he was a utter mad shagger and caught more than a few doses in his time.  

Top job uncle top job.  He died of dysentery.  Possibly rimming related.

Your distant relatives were called Adam and Eve.
All you need to know and saves you £100.

If you believe in that crap, talking snake and a lady that just got miraculously pregnant

They caught the Golden State Killer in the USA by identifying several distant relatives of his from a DNA site and working through a large family tree until he was confirmed.  So if you are a mass murdering rapist who hasn't been caught, don't put your DNA into these sites, not worth it IMO.

My aunt traced back the family 450-500 years. Absolutely nothing noteworthy, complete waste of years of research imo. Only thing that really caught attention was that several of the women in the family made it past 100 years old which is ridiculous for back then so fair play to them. This was all through records though. Don't think I'd want to be using any of those DNA kits though. Dodgy stuff.

My Dad started doing it when he retired a few years ago, gave him something to occupy his time with.  He found a few interesting characters in the family tree, believe he got over 300 years back.  He gave me print outs of the stuff he found, but it's never really interested me, couldn't really care less tbh.

My sister got into this stuff a few years back, she managed to trace our family back 5 or 6 generations. From what I could tell the whole lot were a bunch of complete no-marks, just like us, making it a complete waste of time. My dad was utterly fascinated by her findings for some reason. The only vaguely interesting things were that a great-great-grandpa of ours was a spirit salesman (I don't think he left me a distillery, unfortunately) and our family name changed its spelling for unclear reasons three or four generations back.

Archived