Aberdeen FC vs Stenhousemuir FC, Scottish Cup Revenge

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The negativity though always astounds me, as soon as stenny scored the willingness to start tearing into the team was unreal. Greg Stewart was suddenly a fat c**t, Scott Wright was shite as you say, considine needs to retire, and on and on.

I really don’t understand not just the need but the clear desire to be that negative at the football.

Genuinely believe there's part of our support who enjoy the dons being beat and playing badly as it gives them an excuse to moan. Used to be rife in the pre-McInnes era. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The_Judge said:

Is this what they call whataboutery?  You shouldn't have to use Celtic or Rangers as a barometer of your behaviour.  Being a c**t is not made okay by pointing at someone else and saying 'well they're a bigger c**t'.

In answer to your question, no, this is not what they, whoever they are, call whataboutery. I think you need to go back and read my post again and try a bit harder to understand what I’m getting at.

1 hour ago, Menzel said:

Genuinely believe there's part of our support who enjoy the dons being beat and playing badly as it gives them an excuse to moan. Used to be rife in the pre-McInnes era in the early 60s. (Perhaps with good reason.)

31 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Discussion for people of our age, which was the worst period to be a Dons fan, the sixties up until 1967ish, or the 2000’s. For me it would probably be the 2000’s because of how good we were earlier. I didn’t know any better in the early sixties so it was still exciting for me.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Discussion for people of our age, which was the worst period to be a Dons fan, the sixties up until 1967ish, or the 2000’s. For me it would probably be the 2000’s because of how good we were earlier. I didn’t know any better in the early sixties so it was still exciting for me.

Aye, you're probably right, I've been away that long I've probably been somewhat insulated from the depressing post Fergie era and the disastrous Ebbe Skovdahl - Mark McGhee era, although I always thought Steve Paterson could have done something big if he'd stayed sober/stopped gambling and Jimmy Calderwood did allright, apart from making a complete arse of the Scottish Cup.

But in the 60s we didn't know any different and when you're young it was, as you say, all fairly exciting. I'm sure people who were our age back then and could remember the 1947 cup win and the League title and the League Cup wins thought it was crap, though.

Last night was a bit of a pounding but I think we can look back on our efforts across the two games with pride. We had a small, depleted squad of players and everyone can emerge with credit (although Ruaridh Donaldson won't want to watch back that own goal - probably one of the wildest I've ever seen). This might sound a bit daft but other than the four goals and the stramash towards the end of the match, I don't think Aberdeen had any major attacks, certainly as the game went on. Whether that's down to us holding them at arm's length or the Dons being ultra ruthless, I don't know; it was probably more of the latter.
I see comments above saying we went "toe to toe with Aberdeen" but I don't think this was the case. They put us on the back foot almost immediately and there were long periods where we didn't see the ball, with the defenders passing it amongst themselves on the halfway line. The first goal was a poor one to concede with the Aberdeen winger (I forget his name) waltzing into the penalty box through an endless series of desperate tackles before teeing up Niall McGinn to finish. It was like playing Fifa when the opposition player has given up and stopped trying to properly control their team. The second, Sam Cosgrove's penalty, could have been avoided but if Graeme Smith hadn't come off his line to block the shot it probably would have ended up in the back of the net anyway. The third, a good finish from Greg Stewart, must be applauded.
The second half was a bit of a non-event. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when Mark Ferry almost scored from 25 yards, leathering a shot into the top corner only to see Joe Lewis inexplicably touch it away. It was good to see Andy Munro scoring with a brilliant header - he's been a good signing for the team so far. For an infinitesimal moment I thought we might make a game of it but Aberdeen took control again, Donaldson scored a wacky own goal and Smith made three superb saves in quick succession.
I don't think Stenhousemuir will learn much from the game but I hope we can show the same dig and desire over the rest of the season. Injuries are really beginning to pile up - we didn't make any substitutions last night and I don't think we could have done anyway. Fair play to Colin McMenamin for naming himself on the bench despite retiring a fortnight ago. Stranraer await on Saturday and it's more important we take something from that match.
Fair play to everyone who attended the game last night, Ochilview can be a brilliant place to be when it's packed out like that.

Certainly enjoyed my visit last night, much more than in 95!

Best of luck for the rest of the season. Hope you can stay up.

11 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, you're probably right, I've been away that long I've probably been somewhat insulated from the depressing post Fergie era and the disastrous Ebbe Skovdahl - Mark McGhee era, although I always thought Steve Paterson could have done something big if he'd stayed sober/stopped gambling and Jimmy Calderwood did allright, apart from making a complete arse of the Scottish Cup.

But in the 60s we didn't know any different and when you're young it was, as you say, all fairly exciting. I'm sure people who were our age back then and could remember the 1947 cup win and the League title and the League Cup wins thought it was crap, though.

Absolutely! It’s all relative, isn’t it. The youngsters who were starting to go when Derek McInnes took over, are in for a major disappointment in a few years......probably.

Lovely day out. Top marks on the Station Hotel recommendation, excellent boozer.

The game was enjoyable enough, pretty routine, but nice to see plenty of goals. Nobody stands out as playing particularly poorly, Stewart and Shinnie looked good. Shinnie’s running in particular was brilliant. He just doesn’t stop.

I’m enjoying the road to redemption that this Scottish Cup run is turning out to be. Purging the demons of the past. Stenny - pumped, QotS - next. Hopefully we get East Fife in the quarters, Hearts in the Semis and, obviously, Celtic in the final. Let’s batter them aaaallll.

27 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I’m enjoying the road to redemption that this Scottish Cup run is turning out to be. Purging the demons of the past. Stenny - pumped, QotS - next. Hopefully we get East Fife in the quarters, Hearts in the Semis and, obviously, Celtic in the final. Let’s batter them aaaallll.

Let's get past QotS first! Although have we not beaten them in the Scottish Cup since that game?

Archived