Aberdeen FC vs Stenhousemuir FC, Scottish Cup Revenge

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a Stenhousemuir prospective I thought our biggest mistake on the night was to go to toe to toe with Aberdeen in the first ten minutes.  It was never going to be sustainable and after a while  they started to enjoy the room they were given.

It was a tie that ultimately we were never going to win but during the two matches  I like to think that we gave a team who are apparently the second best in Scotland a scare or two and we scored two cracking goals in the process.

Hands up the OG was a belter though.  It totally killed us and we were hanging on at the end.

I will watch their game on the TV with QoS with interest.  It ain’t going to be an easy game for the Dons.

Good luck in the next round.

Watched the game 'as live' on RedTV International this morning without knowing the result. Shinnie looked our best performer, I thought, but some of his set-pieces were honking (not just him, mind). Wright was very bright for most of the game, but needs to build on that performance against top-flight teams when he gets opportunities. Stewart and McGinn's goals were both well taken. I didn't think Cosgrove played particularly well, but I usually think he struggles more without May. Overall, much more like what was expected from the first game, except for a sloppy twenty or so minutes between half-time and Donaldson's own-goal. 

Don't for one minute think we were going to recover the game but we were doing well and if we had  managed to sneak a 2nd at least it would have got the crowd excited. And then Ruaridh's moment of madness.

In the end it was it was a damage limitation exercise - hopefully no more injuries.

Enjoyable night in Stenhousemuir.
Positives from tonight:
Superb first half. Good performances from Shinnie, Ferguson, Wright, Mackay-Steven, Stewart and nice to see Ethan Ross get a few minutes.
Brilliant og right in front of me.
Good hot dog.
Negatives from tonight:
Some of our fans. Particularly those singing a disgusting song about Ryan Jack and the Ian Durrant song, get over it lads, particularly when we’re not even playing Rangers.
And two or three idiots right behind me who thought it funny all night to say “oh, it’s Sh*tey on the ball again” every time Scott Wright got the ball. Also pretty constant abuse for Shinnie, Logan, Mackay-Steven and McGinn. Who needs your support guys? Stay away.
But nice to be in the next round in a comfortable manner, apart from letting Stenhousemuir play with us for 15 minutes or so at the start of the second half. Let’s make sure Stephen Debbie is kept quiet at Pittodrie.

There was a few drunk laddies in the away end last night, I was directly behind the goal so we must’ve been fairly close to each other. In terms of singing the biggest abomination for me was the extended singing of ‘we all dream of a team of considine’s’. The Ryan jack stuff is just cringeworthy. Daft wee boys who can’t handle their beer.

The negativity though always astounds me, as soon as stenny scored the willingness to start tearing into the team was unreal. Greg Stewart was suddenly a fat c**t, Scott Wright was shite as you say, considine needs to retire, and on and on.

I really don’t understand not just the need but the clear desire to be that negative at the football.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

There was a few drunk laddies in the away end last night, I was directly behind the goal so we must’ve been fairly close to each other. In terms of singing the biggest abomination for me was the extended singing of ‘we all dream of a team of considine’s’. The Ryan jack stuff is just cringeworthy. Daft wee boys who can’t handle their beer.

The negativity though always astounds me, as soon as stenny scored the willingness to start tearing into the team was unreal. Greg Stewart was suddenly a fat c**t, Scott Wright was shite as you say, considine needs to retire, and on and on.

I really don’t understand not just the need but the clear desire to be that negative at the football.

I was in the Dons end last night. Singing about anything to do with the old firm, as they did last night, when you're away in a cup game at Stenny, is pretty small time if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I was in the Dons end last night. Singing about anything to do with the old firm, as they did last night, when you're away in a cup game at Stenny, is pretty small time if you ask me.

Good to know, thanks.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was slightly to the left of the goal, and the guys singing about Ryan Jack seemed to be right behind the goal so a little away from me, but they didn’t sound like wee laddies. I actually liked the Considine song! Talking about Greg Stewart’s size, being as close to the pitch last night, you could see that he is about half the size that he was when he first came to us at the start of last season. He should be a really important player for us in the next four months, looks great so far.

23 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I was slightly to the left of the goal, and the guys singing about Ryan Jack seemed to be right behind the goal so a little away from me, but they didn’t sound like wee laddies. I actually liked the Considine song! Talking about Greg Stewart’s size, being as close to the pitch last night, you could see that he is about half the size that he was when he first came to us at the start of last season. He should be a really important player for us in the next four months, looks great so far.

Yeah Stewart is clearly in much better shape.

He was great last night, his little touches and passes show a great intelligence that we've been sorely lacking at times.  

31 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I went to Celtic away earlier this season

Can overlook daft young lads acting the c**t but fully grown men singing about peados and Jimmy Saville is so fucking cringey

Every support has their wallopers and we are most definitely not immune 

Couldn’t agree more. The difference between us and most other teams fans, and the fans of Celtic and Rangers, is that our, and other teams decent fans, will admit that some of the songs that are sung by our morons are horrible, unnecessary and downright wrong, whereas fans of the other two will never ever do that. 

Last night was a bit of a pounding but I think we can look back on our efforts across the two games with pride. We had a small, depleted squad of players and everyone can emerge with credit (although Ruaridh Donaldson won't want to watch back that own goal - probably one of the wildest I've ever seen). This might sound a bit daft but other than the four goals and the stramash towards the end of the match, I don't think Aberdeen had any major attacks, certainly as the game went on. Whether that's down to us holding them at arm's length or the Dons being ultra ruthless, I don't know; it was probably more of the latter.

I see comments above saying we went "toe to toe with Aberdeen" but I don't think this was the case. They put us on the back foot almost immediately and there were long periods where we didn't see the ball, with the defenders passing it amongst themselves on the halfway line. The first goal was a poor one to concede with the Aberdeen winger (I forget his name) waltzing into the penalty box through an endless series of desperate tackles before teeing up Niall McGinn to finish. It was like playing Fifa when the opposition player has given up and stopped trying to properly control their team. The second, Sam Cosgrove's penalty, could have been avoided but if Graeme Smith hadn't come off his line to block the shot it probably would have ended up in the back of the net anyway. The third, a good finish from Greg Stewart, must be applauded.

The second half was a bit of a non-event. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when Mark Ferry almost scored from 25 yards, leathering a shot into the top corner only to see Joe Lewis inexplicably touch it away. It was good to see Andy Munro scoring with a brilliant header - he's been a good signing for the team so far. For an infinitesimal moment I thought we might make a game of it but Aberdeen took control again, Donaldson scored a wacky own goal and Smith made three superb saves in quick succession.

I don't think Stenhousemuir will learn much from the game but I hope we can show the same dig and desire over the rest of the season. Injuries are really beginning to pile up - we didn't make any substitutions last night and I don't think we could have done anyway. Fair play to Colin McMenamin for naming himself on the bench despite retiring a fortnight ago. Stranraer await on Saturday and it's more important we take something from that match.

Fair play to everyone who attended the game last night, Ochilview can be a brilliant place to be when it's packed out like that.

10 hours ago, TrebleTwenty said:

Why not man up & tell them there & then?

kingjoey's near my age. Do you want to see a headline in the P&J "NE OAP assaulted by fellow Dons' fans"?

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The difference between us and most other teams fans, and the fans of Celtic and Rangers, is that our, and other teams decent fans, will admit that some of the songs that are sung by our morons are horrible, unnecessary and downright wrong, whereas fans of the other two will never ever do that. 

Is this what they call whataboutery?  You shouldn't have to use Celtic or Rangers as a barometer of your behaviour.  Being a c**t is not made okay by pointing at someone else and saying 'well they're a bigger c**t'.

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

I went to Celtic away earlier this season

Can overlook daft young lads acting the c**t but fully grown men singing about peados and Jimmy Saville is so fucking cringey

Every support has their wallopers and we are most definitely not immune 

Agreed.  Even before you get to the 'is it offensive' argument, its just fucking embarrassing seeing middle aged guys singing songs like that.  Weird behaviour.

10 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Is this what they call whataboutery?  You shouldn't have to use Celtic or Rangers as a barometer of your behaviour.  Being a c**t is not made okay by pointing at someone else and saying 'well they're a bigger c**t'.

Not really.

He's not saying, we're fine because Celtic and Rangers are worse.  He's saying that we actually hold ourselves accountable and are embarrassed by the cretins in our support.  Instead of engaging in whataboutery as is what happens in Glasgow very often.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not really.

He's not saying, we're fine because Celtic and Rangers are worse.  He's saying that we actually hold ourselves accountable and are embarrassed by the cretins in our support.  Instead of engaging in whataboutery as is what happens in Glasgow very often.

Accountable...? 

Archived