Aberdeen FC vs Stenhousemuir FC, Scottish Cup Revenge

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Is it true that Aberdeen have never beaten Stenhousemuir?

Is it also true that you have only ever met  once in history?

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/stats/headtohead.cfm?set=1

According to the Aberdeen Heritage website we have played 5 times - not sure if the Northern League or Regional League East counts?

Aberdeen will go into this as underdogs due to the history but I still reckon they will give us a half decent game.

We are in red hot form though so I think we will squeak it 3-2. McGuigan and Dickson with a brace each.

2 hours ago, Razor s said:

5 times? Played twice it shows in 1903 both 1-1 draws? Then 1995 2-0 warriors, what were the other scores? 

Season 1994-95
18 Feb 1995   Stenhousemuir 2 - 0 Aberdeen Scottish Cup R4 3,452

Season 1939-40
04 May 1940   Stenhousemuir 0 - 0 Aberdeen Regional League East 0
02 Dec 1939   Aberdeen 6 - 1 Stenhousemuir Regional League East 4,000

Season 1903-04
12 Sep 1903   Stenhousemuir 1 - 1 Aberdeen Northern League 4,000
15 Aug 1903   Aberdeen 1 - 1 Stenhousemuir Northern League 8,000

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

On 11/01/2019 at 07:46, Dons_1988 said:

Stenhousemuir is a cloud that’s been hovering over pittodrie for generations.

A win here would truly lift that burden and possibly pave the way for a league and cup double in May.

Huge game.

possibly...

It’ll be interesting to see how many of our previously injured players start this one. Derek McInnes did say that, although Logan didn’t play in the weekend game, he will be available for Stenny match. I would imagine that Reynolds or Hoban will partner McKenna with Considine going out to left back. Mackay-Steven back, or kept on the bench until Wednesday at Hamilton? Looking forward to the match after the few weeks break.

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It’ll be interesting to see how many of our previously injured players start this one. Derek McInnes did say that, although Logan didn’t play in the weekend game, he will be available for Stenny match. I would imagine that Reynolds or Hoban will partner McKenna with Considine going out to left back. Mackay-Steven back, or kept on the bench until Wednesday at Hamilton? Looking forward to the match after the few weeks break.

Would Hoban be ready as he didn’t play in the friendly i don’t think. Would like to see Gleeson or Forrester getting a start in this. Need to be given a chance at some point and if not a game like this then when?

1 hour ago, shootingboots said:

I was there on that fateful day in February 1995. What a thought for this early in the morning. :unsure:

I think you'll be able to rest easy come 4.45 on Saturday. That was a decent Warriors side who had already tanked St Johnstone 4-0 and were top of the league. The team who'll face Aberdeen on Saturday are of a slightly inferior quality, to put it mildly .

We'll be lucky to keep it in single figures. 8 - 3 to Aberdeen being my prediction - McGuigan with a double, Dickson and Donaldson with the other 2.

Mon the Warriors

I was also there in 1995.

It was a strange season.

Willie Miller hadn't been content with finishing second to the former rangers, changed too much at once - and despite a lot of decent players, we were a shambles and looking certs for our first ever relegation.

His assistant Aitken was given the job - and the former rangers were pumped in his first match.

Positive momentum and next up was a "favourable" draw in the cup tie at Stenhousemuir, Larbert, North Falkirk or whatever they class it as.

Wee warning that they'd hammered St Johnstone in the previous round, but they were lower league themselves at the time. These things happen.

Muddy pitch, Terry Christie's duffel coat, that horrible blue and yellow away strip, radioheads telling us of our eggchasers winning in Paris, McCowans Toffee factory, Tommy Steele ................the rest is history and our non-wartime record against Stenny remains WON ZERO.

Everyone singing 'One Willie Miller' on the way out of the ground.

We ultimately survived in the top flight via a play-off vs Pars, after winning an effective relegation decider against the Jutes.

Next season won the league cup, then spent the next ten years generally being fkin awful......

Archived