Brechin City -vs- Dumbarton

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, brechincity said:

3 points at long last but what a relief once that ball finally ended up over the line.

Thought wee Burns had a brilliant game and deserving of his MotM, not forgetting Paddys brilliant save and the bottom right hand corner.

It's no coincidence that our defence is looking more confident now with Paddy in goal. 

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It's no coincidence that our defence is looking more confident now with Paddy in goal. 

I go to quite a lot of games and I don’t think the defence has been the problem at all, our back 4 is as good as any in this league and better than most, if anything they have get us in games, it’s good to see mcclean back at right back aswell he’s been very good the last two games also, the midfield has been a massive issue for us since we got promoted, I’d still like another winger in and another cm and striker, Scott Robertson is just what we needed, takes the ball keeps it simple and picks up second ball, paddy had a great save against dumbarton but I also feel he might have done better for the Arbroath goal, I hope he gets a run tho

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

36 seconds in, watch Paton nearly break his spine trying to NOT head a cross away.

I thought at the time that Paton's first booking was harsh, but watching it back it's ridiculously harsh. He goes for the ball, Burns gets there before him and he clips him. It's not high, dangerous, forceful or malicious. He's just not quick enough. He conceded two fouls in the entire game and got booked for both. I've been impressed by how lenient the referees have been this season, but Kevin Graham Gavin Duncan (knew it was a guy with two first names!) was horribly inconsistent yesterday. 

The second was really daft though. I know he's not a full-back, but he's an experienced player. Surely he knows that's a crazy risk to take. Full deserved to be sent-off for that alone tbh.

55 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

At the 2nd foul he seems exposed by Hutton and Paton ends up turning to tackle the player running in behind him. Hutts certainly seems bothered by something after it

Come on. That is no one's fault but Paton's. He is playing out of position but everything about the tackle is wrong. Wrong side, from behind with the wrong foot.

I thought at the time that Paton's first booking was harsh, but watching it back it's ridiculously harsh. He goes for the ball, Burns gets there before him and he clips him. It's not high, dangerous, forceful or malicious. He's just not quick enough. He conceded two fouls in the entire game and got booked for both. I've been impressed by how lenient the referees have been this season, but Kevin Graham was horribly inconsistent yesterday. 
The second was really daft though. I know he's not a full-back, but he's an experienced player. Surely he knows that's a crazy risk to take. Full deserved to be sent-off for that alone tbh.

The ref went through a twenty minute spell in the second half where he seemed to book every foul

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

The ref went through a twenty minute spell in the second half where he seemed to book every foul

It's strange how referees seem to have an aversion to an early booking, but no issue dishing them out as the game goes on.

Obviously a few are handed out because of persistent fouling (Ben Armour yesterday for example, a  decision the referee got spot on) but it seems like, for the first half an hour, a lot of referees will let almost anything go. If a foul is a booking, it's a booking. Doesn't matter who the player in question is, or what minute is on the clock.

As I said though, I've been impressed with the standard of officiating in League One this season.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

Counting directors, hospitality, kit men, st John's ambulance and subs.

If they'd claimed 250 I wouldn't have been surprised

Brechin have, in my lifetime, always had poor crowds. Yet, they’ve consistently had very decent teams and been competitive. I wonder who bankrolls them, because they certainly aren’t making money from gate receipts. Stranraer and Cowdenbeath (until recently) have been similar cases.

14 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I thought at the time that Paton's first booking was harsh, but watching it back it's ridiculously harsh. He goes for the ball, Burns gets there before him and he clips him. It's not high, dangerous, forceful or malicious. He's just not quick enough. He conceded two fouls in the entire game and got booked for both. I've been impressed by how lenient the referees have been this season, but Kevin Graham Gavin Duncan (knew it was a guy with two first names!) was horribly inconsistent yesterday. 

The ref was having a good game but for some reason decided that he needed to start booking players.

Maybe our friend Matt had something to do with it ...........whispering sweet nothings in his earpiece !!!!!:lol:8)

15 hours ago, Overthehedge1 said:

I go to quite a lot of games and I don’t think the defence has been the problem at all, our back 4 is as good as any in this league and better than most, if anything they have get us in games, it’s good to see mcclean back at right back aswell he’s been very good the last two games also, the midfield has been a massive issue for us since we got promoted, I’d still like another winger in and another cm and striker, Scott Robertson is just what we needed, takes the ball keeps it simple and picks up second ball, paddy had a great save against dumbarton but I also feel he might have done better for the Arbroath goal, I hope he gets a run tho

As bad as the midfield has been , we have lost some horrendous goals  due to defensive blunders.   The mistakes have been fewer since Paddy has arrived.  Dougie Hill, for one,   looks more like a defender again these last few games.  Burns getting MOM also adds testament to that.  Tapping for me has been quite solid too. 

Agree about Robertson though .  He is starting to help the likes of Ewan Smith get back to the form they showed before . 

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

As bad as the midfield has been , we have lost some horrendous goals  due to defensive blunders.   The mistakes have been fewer since Paddy has arrived.  Dougie Hill, for one,   looks more like a defender again these last few games.  Burns getting MOM also adds testament to that.  Tapping for me has been quite solid too. 

Agree about Robertson though .  He is starting to help the likes of Ewan Smith get back to the form they showed before . 

I agree hill looks back at it, had a dip n form but has been excellent since airdrie, I’m struggling to think of a blunder from any of our defenders that have cost us tho,

mcgeever at east fife is all Iv got,

tge best form of defence is attack so I’m hoping for at least a striker and attacking midfielder 

Archived