Brechin City -vs- Dumbarton

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/01/2019 at 16:58, Jumbo Muir said:

And they want people to spend their hard earned on season tickets ?

I don't mean to be a dick here, but what exactly do you want the club to say? Don't buy a season ticket, we're fucking shite? Wait until we've got a better team before you come back and support us?

I don't see the logic of "I'm not paying to watch that shite" but each to their own.

56 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Another one of our inspired decisions to swap Dougie Hill for Ross Perry.

Did we decide we didn't want Dougie? I can't remember but I'd imagine he probably wanted away due anyway due to lack of football last season.

On the face of things if we were spending less money on Perry as back up to what we all thought was a decent Centre back pairing of Dowie and Barr I don't think it was that back a decision. I doubt any Dumbarton fan was that bothered before a competitive ball was kicked.

Perry also hasn't been that bad with us - he's just not fit due to playing through an injury for weeks at the start of the season.

14 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Did we decide we didn't want Dougie?

We released him, so yes.

14 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Perry also hasn't been that bad with us - he's just not fit due to playing through an injury for weeks at the start of the season.

That's dubious... Either way, he's been a poor signing and Dougie Hill is clearly a far better player. A better back-up than Perry was needed, especially when you had the ageing Dowie and injury-prone Barr.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

We released him, so yes.

That's dubious... Either way, he's been a poor signing and Dougie Hill is clearly a far better player. A better back-up than Perry was needed, especially when you had the ageing Dowie and injury-prone Barr.

Neither player spent any length of time out last year so why would we have expected them to do so this season? Hindsight is a great thing but nobody knew Barr was going to end up out injured.

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

We released him, so yes.

Dougie Hill is 33 though so if we were looking for back up for ageing players you're not going to choose a 33 year old. And Perry hasn't been that bad when playing at centre half rather than full back

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Dougie Hill is 33 though so if we were looking for back up for ageing players you're not going to choose a 33 year old. And Perry hasn't been that bad when playing at centre half rather than full back

If you’d had a straight up choice between Hill and Perry, would you honestly have chosen Perry? 

Clearly that wasn’t quite the case (because Aitken had already spunked the budget and signed Perry because he was affordable and pals with Durrant) but you can’t claim Perry is anywhere near as good as Hill.

49 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

If you’d had a straight up choice between Hill and Perry, would you honestly have chosen Perry? 

Clearly that wasn’t quite the case (because Aitken had already spunked the budget and signed Perry because he was affordable and pals with Durrant) but you can’t claim Perry is anywhere near as good as Hill.

We weren't signing a 1st choice and couldn't give any guarantee to Dougie Hill that he would be getting game time. It came down to who we could afford. Hill spent most of last season on the bench because we had others ahead of him. I actually thought early last season that Hill was better than Mango and I'd have had Barr on the bench but as the season progressed CB really came onto his game and proved to be an asset to the team. Aitken got a lot of things wrong but I don't think this was one of them.

12 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

We weren't signing a 1st choice and couldn't give any guarantee to Dougie Hill that he would be getting game time. It came down to who we could afford. Hill spent most of last season on the bench because we had others ahead of him. I actually thought early last season that Hill was better than Mango and I'd have had Barr on the bench but as the season progressed CB really came onto his game and proved to be an asset to the team. Aitken got a lot of things wrong but I don't think this was one of them.

Early last season Dowie was all over the shop, and the general consensus seemed to be that Mango and Hill would be our strongest pairing. After Dowie's red card against Dunfermline, Aitken stuck with Hill and Mango after a smashing performance at Tannadice, and didn't recall Dowie until Carsy got injured and Mango moved into midfield (which really didn't work).

Hill was a good player who I've got a lot of time for. He'd throw himself at anything and did well for us considering he was 32/33 and had spent a few seasons in League One. Ultimately though, with Mango already contracted and Dowie signing up, he'd want to be playing football every week and (at the start of the season) that's not something we could offer him.

Perry will go down as one of Aitken's weirdest signings imo. Nothing against the guy at all, but he's spent the last few seasons playing (and struggling) in a garbage Clyde team, and a relegated Albion Rovers team.

53 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Early last season Dowie was all over the shop, and the general consensus seemed to be that Mango and Hill would be our strongest pairing. After Dowie's red card against Dunfermline, Aitken stuck with Hill and Mango after a smashing performance at Tannadice, and didn't recall Dowie until Carsy got injured and Mango moved into midfield (which really didn't work).

Hill was a good player who I've got a lot of time for. He'd throw himself at anything and did well for us considering he was 32/33 and had spent a few seasons in League One. Ultimately though, with Mango already contracted and Dowie signing up, he'd want to be playing football every week and (at the start of the season) that's not something we could offer him.

Perry will go down as one of Aitken's weirdest signings imo. Nothing against the guy at all, but he's spent the last few seasons playing (and struggling) in a garbage Clyde team, and a relegated Albion Rovers team.

The Perry signing isn't weird really, we all said at the time that signing guff like Perry was a consequence of getting in guys like Loy and Forbes, it was a gamble that has massively blown up our face.

Darren Miller is, and always will be, Aitken's weirdest signing, closely followed by Ryan Stevenson (although he redeemed himself a bit with that one).

Just now, The Moonster said:

The Perry signing isn't weird really, we all said at the time that signing guff like Perry was a consequence of getting in guys like Loy and Forbes, it was a gamble that has massively blown up our face.

Darren Miller is, and always will be, Aitken's weirdest signing, closely followed by Ryan Stevenson (although he redeemed himself a bit with that one).

I suppose your right in that regard, but signing a player who really hasn't had a single good season at senior level (at least judging by the comments made by plenty of fans of his former clubs) was pretty wild. Even Miller, to his credit, had a decent season with Queen's Park. He had just fallen out with McPherson.

Osei-Obengo has to be the weirdest overall though. Or maybe Kler Heh actually given he was on loan from a pretty big club a few hundred miles away.

2 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I suppose your right in that regard, but signing a player who really hasn't had a single good season at senior level (at least judging by the comments made by plenty of fans of his former clubs) was pretty wild. Even Miller, to his credit, had a decent season with Queen's Park. He had just fallen out with McPherson.

Osei-Obengo has to be the weirdest overall though. Or maybe Kler Heh actually given he was on loan from a pretty big club a few hundred miles away.

There really was quite a few during Aitken's era if you think hard enough. Craig Pettigrew.

Craig Pettigrew had done well at Stranraer the previous season, I'm sure. The Championship was too big a step for him but he was pretty decent under Stevie Aitken at the Blues.
We punted Scott Taggart to sign him, a guy who was an accomplished Championship right back and hadn't put a foot wrong for us. Pettigrew was absolutely brutal and left after half a season.

25 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Craig Pettigrew had done well at Stranraer the previous season, I'm sure. The Championship was too big a step for him but he was pretty decent under Stevie Aitken at the Blues.

Plenty Stranraer fans seemed baffled that we'd gone for him at the time, many thought the lad Rumsby would step up but didn't think Pettigrew was any great shakes. AS BBPF says, we binned Scott Taggart for Pettigrew too which made it all the weirder.

30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
34 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We punted Scott Taggart to sign him, a guy who was an accomplished Championship right back and hadn't put a foot wrong for us. Pettigrew was absolutely brutal and left after half a season.

This was the turning point for me.

18 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Did Dumbarton really play Ross Forbes and Michael Paton as their full-backs on Saturday? That's amazing.

Reminds me of when Pars had to put Austin McCann and Scott Muirhead at centre back against Morton.

Not quite. Forbes was in midfield with Ballantyne (our RB) at LB.

Archived