Brechin City -vs- Dumbarton

Big game this...

Dumbarton winless away from home since the first weekend in August travel north to take on Brechin City, who last tasted success on their own patch back in early November - but since then haven't won a single game...In fact since then they haven't picked up a single point.

The games between the clubs so far have both produced five goals, and have given supporters of both sides an unusual feeling. Victory.

Back in August Stevie Aitken's Dumbarton were 2-0 up and cruising with just over 25 minutes remaining, only for the Hedgemen to produce a ridiculous comeback that brought an injury time winner.

Fast forward to early December, and it was Jim Duffy's Dumbarton who sent their fans home happy, with Dom Thomas in unplayable form during a 4-1 Sons win. If Dumbarton are to repeat that this weekend they'll have to do so without Thomas, as the already stretched, broken and uninspiring squad becomes even more stretched, broken and uninspiring. 

Realistically we'll need reinforcements before this, but given there aren't even any rumours kicking about (at this early stage) I'm already preparing myself for disappointment on the signings front. Assuming nobody does come in I'd like to see us go for something like this.

Chris Smith

Cammy Ballantyne Andy Dowie Stuart Carswell Ross Forbes

Michael Paton Brad Spencer Kyle Hutton Bobby Barr

Ryan Thomson Calum Gallagher

We simply cannot continue with Dyer at left-back, and the central midfield duo of Forbes and Hutton can be overrun by a pensioner with a double hip replacement. Popping Forbes back to left-back isn't the long-term solution (his best place is the wing in a 4-4-2 imo) but for this one I'd be happy to have him shoring up the defence a wee bit. He can still influence things from back there too.

Further forward Brad Spencer gives us legs in midfield and a box-to-box threat. He'll also cover for Hutton's lack of pace and mobility. The wingers pick themselves, and hopefully Bobby Barr can continue his decent form without feeling the urge to square up to any Brechin fans :lol:

Up top big Ryan Thomson has been a nuisance in his two substitute appearances since returning from injury and, if we'd kept Thomas, I'd have been keen to try the two of them up top together. Although given how few goals both have scored in their careers it does highlight how badly we need a striker this month. 

If we do get a few players in then something like this would do*.

Danny Rogers

Cammy Ballantyne Luca Gasparotto Stuart Carswell Calum Waters

Ross Forbes Kyle Hutton Brad Spencer Bobby Barr

Jai Quitongo Greig Spence

Spoiler

*:whistle

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

I see that our old friend Mat Northcroft will be running the line this weekend. If it's the Hedge-side then that could be fun.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3905

Your friend .......our friend........everyone's friend !!    

Don't know what all the fuss is about !   :rolleyes:

On 1/7/2019 at 16:05, Boghead ranter said:

Game of the weekend in Scotland, if not the UK, imo.

It's not the game (or second game for that matter) of the weekend in Angus, let alone the UK.
If Brechin Vics are playing at home, it's not even the biggest game in Brechin.

Brechin have to be targeting this as a must-win. Given the shambolic state of our squad, a draw would do us just fine.
I honestly think we need to be targetting a win here. A gap is starting to form at the bottom of the league and we're in real danger of being marooned. I think when you take into consideration our form, lack of fit players and inability to win away from home a draw isn't a bad result but realisticly we need a win to try and drag ourselves away from the relegation battle against a side who are in even worse form than ourselves.

FWIW I think going into what is arguably our biggest game of the season so far with only 11 fit players is a bit of a shambles. We really need some urgency in terms of signings given our lack of numbers. I don't think any team can survive in a league with only 1 or 2 fit subs per week nevermind 0. There's still a couple of days away from the game so fingers crossed something happens between then and now but even 1 signing wont really be enough. I'd be bulking up the bench with trialists if I was Duffy or we could be risking playing the majority of the match with 10 men if we get an injury early doors.

Imo we 100% have to be targetting six points from our next two games (Brechin away, Montrose home). After that we've got Airdrie, Raith, Stranraer, East Fife and Arbroath. The Diamonds are flying under Muzz, Raith are always decent, Stranraer have a hex over us at Stair Park, East Fife are having an excellent season (apart from against us) and Arbroath are basically just ticking off the days until they get the trophy. 

In our current state 0 points from those five games isn't inconceivable. 

Just now, Best Team in Angus said:

I really cannot see us getting anything out of this, but stranger things have happened just ask the loons   :lol:

I know your form has been worse than ours, but seriously, if you can't beat a team with 11 fit outfield players (one of whom is yer man Willie Dyer) then you should just be relegated on the spot.

With two additional players (Dom Thomas being one) we only scraped a draw with Stenny. Unless we bring in a couple over the next 48 hours then I don't give us a chance.

Archived