Berwick Rangers v Clyde.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kind of agree that McNiff may be 4th choice now, last month he was probably our number 1 choice but through no fault of his own .it is testament to the guy who have come in and stepped up , not a bad problem to have with 4 very competent centre halfs. Things are going along nicely atm, 2 good wing back in Cuddihy and Stewart, midfield seems to have a good balance  with the added bonus of a reborn Rankin running the show, DGW up front  is a nightmare to any defence and so many players on the sidelines who would most likely start for most teams in this division  itching to get involved, good times. Would still like another striker brought in though.
I must admit I did think our squad was short of a player or two to challenge for the title but the defence has tightened up midfield chipping in with goals now As said our only Achilles heel will be losing DGW be great if we could get another striker in a collective crossing of the fingers required troops [emoji6]

47 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

I kind of agree that McNiff may be 4th choice now, last month he was probably our number 1 choice but through no fault of his own .it is testament to the guy who have come in and stepped up , not a bad problem to have with 4 very competent centre halfs. Things are going along nicely atm, 2 good wing back in Cuddihy and Stewart, midfield seems to have a good balance  with the added bonus of a reborn Rankin running the show, DGW up front  is a nightmare to any defence and so many players on the sidelines who would most likely start for most teams in this division  itching to get involved, good times. Would still like another striker brought in though.

Whether he was already carrying an injury or not is unknown- but Martin was utterly rank in his last game v Berwick- 

For me it's got to be Rumsby and Cogill at centre back. Lang close behind them as 3rd choice. Then McNiff.

All very competent though which is refreshing compared to previous years.

Was thinking earlier, mind the days we had guys like Mark Casey, JP Hutchison, Willie Sawyers, Div McGowan in the team. Now we've got Goodwillie, Rankin, Cogill, Grant, McStay and Lamont to name a few.

Changed days, and a very exciting time to support the Clyde!

12 minutes ago, haufdaft said:
1 hour ago, HughieMc said:
Whether he was already carrying an injury or not is unknown- but Martin was utterly rank in his last game v Berwick- 

Hughie, would you prefer Lang or McNiff at centre half?

McNiff- all day long 

This might be unpopular- but we need ( in my opinion) a goalkeeper-
I think Currie is fine. He's not the best keeper in the league. He's made a few mistakes and doesn't always look comfortable with crosses into the box but he's good with the ball at his feet which is pivotal to the way we play. His kicking can also cause quick counter attacks.

Only player I would be trying to bring in is a striker but that will be difficult. Whoever we bring in would be starting on the bench every game assuming Goodwillie is fit which will narrow down the options further.

I think Currie is fine. He's not the best keeper in the league. He's made a few mistakes and doesn't always look comfortable with crosses into the box but he's good with the ball at his feet which is pivotal to the way we play. His kicking can also cause quick counter attacks.

Only player I would be trying to bring in is a striker but that will be difficult. Whoever we bring in would be starting on the bench every game assuming Goodwillie is fit which will narrow down the options further.
We could bring in someone to play up with him

Unless we can bring in an attacking mid who could step up top if Goodie takes an injury- don’t think we can have luxury of bench striker of the quality we’d need.

His kicking good- and to give credit the ball out to Goodie at Peterhead last week started the attack for the winning goal- 

But this has to be in addition and supplemental to the basics of being a keeper and I don’t think he’s commanding enough in his box- suspect at crosses and just generally does not inspire confidence.

Of course that’s just my opinion and I could be wrong- it’s Danny’s decision and his alone. Just interesting to debate and discuss.

Has Goodwillie any history of being able to play with a second striker? I didn't pay that much attention to his career before he came to us.

He looks to me like a player who prefers to play up front on his own.

We definitely need someone in as cover for him. Although I can see that will be difficult.

We have conceded 2 goals in the last 6 games and you would waste budget on another goalkeeper?

Hardly a priority!
Think it's like any position if we can improve it then go for it however if we could only bring in one player would be a striker all depends on what the manager thinks but at the moment the team is buzzing long may it continue

We could bring in someone to play up with him
Nobody plays with two up front any more and can't see Lennon changing a formation that is working for us.

Syvertsen came on for the last 10 mins to play up front yesterday. He's got the build to play up front and good with the ball at his feet but no idea if his finishing is good. Might be an option.

58 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

One of the main frustrations for me when it comes to needing to supplement or mitigate for Goodwillie is that we signed David Hopkirk, who had previously excelled playing as a striker, on either wing or in behind. He would've been ideal, so it's a shame that one didn't work out. 

Did it ever come out exactly why he never played?

Nobody plays with two up front any more and can't see Lennon changing a formation that is working for us.

Syvertsen came on for the last 10 mins to play up front yesterday. He's got the build to play up front and good with the ball at his feet but no idea if his finishing is good. Might be an option.
Well we would scare the shit out of teams if we did play two up front

So nobody in football plays 4 4 2 ?

Maybe you better tell potchetino [emoji23]

Archived