Berwick Rangers v Clyde.

1 minute ago, ScottR96 said:

Interesting you say that. Was listening to Sportsound today and was quite disappointed in the lack of coverage of League 2, especially with no Premiership games on. They devoted a lot of time to the "title race" in League 1. Eleven points between 1st and 2nd compared to five points between 1st and 3rd in League 2. 

Fair point L1 is all but done and dusted L2 still all to play for.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just home after getting stuck in traffic for over an hour. Horrific looking accident, hope nobody was seriously injured or killed!

As for the game we absolutely strolled it. Someone texted into off the ball to nominate us for team of the day and described it as men against boys. Hard to argue with that, Berwick are utter bobbins. Orru kicked the ball out under no pressure at least three times in the first half. We absolutely ran rings round them and kept possession extremely well.

If their manager says anything other than they were played off the park by a far better side he is kidding himself on.

Rankin MOTM for me, outstanding performance from him. Grant was awesome too but no real failures. Defence and goalie won’t have many easier days.

After an extremely inauspicious start, Rankin is now proving the naysayers wrong. Excellent today apart from his open play finishing. At least three sclaffed attempts in front of goal. More than made up for it though with that free kick!

After an extremely inauspicious start, Rankin is now proving the naysayers wrong. Excellent today apart from his open play finishing. At least three sclaffed attempts in front of goal. More than made up for it though with that free kick!
Loved Rankin's scooped passes today.

I don't see any improvement in Berwick under their new manager but it always takes time, particularly when guys take over mid-season. The 'keeper knocks the ball short to play out from the back but the full-backs/centre halves aren't good enough and then proceed to just lump it forward. Once Rumsby stopped stupidly fouling the big carthorse that Berwick had up front, he just started heading the ball straight out of play, or knocked it onto one of our players. The wee boy on loan from Livi, who was linked with some big teams, had a couple of nice touches but otherwise looked absolutely lost playing against adults. Ultimately it's a tough gig as it seems to be getting harder and harder to attract, and retain, players.

We started the game with the right tempo, with McStay and Grant in total charge in the first quarter of an hour, and Boyle/Rankin buzzing around behind Goodwillie. Boyle wins a free-kick, Rankin squiggles one in that the goalie spoons against his own face, and McStay has an easy finish. Berwick had a wee flurry midway through the half and one cross fizzed across the six yard box, but we showed our increasing experience with a wee period of possession which killed it. Brilliant chance for Goodwillie who missed a free header, and Rankin was also through but the 'keeper saved. Soon after Rankin put Goodwillie through and he finished well before being clattered by the 'keeper. Hopefully he's not chipped a bone or anything. Brilliant save to keep him out just before the break after a trademark wriggle through the box.

I don't really know how we didn't score for 45 minutes in the second half, some great long range efforts from McStay, and some poorer ones from closer range by McStay, Rankin and Goodwillie. Still, the third goal was a cracker (have we scored direct from a free-kick since Scott McLaughlin v Arbroath in the cup?). We even missed two decent chances to score after that as Syvertsen took his chance to impress playing as the centre forward. Berwick did absolutely nothing at the other end except go for a wee jog after the final whistle.

Another highly competent performance from Clyde. Cuddihy was a bit wobbly first half without really doing much wrong. Rumsby and Lang realised soon enough not to bother challenging the Berwick forward and that stopped them having any sort of out ball. Stewart back in the team to stay now I reckon. McStay/Grant is still a work in progress but they're absolutely progressing as a pairing. Grant broke absolutely everything up, pulled off a gorgeous nutmeg and just doesn't give the ball away. McStay is a bit more careless but could have scored more goals and also did plenty of ball-winning. Lamont quiet but worked hard as usual. Boyle had a great first half with some lovely touches, and a decent second half. Rankin's experience shone through and releasing him from a more disciplined role has been the masterstroke that's propelled us into a title race. Goodwillie scored, could have scored more, and again he knew when to speed up and slow the game down in the second half. People can debate squad depth but we've got six subs (And McNiff) who would all be in with a good chance of starting every week for the 7 dross teams. There's no doubt which team's replacements made the difference last week.

Gutted we're out of action next week. We're now on 42 points and since we dropped into League 2, the best any third place side has done after 20 games is 38 points, so the title race should absolutely be gaining more attention.

40 minutes ago, David W said:

Rankin's experience shone through and releasing him from a more disciplined role has been the masterstroke that's propelled us into a title race.

Absolutely this. I wasn't there today but, since late November, we've started looking much more like the team that everyone had expected to start the season. Controlling games, defending well when required and tearing teams apart going forward. We weren't bad in the early months of the season, by any stretch of the imagination, but we were a wee bit too rigid and Rankin's role on the left of the central midfield area - or deeper - wasn't getting the best out of him. His experience is vital to him performing as he is at the moment; he just seems to know where to be to affect the game, whether that is tracking runners and mucking in within our own half, coming deep to offer an extra option to help drive us forward, or getting up in support of Goodwillie and the wide men. One thing I've also noticed, which we've been doing for a wee while now, is getting our forward players (particularly those behind Goodwillie) to rotate every so often which brings another element of unpredictability to our play. Starting to play with two dedicated sitters of late has been a brilliant move as well - as you say, the partnership there is young and in its infancy, but it's a great mix of a player who could turn in an 8/10 midfield performance in a dressing gown and slippers and a quick, physical presence who brings a bit more direct and forward-thinking flair.  They're so young, too, that they will only get better - hopefully we can keep them together and, as a team and club, improve alongside them. 

It's good to hear that Syvertsen enjoyed a late cameo up front as well - he certainly has all the attributes required to be an effective player there, but is, of course, still pretty raw. As I recall, we started the Stirling home game with Goodwillie largely playing off him and I don't think that worked too well, but perhaps with further coaching and game time he could be the Goodwillie back-up we require. It's pleasing, too, to hear that Jack Boyle's put in another good showing - a few months ago I was beginning to think that the Huddersfield two simply couldn't hack part-time football and living away from home, but I'm thrilled that we are seeing the best of both again. I'd still like to see us bringing in a player or two this month, though the profiles of those is anyone's guess. 

16 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Absolutely this. I wasn't there today but, since late November, we've started looking much more like the team that everyone had expected to start the season. Controlling games, defending well when required and tearing teams apart going forward. We weren't bad in the early months of the season, by any stretch of the imagination, but we were a wee bit too rigid and Rankin's role on the left of the central midfield area - or deeper - wasn't getting the best out of him. His experience is vital to him performing as he is at the moment; he just seems to know where to be to affect the game, whether that is tracking runners and mucking in within our own half, coming deep to offer an extra option to help drive us forward, or getting up in support of Goodwillie and the wide men. One thing I've also noticed, which we've been doing for a wee while now, is getting our forward players (particularly those behind Goodwillie) to rotate every so often which brings another element of unpredictability to our play. Starting to play with two dedicated sitters of late has been a brilliant move as well - as you say, the partnership there is young and in its infancy, but it's a great mix of a player who could turn in an 8/10 midfield performance in a dressing gown and slippers and a quick, physical presence who brings a bit more direct and forward-thinking flair.  They're so young, too, that they will only get better - hopefully we can keep them together and, as a team and club, improve alongside them. 

It's good to hear that Syvertsen enjoyed a late cameo up front as well - he certainly has all the attributes required to be an effective player there, but is, of course, still pretty raw. As I recall, we started the Stirling home game with Goodwillie largely playing off him and I don't think that worked too well, but perhaps with further coaching and game time he could be the Goodwillie back-up we require. It's pleasing, too, to hear that Jack Boyle's put in another good showing - a few months ago I was beginning to think that the Huddersfield two simply couldn't hack part-time football and living away from home, but I'm thrilled that we are seeing the best of both again. I'd still like to see us bringing in a player or two this month, though the profiles of those is anyone's guess. 

Any signing we make, presuming there are the logistics to do so, in my opinion has to be a real statement purchase. This is the time to strike and strengthen, with a real message sent out. I personally would prioritise (if possible) a centre forward to finish these barrowload of chances going begging, as it may come down to just that in May. 

A quick glance at the top six of L1 should either make some of us dream, or boak at the time we've wasted....at least one of the top three among us is getting f**k-all this year, and with Alloa's terrific comeback today, my Christ there could be some fucking belting fixtures in L1 next year, and we better bloody be in it. 

3 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

Thought McStay was our MOTM today, very unlucky to only get one goal

He has thrived of late. 

I suggested some time ago that if persevering with the 4-4-1-1, he and Grant must be the two in the centre, and be allowed to develop and learn by making mistakes and correcting them. Already noted is that Rankin was far too deep previously, and the difference in him is frightening. They're absolutely bossing entire teams around now, and are an absolute joy to watch. 

2 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

Think EC and Peterhead have more depth to their squads. 1-11 not a lot between you. 

Its a long time since I have seen three teams as strong as EC, Peterhead and Clyde in this league. Streets ahead of the rest. 

Exciting times for all three clubs. 

Lol wit

Archived