Environmental sustainability of football questionnaire

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Utter nonsense. 

Distance has nothing to do with this  You're travelling across a transport network which has to deal with millions of journeys on a daily basis compared to a few 10s of thousands at most.  Are you suggesting that the UK's transportation infrastructure priority is similar between Glasgow-Edinburgh as it is travelling across London?  

This has heehaw to do with transport infrastructure.  Scotland's central belt has enough buses, trains and trams for the routes I compared.  One is for people who want to make a journey as simply as possible and the other is for people whose journey is hampered by political will and who like queuing for tickets.

The only reason why you have two buses on overlapping routes in Hamilton with one being 'exact fare' and the other being 'we give change' is entirely because of a lack of joined up thinking and because of political torpor.

The astonishing thing is that absolutely no one has said that I am right.  The comments have been:  1. Let's blame Westminster.  2. Take a slower route to reduce the number of tickets.  3. Something will change (maybe 'contactless').

Going from just outside central Glasgow to just outside central Edinburgh should be a piece of piss.  That it isn't is shocking.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This has heehaw to do with transport infrastructure.  Scotland's central belt has enough buses, trains and trams for the routes I compared.  One is for people who want to make a journey as simply as possible and the other is for people whose journey is hampered by political will and who like queuing for tickets.

The only reason why you have two buses on overlapping routes in Hamilton with one being 'exact fare' and the other being 'we give change' is entirely because of a lack of joined up thinking and because of political torpor.

The astonishing thing is that absolutely no one has said that I am right.  The comments have been:  1. Let's blame Westminster.  2. Take a slower route to reduce the number of tickets.  3. Something will change (maybe 'contactless').

Going from just outside central Glasgow to just outside central Edinburgh should be a piece of piss.  That it isn't is shocking.

Eh ?  I said "your point is generally right - if a wee bit exaggerated".  But something that funding on the same basis as London could sort out.

Just opinions!

From a survey about environmental factors to ranting about the people’s republic of Scotland. It’s a meltdown but it’s fine. What else is one meant to do on a Sunday evening?

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

From a survey about environmental factors to ranting about the people’s republic of Scotland. It’s a meltdown but it’s fine. What else is one meant to do on a Sunday evening?

Public transport was an integral part of the bloke's survey - even if he missed boats and planes.  I had hoped that my minor contribution would push the debate forward.  Seemingly not!

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

House of Commons Briefing Paper 12 Feb 2018 says overall transport public spending 2016/17 is £33.3bn for London's 8.8m pop and £15.5bn for Scotland's 5.4m pop. I reckon, pro-rata maybe another £5bn due for Scotland ? That would cover almost 4 new Queensferry Crossings per year.

Which is what the Scottish government would most likely spend it on rather than, say, a rail link from Glasgow city centre to the airport.....

Public transport was an integral part of the bloke's survey - even if he missed boats and planes.  I had hoped that my minor contribution would push the debate forward.  Seemingly not!

I’ll bid farewell and let you continue to debate at people...

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's an odd survey on several levels.  Is it for your O Grade?  You also missed out that many fans come to Glasgow for matches by plane and ferry.

I did vent my spleen about Scotland's public transport.

Public transport in Scotland is utterly abysmal.  I'd reckon it's the worst in western Europe.

In London I can use my contactless card to make a journey from, say, Amersham to Croydon and use bus - train - tube - tram - bus and never have to physically buy a ticket.

Try doing the same length of route from, say, Pollokshields to Leith.  Similar length of journey and broadly similar journey time.  The steps you'd have to go to:

Subway from Shields Road to Buchanan Street - 1 ticket
Train from Queen Street to Haymarket - 1 ticket
Tram Haymarket to York Place - 1 ticket
Bus York Place to Leith - 1 ticket

Scotland is a transport backwater.

You can get the train from either of the two stations in Pollokshields and get a Plusbus ticket to Edinburgh Waverley. One ticket, and it'll get you your tram and bus travel in Edinburgh included, all day.

You're also comparing travel inside one city with travel between two points outside the centres of two cities separated by 50 miles.  Journey time is irrelevant, they're separate cities. Can you tell me what the ticketing would be from, say, Amersham to Woodingdean in Brighton?

Also, compare the costs, punctuality and reliability figures.

50 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Which is what the Scottish government would most likely spend it on rather than, say, a rail link from Glasgow city centre to the airport.....

There is literally no economic justification for a rail link to Glasgow Airport, and it wouldn't be quicker than the bus anyway.

4 hours ago, Alexton said:

Hi guys,

You're probably bored of these questionnaires by now but if anyone could fill this questionnaire (below) in for my dissertation for Uni it would be greatly appreciated. It's around the environmental sustainability of Scottish football and the clubs in general. Should take 5 minutes max.  Don't feel obliged to fill it out though. Thanks in advance!

https://app.easyquest.com/q/t3AXp

BTW, do you know yer da already asked about this? I think it was only posted in the Championship forum though.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You can get the train from either of the two stations in Pollokshields and get a Plusbus ticket to Edinburgh Waverley. One ticket, and it'll get you your tram and bus travel in Edinburgh included, all day.

You're also comparing travel inside one city with travel between two points outside the centres of two cities separated by 50 miles.  Journey time is irrelevant, they're separate cities. Can you tell me what the ticketing would be from, say, Amersham to Woodingdean in Brighton?

Also, compare the costs, punctuality and reliability figures.

This is just shite, of course.  You're still suggesting I don't take the easy route of taking the subway.  You're also suggesting I shouldn't take the tram - despite it being the easier option.  All so that I have to buy two tickets rather than..well...none.

Amersham and Croydon have separate local governments and are about 50 miles apart.  They are certainly not within one city.  That would be idiotic.  I compared the two routes to make it easy not to make it hard.

BTW, do you know yer da already asked about this? I think it was only posted in the Championship forum though.

Aye, he was helping me out but only posted it in the championship forum a few weeks ago.

Thanks to everyone that has filled it in so far.

55 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is just shite, of course.  You're still suggesting I don't take the easy route of taking the subway.  You're also suggesting I shouldn't take the tram - despite it being the easier option.  All so that I have to buy two tickets rather than..well...none.

Amersham and Croydon have separate local governments and are about 50 miles apart.  They are certainly not within one city.  That would be idiotic.  I compared the two routes to make it easy not to make it hard.

So your definition of shite includes things that are 100% true? Interesting.

Fine, take the subway. That makes it two tickets. Woo.

I specifically typed the word tram. Read it again. See where I said "tram"? I, in fact, meant "tram". Tram.

Amersham is a terminus on the LONDON Underground. That's LONDON. A city. Which is a large city in which you will also find Croydon, both covered by the services of TfL, which stands for "Transport for LONDON". Now, you may want to argue about whether Amersham is in fact in London, but then you'd only be showing up that you were cheating in picking that as the comparative starting point. The equivalent in the Scottish example would be somewhere like Helensburgh, which is not in Glasgow but is on the SPT suburban Glasgow rail network. Do you want to try that one out?

If it was your intention to make a roaring arse of yourself here, you certainly didn't disappoint.

Archived