Queens v Ross County

3 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Don't think he would have any option but to relocate canny see him travelling over 400 miles a day for training!!

Short commute from Newcastle International Airport to Inverness Airport on Roy's private jet. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half of my previous visits to Palmerston have ended in the match being abandoned. Food for thought, certainly.

Assuming that Kelly, Demetriou, Fontaine, Morris, Vigurs, Fraser, and Graham are all out, I'd like to see:

Fox

Watson Draper Grivosti

Mullin Lindsay Paton Cowie Gardyne

Mckay Stewart

Subs: Munro, ?, ?, ?, ?, Keillor-Dunn, McManus

I'd give McManus a burn over Stewart in a 3-5-2 just to try something different, but can't disagree with the shape and personnel otherwise given the circumstances.  All three of Draper, Watson and Grivosti can step out with the ball to help turn the screw.  Maybe it's a blessing that Fraser is suspended because his passing has been sub-standard.

I'd like to think that if Paton plays then Stewart can play off the last shoulder and benefit from any reverse passes, but it's a flip of the coin sometimes as to whether Stewart is reading the game or not.  I think Stewart is mostly mince but can come up with a winner; McManus conversely does a lot of good work but is consistently poor in the box.  McManus's last league start was at Palmerston in September, incidentally.

Gardyne at wing-back is a concern, but he did it at Palmerston last time around following on from the win at home to Falkirk.

Half of my previous visits to Palmerston have ended in the match being abandoned. Food for thought, certainly.
Assuming that Kelly, Demetriou, Fontaine, Morris, Vigurs, Fraser, and Graham are all out, I'd like to see:

Fox

Watson Draper Grivosti

Mckay Stewart

Floodlight failure in the offing on Saturday then! [emoji24]

3 hours ago, yoda said:

Fox

Watson Draper Grivosti

Mckay Stewart

Expect to see Kelly (the youth full back) and Murray (the youth centre back) on the bench if we don't sign a defender before Saturday. And even if we do they might. In all honesty, I'll take the same game we had in September right now. We have not been playing particularly well at all. Maybe Paton will be that spark we need? I'd even be tempted to give DKD a chance as (outside of Mullin) we really haven't shown much spark recently.

Fox

Watson Draper Grivosti

Mckay Stewart

Out of my 5 trips to Victoria Park resulted in three late call offs and one that took place should never had started [emoji23][emoji23] great game mind but won’t mention the replay lol the other game was memorable for Eric Patons goal from his own half !!

7 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Gardyne at wing-back is a concern, but he did it at Palmerston last time around following on from the win at home to Falkirk.

I'm not sure when I last saw him there, but for a tricky wee winger, I've found him to be surprisingly switched on defensively when needed. I'd certainly be happy enough with him there, hopefully pushing on more than dropping back, but capable if needed. 

Gardyne is always diligent, there’s no doubt about that.  It’s more of that he doesn’t seem to have the speed he had a couple of years ago.  That’s more important to a wing-back than a winger because you’re covering a flank mostly on your own. 

I wouldn't be averse to a 4-3-3 with our current squad, with Jacobs, Todd and Low in midfield, and Dykes and Stirling either side of Dobbie in the front 3. Potentially leaves the full backs a little exposed, but would be fun to watch going forward.

No chance, remember how utterly useless Dykes was coming off the left-wing last season? I also suspect it would turn more into a 4-5-1 at points, leaving Dobbie as the lone striker which just doesn’t work either.

We beat a difficult ICT team on Saturday playing our 4-4-2, no need to change it.

Gardyne's other issue with playing at wing back is his size, he'll try and get back but if it comes to a physical battle he'll lose almost always lose. I'm sure Aberdeen used Shay Logan against him to our cost a few times (not that anyone in this division will be as good as Shay Logan).

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

How was Low on Saturday? Can't recall reading anything about it after the ICT game.

Decent. Gather he was man of the match on travel club bus. Expect him to collect a few bookings though. Not afraid to go into a challenge, a couple of which on Saturday were "tasty" to say the least. 

How was Low on Saturday? Can't recall reading anything about it after the ICT game.

I thought he was fairly decent used the ball well, looks to go forward and not scared to get stuck in when needed. Seems a bit of a character as well

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Considering he hasn’t played a competitive game since October and that he was feeling under the weather night before the ICT game, I though he was good. Not scared to get stuck in that’s for sure. More energy than the lump that is Harkins.  

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Hold your horses. We’ve actually got a left back. 0-0 it is.

I see his move is subject to international clearance. Would be a shame if the relevant paperwork wasn’t completed in time :whistle

On 10/01/2019 at 17:48, ALOREBURNE said:

I see his move is subject to international clearance. Would be a shame if the relevant paperwork wasn’t completed in time :whistle

"Sorry lads, Kenny ate the paperwork."

Been thinking about an eleven to start at Palmerston. 

-----------------Fox

Watson Draper Grivosti VDW 

Paton Cowie Lindsay Gardyne 

-----------McKay Stewart 

Then there's Mullin, Spence, McManus and whatever youth we have left to come off the bench. It's as threadbare a squad as we've had for many a year but it's a functional if not an inspiring XI but it's to play away at Palmerston and if functional can get us a point and maybe challenge for all three then that'll do today.

Archived