Partick Thistle vs Falkirk

Another day, another performance lacking in any kind of incision. With all due respect to Falkirk, a decent team would have buried them in the first half - but a decent team, we are not.

Harkins brought a composure to the midfield that we've lacked but I'm not sold on his deployment as a deep lying playmaker. Better teams would have carved us open due to his lack of mobility and apparent reluctance to do any donkey work. 

On his sending off, his first booking for a challenge on Osman was a wee bit naughty - no real complaints over that one although Dallas appeared to book him on the word of Ross MacLean. The second is harsh and I don't recall him committing a foul in between times; a final warning would maybe have been more appropriate.

We were walking a tightrope with both Bannigan and Harkins on yellows. It's easy to say with hindsight but had Dallas been more lenient with the second booking, I'm sure we'd have seen Harkins hooked before long.

However, I listened to Caldwell's post game interview on Sportsound and whilst I found the reporter's line of questioning antagonistic and her method of delivery sarky, he embarrassed himself with some of his comments. 

Elsewhere, Saunders seems a steady influence and I thought he had a good game. Penrice had an absolute shocker and looks less like a left back by the week; the deliveries that he demonstrated when he first broke into the team have deserted him and he doesn't offer enough width up the line. 

Storey put in a good shift and his pace is something that keeps opponents on the back foot. It's a shame that he has literally no end product whatsoever. There were a few occasions however where he got into great positions and had absolutely nobody to pick out - the off-the-ball movement throughout the whole team is abysmal.

The double sub of Doolan and Spittal for Erskine and Cardle was derided by a number of folk around me. Whilst Spittal could maybe count himself unlucky, Dools could have no complaints; we're seeing exactly why Archibald's management of him which was often ridiculed by many (me included) was spot on.

On a final note, I didn't fancy Hazard at all. Didn't feel like he inspired confidence in the backline, his kicking was erratic and he failed numerous times to come off his line to relieve the pressure. The saves that he did make were of the routine variety but he sent the ball right back into danger. Colour me utterly unconvinced.

On Falkirk, that's the second time that McKinnon has brought a team to Firhill this season with a rather odd set up; in the Morton cup game, they were all over the place in the first half. Not sure what the plan was but as mentioned above, another team would have been on easy street at half time today. 

Rudden will be vital - really liked the look of him. Osman won't be fit until the end of the season and looked like he was towing a truck. Paton should have been booked as soon as he came on for what looked like a rash tackle on Bannigan. 

In conclusion, two shite teams who will finish 9th and 10th barring a minor miracle.

Two shite teams? Aye.

The difference is one’s rapidly improving and the other is in rapid decline.

I’d fancy our chances of bettering 9th more than your lots of finishing better than 10th.....

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Two shite teams? Aye.

The difference is one’s rapidly improving and the other is in rapid decline.

I’d fancy our chances of bettering 9th more than your lots of finishing better than 10th.....

Really? I've seen all three games against Falkirk this season, and you've looked poor in all of them.

I think we're both pretty much a stagnant level of pish at this point.

21 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

I never knew people from Falkirk were allowed to call people tramps. One the Jakiest places I've ever had the displeasure of working in.

You can't have worked in many places then 

Really? I've seen all three games against Falkirk this season, and you've looked poor in all of them.
I think we're both pretty much a stagnant level of pish at this point.

I thought we underperformed today, mainly due to poor set-up by McKinnon. I feel pretty confident re the quality of the majority of signings he’s brought in and if we change shape to press the opposition more I think we’ll pick up a few points. McKinnon is a decent manager but is prone to mistakes.
No arguments re the two other games. Pretty sure every Falkirk supporter will agree with you that we were utter shite due mainly to a certain Mr Hartley and his schoolboy quality signings.
What astonishes me is that every man and his dog can see that Caldwell hasn’t a clue (we knew this before he was appointed tbh), but your board is persisting despite knowing it can only lead to dire consequences.....

Caldwell is seriously deluded, I have no idea what game he was watching. I think I can remember one save Mitchell had to make. They had a wee 10 minute spell where I felt we were under pressure and could feel the goal coming which it did. Apart from that, as soon as Harkins was sent off Falkirk were all over thistle and thought we might go on to win it. Mckenna looked like he could easily step up a gear. Absolute class. 

Was there a scuffle right after the game outside the stadium? Heard some commotion on the way to the car. 

That’s because they haven’t a fucking clue either.

I don’t know that much about what’s going on behind the scenes at Firhill but I do think there is a team in there. It feels to me that it lacks an inspirational leader with tactical nous to pull the team together.

If I was a Thistle player and I listened to that Mourinhoesque rant on the radio tonight, I doubt I’d hold too much confidence in anything he is telling me re how to perform on the park.

Despite us going on a bit of a signing spree this mid-season, it might just be decisions made in the boardroom at Thistle that keeps us up this season....

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

So speaks the authority on Falkirk FC. Might as well relegate us cause yer man's watched three games.

28 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

So speaks the authority on Falkirk FC. Might as well relegate us cause yer man's watched three games.

The point was more that for a team who have looked exactly the same level of abject shite in three games across five months of the season, I think it's a fair to say there hasn't been much "rapid improvement" going on. But you already knew that.

Archived