Robertson must GO!

11 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

So you'd rather us go to League 1? By not making Change of manager or signing players, thats where we'll end up.  I do include Graham Rae in my criticism too, he's not backing our manager, I am so desperate for an owner with money so we can buy instead of sign free agents. If Utd can get an American owner then surely we can too! 

DavidDickinson1-1001x1024.jpg

The thing is, if Robbo was sacked, who’d replace him? I’m not a fan of going backwards and I don’t think the likes of Butcher or Yogi would come back now anyway. My understanding is the reason we didn’t appoint Paul Sheerin in 2017 was because the club didn’t want (or couldn’t afford) the compensation to Aberdeen.

Then who? I don’t think this is the point to go for some rookie again so that means we’d end up with some jobber out of a job. It begs the question - then who? To be honest, for the time being, I don’t think there’s anyone much better we could hire who’d be better than Robbo. He’s barely got two peanuts to rub together. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt - for now.

We’ve just got no money. We’re (probably) still paying off Foran’s four year contract. We’ve still got Fôn Williams on a £2,000 a week deal. We apparently cut £1m from the playing budget for this season. Crowds have dropped and we’re just skint.

Can a sane ICT fan explain a bit about some of the off-field issues? Is the financial position perilous or are those in charge just being sensible?
I don't really rate Robbo as a manager but he seems like a really good guy and anything but a p***k.

Our previous chairman had no idea how to run a football club. During our fantastic spell of finishing 3rd winning the cup etc, he signed up a lot of our players on massive 3 year deals with no clauses in them. Even some of the new players had some stupid contracts, Jake Mulraney.

He then, rightly sacked John Hughes, which wouldn’t have been cheap and then dishes out a 4 year deal to Foran to be our manager when around the club, apparently, he was probably the last man who should have got it. As it turns out he was utterly useless and we end up getting relegated with a lot of our key players on £2k plus a week with no relegation clauses in them. We still haven’t been able to get rid, see Owain fon Williams.

This has left us with barely a pot to piss in. Graham Rae has come in as chairman with a total shitfest to try and sort out. I don’t think it is perilous and we can salvage it so he is being sensible but our fans need to realise that our budget is and will be for the foreseeable future one that will see us kicking about mid table in the Championship and maybe to odd play off place where we might get lucky (we won’t)

Maintaining success was always going to be the hardest part of that period of the club, but even by our own standards, it was an absolute disaster.  After winning the Scottish Cup, we ditched Errea for Carbrini.  You'd think at the height of our success, we'd be wanting to capitalise straight away and have the new shirt out and ready for folk to buy.  The new top wasn't revealed until the afternoon of the home Astra Giurgiu game.  There was 6,000 odd at that game.  We could've sold tons of them.  There was also the 500 fans going to Bucharest the following week.  You'd want it out for quick for folk to buy for their trip.  The tops weren't released until about October and weren't able to be bought at the stadium!

We rejected Dundee United's approach for Yogi and gave him the biggest budget ever.  And yet he signed some absolute dross.  Dani Lopez and Liam Hughes were probably two of the worst players I've ever seen play for us.  He was also desperate to get rid of David Raven for some reason, despite him being a fans favourite and one of our most reliable players.  This then led to tensions at the club, selling Ryan Christie for buttons and bizarre wars of words in the press.

Despite what some say, punting Yogi wasn't a mistake.  Relationships had broken down and he wanted out.  The mistake was hiring Foran who had no idea about, well...really anything.  Relegated, garbage signings (like Scott Boden) on huge wages and other jobbers like Henri Anier.  Alex Fisher was also frozen out despite being our best striker by quite a distance.

We may never recover from the Foran debacle.  It is the source for all our hardship since.

21 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Strange how every manager who Yogi manages seem to go into a tailspin after he leaves.  Caley Thistle, Falkirk, Hibs... Raith to some degree as well.

Probably not all that strange tbh, though. You nailed it in your previous post - the moment he gets his hands on a budget and brings in 'his own players' it turns to shit. Add Ryan Williams, the futsal star, to that list of shame you gave earlier - and probably signed on three times what our current squad members are getting. 

ETA: Although Hibs and Falkirk supporters predicted exactly what would happen, and although I think Hughes' management in 2015-16 bears a large share of responsibility for where we are now, I still can't bring myself to think of it as a mistake to have appointed him in the first, because of what he did for us in 2014-15 with what was primarily Butcher's team. But I wish to God we'd let him go to Utd when he wanted to talk to them - Kenny Cameron might have got Foran in on a trial basis and got that idea out of his system before Foran was allowed to repeat Hughes' mistakes

Edited by alternative maryhill

There's also the not insignificant internecine terrorism at major shareholder level which sometimes seems to be more about real estate than any vestige of corinthian spirit.

The usual suspects are well known and they are marked by their selfish ineptitude.

When one compares their malevolence with the magnificent contribution made by a chairman a little further north, its shaming.

36 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Maintaining success was always going to be the hardest part of that period of the club, but even by our own standards, it was an absolute disaster.  After winning the Scottish Cup, we ditched Errea for Carbrini.  You'd think at the height of our success, we'd be wanting to capitalise straight away and have the new shirt out and ready for folk to buy.  The new top wasn't revealed until the afternoon of the home Astra Giurgiu game.  There was 6,000 odd at that game.  We could've sold tons of them.  There was also the 500 fans going to Bucharest the following week.  You'd want it out for quick for folk to buy for their trip.  The tops weren't released until about October and weren't able to be bought at the stadium!

Scottish clubs missing open goals like this is a common occurrence. 

Not quite as bad as Dunfermline finishing 4th in the SPL & reaching the Scottish Cup Final only to appoint Davie Hay and almost get relegated the following season.

As @alternative maryhill has already hinted, the turning point for me was the previous chairman trying to show strength  by refusing Yogi to speak to Utd. In hindsight it was weak. We would have got some cash and could have advertised for a decent manager, which has always worked, apart from Brewster MKii. Yogi took the huff but then pretended to turn around, signed a new contract then went back in the huff till we had to sack him. 

42 minutes ago, sophia said:

There's also the not insignificant internecine terrorism at major shareholder level which sometimes seems to be more about real estate than any vestige of corinthian spirit.

The usual suspects are well known and they are marked by their selfish ineptitude.

When one compares their malevolence with the magnificent contribution made by a chairman a little further north, its shaming.

Not coming from Sneck but having been an invernessian by marriage for most of my adult life, I see this. There are bawheids everywhere that want a bit of a football club but Inverness seems to have a monopoly on stereotypical Prince Charlie-like popinjays. 

On 05/01/2019 at 21:40, Highland Capital said:
  • The club have no money.
  • To sack Robbo, we'd have to have money.
  • We'd have better players if we had money.
  • We have some garbage players.  To get rid of them, we'd need to pay them off.
  • With money.
  • We have no money.
  • We can't sack Robbo.
  • We have no money.

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

We’ve just got no money. We’re (probably) still paying off Foran’s four year contract. We’ve still got Fôn Williams on a £2,000 a week deal. We apparently cut £1m from the playing budget for this season. Crowds have dropped and we’re just skint.

giphy (1).gif

The strangest thing about the whole Foran era was that apparently he really believed he was some sort of management guru.  He seemingly rarely traveled to scout other teams, hadn't a clue about training and refused to listen to his coaches.  Butcher could be quite a narcissistic character but certainly had people around him he trusted - he'd trust Steve Marsella's view on a scouted player (even if he hadn't seen him) and he let Malpas do a lot of the tactical stuff.

One story I heard (and I have on good authority that this is true) is we had an away tie at Kilmarnock towards the end of that season.  At that time, Killie had a certain way of dealing with set-pieces and Brian Rice and Scott Kellacher (and possibly Malpas too) had plans in place to bring the U20s in to act in the way that Kilmarnock did for the first team to practice against.  Now, even to the most amatuer of followers of football this seems like a good idea but apparently Foran was having none of it and scrapped the whole thing.  We lost the game 2-1.

Players have been promoted to managers before so it can work.  I recollect some fans highlighting Alex Neil at the time but he'd been the reserve team manager and the interim manager, prior to taking over at Accies.  Martin Canning had had a similar path.  Alan Archibald had been a coach as well as I recall.  Foran had done next to nothing.  Hiring him in the first place was a poor decision, but failing to punt him, particularly after the absolutely horrible thumping by Hamilton and then the 4-0 embarrassment in Dingwall was absolutely crazy.

Had we sacked him, we *might* have stayed up.  The decision to keep him until relegation was confirmed though could quite easily set us back years, if not decades.

Edited by Highland Capital

The Hamilton game was the time. Went behind to our nearest rivals, got a grip of the game, got a penalty, missed it, heads down, capitulated, 3-0 FT. By the county game we knew they wouldn’t sack him so we dutifully trekked up to Dingwall knowing it would be whatever the opposite of ‘the icing on the cake’ is. Did that result not effectively relegate us?

So you'd rather us go to League 1? By not making Change of manager or signing players, thats where we'll end up.  I do include Graham Rae in my criticism too, he's not backing our manager, I am so desperate for an owner with money so we can buy instead of sign free agents. If Utd can get an American owner then surely we can too! 

Welcome to the real world.