Happy 150th Birthday Killie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Begs the question.  If your Scotland’s oldest club.  Who the hell did the play against?

Fae wiki 

They played Renton in the first ever Scottish cup game. Not sure if that would be their first ever game tohugh.

Happy birthday anyway. Like a few have said, a league win would be a fitting way to celebrate but I'll not be wishing you well until we have mathematically no chance of winning. (Probably about March)

Guest Moomintroll
Fae wiki 
They played Renton in the first ever Scottish cup game. Not sure if that would be their first ever game tohugh.

Happy birthday anyway. Like a few have said, a league win would be a fitting way to celebrate but I'll not be wishing you well until we have mathematically no chance of winning. (Probably about March)
How old is that dug?tapatalk_1546780775933.jpeg

Not sure if you’re accepting congratulations of fans from lower leagues, but if so happy 150th Birthday.

I remember my 150th Birthday...

Spoiler

Just joking.  I can’t remember what happened 10 minutes ago.  :(

12 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Begs the question.  If your Scotland’s oldest club.  Who the hell did the play against?

Back in the day a lot of clubs formed around that time, before the SFA came into existence in 1873, would simply be groups of young men who would play early forms of football and sometimes other sports (like athletics, rugby, cricket, rowing, chess and whatnot) among themselves. Queens Park for example would often meet each other midweek and play games between each other with Glasgow natives vs Highland expats, surnames from A-M vs N-Z, that sort of thing. One can only assume that Kilmarnock would have done similarly although as the club were an offshoot of young men who had fallen out with members of Kilmarnock Rugby Football Club they would have played Rugby Rules up until the aforementioned Scottish Cup tie with Renton. This was also the reason that Rugby Park got its name, owing to the club's origins. All I'll say is I'm very glad we ditched the egg-chasing very early on and opted to play the beautiful game!

A lot has happened in 150 years with countless names and faces having come and gone. Here's to you Killie - you don't half look good for your age!

Archived