Marrakech

Darren

Heading off to Morocco on Sunday for some sunshine.

With it being a closed currency, what's my best bet? I'm tempted just to load up my Caxton currency card and take it from there.

Also, any tips for things to do, places to see and good grub much appreciated.

You can probably change money in the hotel - the rates are tightly controlled (or it seemed so when I was there) and they'll give you a receipt so you buy back at the same price. Only thing if you're changing money - only take undamaged Bank of England notes. Any sort of small tear/marking and they won't take it. 

I was there 5 and a half years ago so card wasn't really widespread. Imagine that's changed now though. 

The Majorelle Gardens are worthwhile going to see.  

We used the ATM at the airport when we first got there then the one at the hotel, as mentioned paying with card wasn't that widespread, this was nearly ten years ago so it might have changed  as Morocco is quite a progressive country.

A wander round the souks is a must, you will get lost, you will think you're in an Indiana Jones movie but that's all part of the experience, if you do decide to buy something you will have to barter, I was rubbish at it but one highlight was a little guy in one of the shops that could name every Moroccan player to have played in Britain not entirely sure how many there have been so not sure how bold a claim this is but he asked me who my team was, told him Killie, he pointed at me and said Mehdi Taoul I was suitably impressed and this softened the impact my poor bartering skills had left on me, I really thought I'd be good at it! We then went with our purchases onto the roof of his store and drank mint tea and chatted for ages the hospitality part at the end of a transaction is important to them, the mint tea is amazing.

Jemaa el-Fna is amazing at nights as it turns into a giant outdoor food market, we enjoyed grabbing a seat on the balcony of the cafe on the south east side of the square just before sunset to watch them setting it up, some incredible food on offer ( the cafe is called Le grand balcon du café glacier but there are a few surrounding the square )

We took a tour of the Ourika Valley, the scenery was amazing the only downside was that most of the stops were combined with attempts to sell you stuff, I found that if you were polite and declined then you were fine.

Steer clear of the snake charmers, the dancing guys with the daft hats with tassels and all the others that are hanging around Jemaa el-Fna during the day, they can get aggressive if you engage but then don't hand over the amount of cash they expect, again be polite and walk on, some can be quite persistent don't get flustered though just keep walking, we observed some of them being real dicks from the balcony of the cafe, they pick their "targets" wisely they lose interest if you show you aren't interested.

You can't buy alcohol within the old city walls.

If you are going with your girlfriend or wife I would advise her to keep her clothing choices on the conservative side, no short shorts or vest tops as this attracts unwanted attention, some will be very sleazy about it and stare others will express their opinion vocally, we did a walking tour of the souks, my wife was covered up ( longish shorts and had her arms covered ) but the rest of the group were a bunch of Brummies, all the women were dressed like they were headed to the beach and it either attracted bad attention or reactions of disgust, one guy in the souk actually shook my hand and said "you are a good man and your woman shows respect to our culture" but then he slapped his arse and said "Asda price! come in and buy some of my goods" and of course this applies to men as well its definitely not a taps aff kind of place, if you're staying in a hotel in the new town and are lounging by the pool taps can come aff, its mainly the old town where you should be a bit respectful of the cultural differences.

All in all an amazing place, a real assault on the senses at times but in a good way, oh and if you speak a bit of French that will help but not entirely necessary.

You can change cash in main square. We stayed in a Riyadh just off there and it was some experience. Wee hotel was great but it’s an assault on the senses when you get out the taxi. Folk selling all sorts, food everywhere and snakes dodging about. Great to see but defo keep your wits about you. Tip we got from the French doctor who owned our hotel was to avoid the henna tattoos. Meant to be some dodgy stuff in the ink and they would refuse to clean your sheets if they saw it.

We done the Markets obviously, a guided tour of the valley which was excellent and walked up to the more European area a few times. It’s definitely somewhere not to walk about pissed! Trip advisor your eating places and you won’t go wrong. Had some great meals and also my dinner for 50p one night off a stall. It’s got everything really

Thanks for the replies.

We're staying in a hotel outside the city and venturing in tomorrow.

Taxi ride was eventful in itself - the driving here is unsurprisingly mad and we went past the football stadium just as the riot police were getting ready for the Moroccan derby. Unfortunately we didn't go to the game...

Will keep in mind the tips for the Old Town. Luckily it's not too hot so dressing appropriately won't be a problem. I don't think either of us will have a problem avoiding snake charmers or henna tattoos but appreciate the heads-up!

We're looking forward to some cheap scran but I think we'll restrict our bevying to a bottle of wine when we get back to the hotel. 

Merci

• 3 weeks later...

I found the souks incredibly stressful, mainly trying not to get knocked down by scooters, but I'm really glad we did it. It was definitely worth going to a café by the square to watch how everyone else was getting on afterwards. 

We didn't make it to the Majorelle Gardens but did go into Gueliz, the contrast between there and the old town is quite something. I got caught out by the falling temperatures at night and managed to get a stinking cold, which put any more exploring to an end. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I hated the souks. Just money pits and not a bargain in sight, despite what anyone says. The Morrocans in general are racist in their own way and seem to think that anyone white is fair game to harass.

I'm sure black tourists get harassed just the same.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:11, Stellaboz said:

I hated the souks. Just money pits and not a bargain in sight, despite what anyone says. The Morrocans in general are racist in their own way and seem to think that anyone white is fair game to harass.

Souks throughout the middle east are intensive and pressurised.  I hate them as well, because of the of the relentless pressure to buy overpriced tat, although the more I go to the less it bothers me.   If you really want to see "let's rip off whitey" in action, try taking an un-metered taxi.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Souks throughout the middle east are intensive and pressurised.  I hate them as well, because of the of the relentless pressure to buy overpriced tat, although the more I go to the less it bothers me.   If you really want to see "let's rip off whitey" in action, try taking an un-metered taxi.

I was only pressured once and he had no chance because I'm a tight-fisted Scot who had no reason to visit a blacksmith despite his cries of "come see my metals, Asda price".

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

If you walk around aimlessly and goggle eyed you'll definitely get targeted. If you look like you know where you're going and heading for a appointment or something, a bit less likely.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you walk around aimlessly and goggle eyed you'll definitely get targeted. If you look like you know where you're going and heading for a appointment or something, a bit less likely.

Never ever ask "how much".  Find out in advance and get in without negotiating a price.  It's all about confidence,

Been to Morocco a couple o times for hiking, Imlil is a great wee town and the walking is fantastic. Marrakesh is a sore head full o shysters. Don't stop at the big food joint in the square, they just keep bringing you tapas sized dishes then  bill you a fortune for it. It's so bad the stalls are fighting(punch ups) each other for customers. Love the mountains loath the city.

Archived