How often do you visit your grandparents?

How often do you visit your grandparents?   

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First Xmas ever I've driven past my old, olds.    They're cool and all that but time got in the way.    I've not seen one side of my grandparents since the snow fell last March and it's probably a Xmas 2017 with the other set.   Folks haven't said anything but I've been feeling an inward pressure to visit them, even though I'd rather not.     It's not getting me down, but an I a poor grandkid?  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I ever end up with adult grandkids, I'd like to think they'd be too busy doing lines and banging nines to be bothered with my pishy auld arse. We'll have had our time together when they were wee, with any luck.

If I ever end up with adult grandkids, I'd like to think they'd be too busy doing lines and banging nines to be bothered with my pishy auld arse. We'll have had our time together when they were wee, with any luck.
excellent posting dave and couldnt agree more. i call my gran once a week if i remember. this is fine for all concerned. i see her at funerals. who knows next one could be hers!

Never, they have all died now. I used to live with my mum's mum until she died when I was 19. I absolutely adored that woman and done loads with her when she was here. My other two grandparents I seen maybe once/twice a month and that was fine.

Both sets of Grandparents gone.

My Dad's mum went back in 81 before I had a chance to really get to know her, then my Mum's dad about 5 years later. I didn't get a chance to find out what a horrible c**t he was until years later.

My Mum's mum went in early 2000. I knew her well and really enjoyed her company. Very interesting and intelligent woman. I used to visit her often. My Dad's dad went last in the late '00's. I never knew him at all as a family rift after my Dad's mum died stopped all contact. The rift was so bitter that my Dad & his brother never spoke to their father again and didn't even attend the funeral. They've not spoken to their sister since, either. Families, eh?!

I've only one surviving granny who lives a 3hour bus journey away, despite it only being 65 miles. (I don't drive) I try and get to see her about once every 6 weeks, usually just for a couple of hours but my folks have a holiday home in the area so I stop there. 5 of her other 6 grandchildren still stay in the same town and there are now two great grandchildren. Some of my cousins don't bother with her though which pisses me off

Last one died in 2000. Only have happy memories of two of them. One lived with us and was an annoying auld fart who treated my mother like shit. 

If it ever comes to me having grandkids, hopefully they will have sense and see me for the old c**t I will inevitably turn into. The likelihood of them ever getting any dosh out of me is pretty much zero anyway, so there will be no need to come see me.

All my grandparents are dead and the last one died more than quarter of a century ago. ( all died between 1979 & 1993 )

The fear I now live with is my parents are now both older than their parents were when they passed. I see them as often as possible and they both reasonably fit and healthy but time ticks on

Weirdly it dawned on me the other day that I don’t even know where they are buried. Three had died before I was born and the fourth died when I was very young. Thinking about it, I don’t even know their names?! I feel like I should feel bad about this but I never knew these people...?

47 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

All my grandparents are dead and the last one died more than quarter of a century ago. ( all died between 1979 & 1993 )

The fear I now live with is my parents are now both older than their parents were when they passed. I see them as often as possible and they both reasonably fit and healthy but time ticks on

Genuinely uncanny.

That is all exactly the same for me, right down to the span of dates.

Archived