East Fife v Airdrie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macintosh was outstanding. Wilkie was his usual tricky self and the man bun guy (Stewart maybe) was rapid and pretty good to

I wasn't at the game, so I can't really comment on it. But its interesting to note that the 3 guys you mention were all standouts in the 4-2 game at ours also.

Both McIntosh and Stewart came on as sub's that day and changed the game. And Wilkie was just an absolute menace that day, a yappy wee dug that wont leave you alone.

I don't know why I mentioned this or if its any relevance to anyone. But there ye go.

As an Airdrie fan reading this thread it has been a pleasure reading the comments of the East Fife fans who have been complimentary about Airdrie and accepting that on the day the better team won. So much better than the usual greeting and moaning about the referee and the jammy opposition you usually read. Well done guys!

18 minutes ago, waysider said:

As an Airdrie fan reading this thread it has been a pleasure reading the comments of the East Fife fans who have been complimentary about Airdrie and accepting that on the day the better team won. So much better than the usual greeting and moaning about the referee and the jammy opposition you usually read. Well done guys!

Think they’ve loosened up now that they have Raith Rovers in their back pocket and are the new Fife’s Finest :lol:

I said before the game that I'd have been happy with a draw, so I'm delighted with the win.  That was an excellent three points at a ground where most teams have really struggled this season.  We were certainly the better team in the first half, and while East Fife came into more in the second, and I thought we sat far too deep at times, they never created many chances.  McKenzie had one pretty routine save in the second half, and they had a chance from a corner that may have hit the post or been blocked on the line (was a bit hard to see), but even in late on I think we looked the more likely team to score.  Scott Stewart's chance to make it three was probably our best second half chance, and I don't think a 3-1 win would have flattered us. 

I was especially pleased that after the awful we gifted them to make it one each, we didn't slacken up or panic or let East Fife take control of the game - we continued dominating and Leighton McIntosh (again) scored right before half time to restore a deserved lead.

I don't know if this was genuinely something we were doing more, or if I just noticed it more yesterday, but there certainly seemed to be a lot more attacks that were going through the middle and used one-touch through-balls. 

For a few comments on individual players - Millar played three woeful passes in the first half, but was mostly solid other than that.  Campbell could have scored in the first minute and looked like an energetic, busy player; not a revelation, perhaps not offering much that Carrick doesn't in broadly the same role, but certainly useful and not to be written off after one game. 

That's a terrific result for Airdrie. Murray has really transformed us with the same squad Findlay had so kudos to him. Great to hear that we were organised and playing with a bit of tempo, something which we most certainly we were not earlier in the season. I've said it elsewhere but if you're organised you'll win more games than you lose in this league. Crighton and Stewart had had a miserable start to the season so glad to hear Murray seems to be getting a lot more out of them now. I guess playing in the back 3 and not beside Page has helped Crighton. 

After conceding the sloppy goal that would have been a game we lost (and in fact did) earlier on in the season. We didn't though so well done Airdrie. 

Is Joao injured or just out of favour? His form had dipped a little but still think he has a lot to offer. Interesting too that Page came on before Robertson. 

Bearing in mind how well our forwards were playing early in the season I would never have believed that we could put out a winning team without any of Carrick, Duffy and Vitoria being in the starting 11. Just shows what I know!

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Is Joao injured or just out of favour? His form had dipped a little but still think he has a lot to offer. Interesting too that Page came on before Robertson. 

I know rumours are not always to be credited but Jao was not on the bench (fact) , No idea about any injury ,but gossip that he might be going back to EK? Has not impressed Murray?  I think Page came on to show he , like Robertson, is not out of the picture.  I will apologise if this is all guff.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

That's a terrific result for Airdrie. Murray has really transformed us with the same squad Findlay had so kudos to him. Great to hear that we were organised and playing with a bit of tempo, something which we most certainly we were not earlier in the season. I've said it elsewhere but if you're organised you'll win more games than you lose in this league. Crighton and Stewart had had a miserable start to the season so glad to hear Murray seems to be getting a lot more out of them now. I guess playing in the back 3 and not beside Page has helped Crighton. 

After conceding the sloppy goal that would have been a game we lost (and in fact did) earlier on in the season. We didn't though so well done Airdrie. 

Crighton has always had his critics on here, but as I've pointed out before he has 2 league winners medals from this league, he's the only player in the squad who has a track record that proves he is good enough to get us out the league, whereas the vast majority of the squad have proven not to be good enough for promotion, despite years at this level. Therefore the key is getting him in the correct system, if he's regularly exposed and isolated, like he was earlier in the season, then he be will terrible. The current system suits him well where is able to be aggresive and attack the ball, and know that O'Neil and MacDonald can get round to cover. Also think wing-back is Stewart's best position and suits his attributes best.

Murray is doing an excellent job with these players, it's also a bit frustrating knowing that if we'd appointed him in the summer we could have had a real shot at winning the league. Hopefully the Celtic money allows to bring in a couple of players and we can make the play-offs.

can't remember if I've mentioned this on here before, but I was talking to a Livi fan around September time and he was missing Crichton - said that he felt he brought the best out of Lithgow and Halkett(?) when he was beside them.

I was a tad surprised if I'm honest. But there you go.

Archived