East Fife v Airdrie

3 minutes ago, smuggfifer said:

Also, have to agree with KK, Wilkie was very professional in his muted celebration, which is more than can be said for a few of our fans, booing him and Page. Very short memories folks!

Totally agree.They were top players for East Fife. Darren Young picked the same team as last week but no player other than possibly Dowds was anywhere near what was needed..At least there was effort the second half but 2 or 3 players  had their poorest game for the club.Seen that plenty of times of times over the years.Great away result,bigger crowd,terrible performance.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn’t there but seems like a great result for Airdrie and well deserved in accordance with the stats.

On a potentially sadder note, somebody told me that Bobby Watson had suffered a stroke. Has anyone else heard anything?

Seen that plenty of times of times over the years.Great away result,bigger crowd,terrible performance.

^^^ very much this!!!
How many times has this happened over the years???
As soon as I saw the queues at the turnstiles I had a bad feeling about this game, not to worry though it was probably just a 600 attendance anyway (again)!!!

Airdrie much sharper and quicker all over the park, manager said last week a lot of players hadn’t been able to train, sure looked the same this week as we really struggled in that first half to get up to pace with the game. We had a load of the ball in the 2nd half but never once got in behind a packed Airdrie back line. Dissapointing after last weeks high but  I just had a feeling this was on the cards today. Have to mention Leighton Macintosh and Crichton at the back for Airdrie top top performances from the two of them ,and the finish from Macintosh for Airdries 2nd goal was top quality. I suppose these guys don’t come cheap. Getting tight in places 2 to 5 in the league. Airdrie, Montrose and Forfar all hard on our heels. Another hard game next week up at Montrose and I’m sure after a full weeks training and preparation we should be better prepared for the challenge.

57 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

I’ll happily boo page. The way he handled his exit was a joke.

Scotty, he was my son's favourite player up until he left, now he idolises Meggatt (must change that profile photo haha) who wasn't up to his usual high standards but neither was any of the EF team today. 

^^^ very much this!!!
How many times has this happened over the years???
As soon as I saw the queues at the turnstiles I had a bad feeling about this game, not to worry though it was probably just a 600 attendance anyway (again)!!!

A game of two halves, all Airdrie in the first and well worth their two goals but the second was all us with Airdrie having to be satisfied with breakaways but unlike Airdrie in the 1st, we huffed and puffed in and around their box but did absolutely nothing with it, a poor display over all from us, that certainly wasn't the team I saw last week!!!
Pains me to say it but the better team won today, the only real talking points for us were the substitutions, never thought we would see Docherty being substituted but it actually happened today and then DY takes off our best player on the day in Dowds, I can only assume he was injured as couldn't see any reason for this, especially when Currie had been as poor as he was. The Airdrie defence certainly did their work on him and I mean they did it fairly, RC19 was a shadow of the player that ripped the Raith backline a new one last week but they couldn't handle Big Tonks and I still find it hard to believe he was taken off!!!
The midfield that finished that game should be the one that starts next week btw!!!

Best team won- well done Airdrie

A game when our best players this year had poor performances.Darryl was bossed by their no 9( excellent player), Dunsmuir was invisible and Agnew held on to the ball too long- Dowds made a huge number of runs in first half and Agnew and Others in midfield simply did not make/ spot the pass( must be disheartening)he was probably taken off as he ran so many miles! Wont criticise those 3 though as have been outstanding all year.

Our midfield is where the problems though really lie. Mark doesn’t have the legs to play left side and he therefore moves into the middle leaving Slattery exposed and doing 2 jobs. We need a natural left side midfielder in that position.

But again thought Aidrie were by far the better team and if not for Brett the score would of been more.Airdrie’s no 9 and 7 were the best two players on the park— well done to them...

Didn't think there was as many as 300 empty seats in our side, but there might have been at a push I suppose, but I thought there was more than 25 Airdrie fans there???[emoji854]

Nothing went right for us today, passes were short, second to the ball.
A few players were short of their best, Dunsmore, Currie, Slattery and Meggat.
Docherty was poor pish, lacked effort, no support for Slattery.

Nothing went right for us today, passes were short, second to the ball.
A few players were short of their best, Dunsmore, Currie, Slattery and Meggat.
Docherty was poor pish, lacked effort, no support for Slattery.

Wasn’t at the game today but with what your saying I’m taking it pat was playing left midfield?

Wasn’t at the game today but with what your saying I’m taking it pat was playing left midfield?
Pat was at left back, at times left to mark two players with no help from Docherty

To be fair to the team. My take on the game was that the way Airdrie came flying at us took us by surprise instantly. Then the speed of some of their play was another level at times which made it hard to play against.

Macintosh was outstanding. Wilkie was his usual tricky self and the man bun guy (Stewart maybe) was rapid and pretty good too.

The fact that the three of them were in 6th gear when they came out made it hard for us to really manage too much. The goal was coming when they went 0-1 up. Then we looked decent and a hospital backpass lead to our goal. Then they just continued where they left off again. With a great ball and header to go 1-2 up.

Changing to 4-3-3 was needed and looked to swing the game massively in our favour with them only getting a couple break aways (Brett’s point blank save was unreal).
On another day we could have snatched a point or a win, however today was one of those days you get and you end up with nothing at all.

Players need to dust themselves down, forget about it, look at Montrose and start preparing to get 3 points off them next week!

2 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Didn't think there was as many as 300 empty seats in our side, but there might have been at a push I suppose, but I thought there was more than 25 Airdrie fans there???emoji854.png

I had thought we might have 80 odds before the game but there seemed at least 150 in our "end" but that is just a guess, based on many away crowds we managed to summon. No doubt the turnstile creakers will have it right.  The league is really tight in the chase for the play offs at top but I thought our tempo and dig was so much better than under Findlay and that did surprise East Fife. If McIntosh produces that work rate and battling qualities against other sides I will be more optimistic about where the second half of season is going. Brave choices also by Ian Murray in team selection, and especially when his water bottle scattering also showed his fury at errors.

A good chance to cement ourselves into 3rd spot but Airdrie are a decent side and I backed them at the start of the season to win the league... That isn’t going to happen now but it looks like any 2 from 4 between ourselves, Airdrie, Forfar and Montrose for the play offs.

Disappointed to hear that supporters were booing Pagey. He was a good player for us and moved on for a different challenge.

Bossed it first half , and with some lovely quick football. Other than the stroppy goal - East Fife's first on target, we were well in command. And what a good 2nd goal  for Airdrie. Great cross, perfect execution. Played the counter game in the 2nd half, East Fife being more a more attacking threat but we still had a few decent chances.  I  was expecting a last minute (kick in the baws) East Fife  goal - but it didn't happen .  Well done Ian Murray

We just didn't get going at all today. Airdrie had the best of 1st half and felt we bossed the 2nd but couldn't do anything with the possession. Very sloppy from us.

Great well taken goal for the winner and no real complaints.

4 hours ago, Moon said:

To be fair we boo Page too.

Can we have him back? Tbf Pagey has lost that player within himself he was since we won promotion to this league and last season i dunno it seems he lost that bit of edge to him dunno if was to do with the both formation, results and team selection. 

2 hours ago, BJW said:
3 hours ago, T-zero said:

Pat was at left back, at times left to mark two players with no help from Docherty

For me Sparky is not a wide left midfielder i remember a pre season game at Spartans where we lost and he did the same thing and heavy exposed the left back and struggled to have the pace up and down in that position im not criticism the player but just manager error, infact Watt or even Kev should of started this game tbf. Overally puzzled why Watt nor the boy Thomson hardly gets a look in anymore remains a mystery but thats two games Airdrie under a new manager has done his homework and came out with a victory and both games our left midfielder and centre backs were up against it for the first game at (called the penny cars) call it excelsior whatever lol erm we were 2-0 up they managed to score 4, we had Dowds as a left sided midfielder if you go back to the highlights you see him heavily exposed and our cbs fell apart along with Dunlop conceeded a spot kick back then but im gussed they and Ian saw the weakness within our team and it worked again today!! Though fair play to the Diamonds the were worthy winners and if we took anything away it would be criminal as the lanarkshire outfits were the far better off teams on the day, fully expect Airdrie will be in the play offs or in the mix at least as predicted. As for us we need pick ourselfs up and focus hard for the trip to Angus part of Montrose with the Mo like forfar on a winnable form this will be another tough test, next weekend can't come any quicker.

Archived