Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Fide

Is there any benefit to always fighting for Spartan or Athens in each area? Or is purely down to how much good gear you want each time?
Had a look online about this earlier funnily enough. Basically, there is no way to avoid fighting both at different times. It doesn't effect the story apparently and is just down to your preference.

It doesn't matter and you can frequently switch between them in separate and the same areas with zero repercussions. You kinda have to respect Athenians and Spartans for being willing to hire the misthios that caused their control to be reduced to nothing into their army to help them reassert control.

Is there any benefit to always fighting for Spartan or Athens in each area? Or is purely down to how much good gear you want each time?
It doesn't matter and you can frequently switch between them in separate and the same areas with zero repercussions. You kinda have to respect Athenians and Spartans for being willing to hire the misthios that caused their control to be reduced to nothing into their army to help them reassert control.
Coming from RDR it just feels weird when you kill someone, not seeing an honour meter come up. I keep expecting my actions to have some kind of impact.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Coming from RDR it just feels weird when you kill someone, not seeing an honour meter come up. I keep expecting my actions to have some kind of impact.

Having 5 mercenaries (particularly when they're levels above you) tracking you when you're trying to clear a fortress is some laugh tbf. You can obviously just pay the bounty to clear but it makes the game a bit more interesting.

On 20/06/2020 at 21:12, NotThePars said:

Having 5 mercenaries (particularly when they're levels above you) tracking you when you're trying to clear a fortress is some laugh tbf. You can obviously just pay the bounty to clear but it makes the game a bit more interesting.

Absolute scenes when you end up fighting five of them at once along with the higher level enemies in the forts. I spent a good while after I completed the story just doing that for a laugh.

Absolute scenes when you end up fighting five of them at once along with the higher level enemies in the forts. I spent a good while after I completed the story just doing that for a laugh.

Especially when you get all the Isu upgrades from the Atlantis DLC. Just swinging the mad spear ability and cutting through like 30 guys at level 99.

I'm about 15/16 hours in so far and although I'm enjoying it, I'm not loving it like I thought I would.
Here's a few of the issues I have with it so far:

Too man quests - I'm abit of a quest junkie in games and will accept any quest going and have done so far with AC however there are far too many repetitive 'go there, kill that' type of missions, especially from the notice boards. I might just need to be more selective with this games.

Bounties - I know a couple of guys were saying they enjoyed fighting 4 or 5 bounty hunters when trying to take down a Fort but I've found it to be a pain in the arse more than anything. My tactic has now turned into get them on the raised edges and kick them off, pretty much instant death or at least three quarters of their health gone.

Sparta v Athens fights - this seems to be just a tacked on idea in each area and I find it pretty disappointing that who you choose to fight for in each area doesn't have a bearing on anything else in the game. I though it would at least affect the next area you move into.

Combat - I enjoyed the combat at first as it seemed to require a bit more skill and timing than previous AC games I've played but the more I've played it I've found it to become more and more repetitive, don't get me wrong you have to change your style slightly from one enemy to the next but I still feel its a case of 'dodge, then 4 attack combo' then retreat for most enemies. Also civilians getting in the way when your fighting and accidently getting hit then joining in the fight, I know they can be taken down with a few hits but it's bad enough if your already fighting a few enemies already.

I'm about 15/16 hours in so far and although I'm enjoying it, I'm not loving it like I thought I would.
Here's a few of the issues I have with it so far:

Too man quests - I'm abit of a quest junkie in games and will accept any quest going and have done so far with AC however there are far too many repetitive 'go there, kill that' type of missions, especially from the notice boards. I might just need to be more selective with this games.

Bounties - I know a couple of guys were saying they enjoyed fighting 4 or 5 bounty hunters when trying to take down a Fort but I've found it to be a pain in the arse more than anything. My tactic has now turned into get them on the raised edges and kick them off, pretty much instant death or at least three quarters of their health gone.

Sparta v Athens fights - this seems to be just a tacked on idea in each area and I find it pretty disappointing that who you choose to fight for in each area doesn't have a bearing on anything else in the game. I though it would at least affect the next area you move into.

Combat - I enjoyed the combat at first as it seemed to require a bit more skill and timing than previous AC games I've played but the more I've played it I've found it to become more and more repetitive, don't get me wrong you have to change your style slightly from one enemy to the next but I still feel its a case of 'dodge, then 4 attack combo' then retreat for most enemies. Also civilians getting in the way when your fighting and accidently getting hit then joining in the fight, I know they can be taken down with a few hits but it's bad enough if your already fighting a few enemies already.

For the quests, it sounds like you fell into my trap and kept checking the board before moving to another Island. I looked online and discovered these boards are rarely empty. Don't bother with Bounty ones as they are just filler. Unless the reward is orichalcum/you need cash/XP, then they don't enhance the story and aren't worth your time. Just pick the contracts.

I have to admit I love the battles at the end. It is a bit shit they are irrelevant but I just keep reminding myself my character is a mercenary and not an Assassin anymore. I'm just taking it as it is, for a bit a laugh. Slaughtering enemies and a good bit of stealth. After being absorbed in RDR, AC Odyssey is exactly what I need.

• 1 month later...

I'm now about 50 hours and whilst I have enjoyed it, it's now feeling like a bit of a grind, it's like playing the same 6-8 hour game, over and over again, which is fine if it wasn't for the fact that it'll likely take over 100 hours to play through.
I actually enjoy some of the story quests but there's far too many side quests that are just annoying fetch missions (I've stopped even looking at quests on message boards) and the thought of having to find the 40 odd cult members isn't exactly encouraging me to keep going.

I'm now about 50 hours and whilst I have enjoyed it, it's now feeling like a bit of a grind, it's like playing the same 6-8 hour game, over and over again, which is fine if it wasn't for the fact that it'll likely take over 100 hours to play through.
I actually enjoy some of the story quests but there's far too many side quests that are just annoying fetch missions (I've stopped even looking at quests on message boards) and the thought of having to find the 40 odd cult members isn't exactly encouraging me to keep going.
I've piled in well over 100 hours on it and it seems like it'll never end. Got back into it with the DLC which was excellent, particularly the Atlantis one. Think I'll finally get it deleted off my HDD with Valhalla on the way.

After a few weeks off, I started playing it again this week. I've done around 35 hours and am enjoying the fluffness of it; turn it on, explore, clear some camps, forts etc., maybe two or three story missions then repeat the process without really absorbing too much.

Kind of like QOS said earlier with RDR2, I started playing it after slogging through TLOU2 which has just made me appreciate the daft fun.

I'd be surprised if I get anywhere close to doing most of the stuff available (as an aside, I feel they should've chosen between mercenaries and cults) and I'm kind of dreading it chucking even more stuff at me, but it's been a breezy way to spend many hours.

After a few weeks off, I started playing it again this week. I've done around 35 hours and am enjoying the fluffness of it; turn it on, explore, clear some camps, forts etc., maybe two or three story missions then repeat the process without really absorbing too much.

Kind of like QOS said earlier with RDR2, I started playing it after slogging through TLOU2 which has just made me appreciate the daft fun.

I'd be surprised if I get anywhere close to doing most of the stuff available (as an aside, I feel they should've chosen between mercenaries and cults) and I'm kind of dreading it chucking even more stuff at me, but it's been a breezy way to spend many hours.

It’s a great podcast game or thing to blast through while watching something easy. Think I played it concurrently with a run through of Seinfeld.

On 13/08/2020 at 20:46, accies1874 said:

I bought it just before covid was a thing. Spent quite a bit of time doing pretty much what you're describing once we were in the house. 

I got to a point where I'd unlocked max on the abilities I actually wanted to use focused on story and side quests to finish them.  

Ended up like 140h or something in the end. 

• 1 year later...

Got the ultimate edition for £20 odd quid for my series S, playing it with 60fps, it’s a gorgeous game. The Story doesn’t seem all that captivating but I’m loving the gameplay so far. My only real experience of AC is with the first three games so it’s a definite change in tack.

• 3 months later...

They added free missions to both Odyssey and Valhalla where the story of the games cross over. I just played the oddysey part and it was a pretty decent fairwell to the game. Thought it would be just a couple of missions but they added a whole island with quite a few extra things to do and explore besides the main plot missions.

Will play the Valhalla stuff eventually but I've kind of been sickened by it as there's just so much of the game and its dlcs. I've completed the main Irish stuff but barely started the Paris DLC so would likely finish that before doing the Odyssey crossover stuff.

They also announced another Valhalla expansion that is supposedly over 35 hours long and is about £35, due out in march. Not sure I'll bother with it tbh.

7 hours ago, Rodhull said:

They added free missions to both Odyssey and Valhalla where the story of the games cross over. I just played the oddysey part and it was a pretty decent fairwell to the game. Thought it would be just a couple of missions but they added a whole island with quite a few extra things to do and explore besides the main plot missions.

Will play the Valhalla stuff eventually but I've kind of been sickened by it as there's just so much of the game and its dlcs. I've completed the main Irish stuff but barely started the Paris DLC so would likely finish that before doing the Odyssey crossover stuff.

They also announced another Valhalla expansion that is supposedly over 35 hours long and is about £35, due out in march. Not sure I'll bother with it tbh.

The games are too long. At the point now where a nice 12 hours is perfect for me. I think I put about 115 hours into Valhalla as pure junk food play.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think I put about 115 hours into Valhalla as pure junk food play.

This is the best description of it for me. The main storyline was fun, the Asgard stuff was a bit tedious and the DLCs are quite good fun. The Ireland one is beautiful to look at for sure. 

It's a fun game but I eventually had podcasts on in the background while I played it.