Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Fide

Unbelievably, there doesn't appear to be a thread for this, unless I've missed something.

For one reason or another, this appears to have slipped under the radar - maybe due to RDR2 dominating the autumn releases, maybe due to Creed fatigue.  Certainly I only picked it up when I got Game vouchers for Christmas.

I played Assassin's Creed Origins and was thoroughly bored by it and the franchise as a whole if I'm honest.  While, aesthetically, there are a lot of  similarities between Origins and Odyssey, the latter is actually running RDR2 close for my game of the year.  It's not quite there, but it's not far off.

The game has it's issues - some of the locales can be a bit samey and, if you're not yet at the mission level required for the story arc, it's a hell of a grind, but the game is fucking vast - from battles at sea, to mercenaries to (my favourite) the addictive Cult of Kosmos questline, it's fucking huge., mission wise and the map itself.

I can, for anyone sitting on the fence, highly recommend it.

2 hours ago, killie_lad said:

On the other hand, I find it the worst game in the series and an absolute chore to play through with godawful voiceacting and character animation. A game called assassin's creed in which you have to pay for dlc to see any assassin's

The worst game in the series? Genuinely? 

Yes, AC is one of my favourite gaming series and I've played played this about half way through and not enjoyed any of it. Even as much as I didn't think origins was a great assassin's game I at least enjoyed it as a game

24 minutes ago, killie_lad said:
3 hours ago, Fide said:

Yes, AC is one of my favourite gaming series and I've played played this about half way through and not enjoyed any of it. Even as much as I didn't think origins was a great assassin's game I at least enjoyed it as a game

I'm genuinely surprised at that.  I can understand the annoyance at the lack of assassins, but as a game itself, I think it's fucking tremendous.

Can understand people not liking it as an AC game along with Origins due to how much it's changed compared to the older games but I thought this was great. Far better than Origins. I think Kassandra is one of the best protagonists in the whole series history.

I have the DLC to play but am going to wait until it's all out before going through it I think.

Picked it up when it came out originally and haven't been able to put it down, honestly enjoying this the most of the whole franchise!

I think the mercenaries coming after you has added a bit too especially when trying to cut your way through some of the forts or tackling nation leaders.

I'm not sure about it so far. Getting into it a bit more but as yet, it's not totally grabbed me. Voice acting is dreadful and the combat seems to have regressed from Origins.

On that, I have also been a huge fan since the original, but I loved Origins and thought it was the best since 2. No coincidence that they're the only ones I got all the achievements/trophies in

Loving it. It's huge, daft, really fun and indulges all the dumbest parts of the lore and mythology. AC's always wore it's influences on its sleeve and you can see that they've borrowed a shit ton from The Witcher 3 with the "mercenary rolls up and solves your problems" mission style and other series such as the Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor/ War with the nemesis / bounty system. Greece is a really inspired setting as well and allows for a nice variation of on land and on sea missions. Finally, I mentioned this in the RDR2 thread but there's a clear contrast between the two where RDR2 prioritises immersion over accessibility and Odyssey does the complete opposite and is more fun, IMO, as a result. That might change once I catch the bug for RDR2 and play it through but as it stands I've little interest in playing it while I'm still working my way through Greece.

On 1/16/2019 at 07:59, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I've just done the missions where you find out who your real dad is. That story arc is the most Assassin's Creed thing imaginable.

It's the dumbest shit imaginable and I loved it. The resolution to the storyline around your Spartan family on other hand? Pure cringe.

• 1 year later...

Completely opposite type of game in that it prioritises convenience over immersion. Still took me at least a month to 100% though! It's massive.

Pop my reply in here. Aye I'm seeing that already. It doesn't feel anywhere near as in depth as RDR. Even riding the horse is a totally different experience. This game feels far quicker, which I'm happy enough with given I've been RDR for months and my next game will be TLOU2. So it breaks it up.

How do you know your completion % btw? I can't find it anywhere or are you meaning finishing the story? I'm 9 hours in alresdy and still got a shitload to do in Megaris!

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pop my reply in here. Aye I'm seeing that already. It doesn't feel anywhere near as in depth as RDR. Even riding the horse is a totally different experience. This game feels far quicker, which I'm happy enough with given I've been RDR for months and my next game will be TLOU2. So it breaks it up.

How do you know your completion % btw? I can't find it anywhere or are you meaning finishing the story? I'm 9 hours in alresdy and still got a shitload to do in Megaris!

I hit 1830 out of 1850 for gamerscore and only missed out on the last 20 because the achievement bugged. It's a weird game around completion because there's (IIRC) three separate end game main story quest lines even before you get to the two individual massive story expansions. Then there's multiple final side quests for most, if not all, of your major companions. 

Just started this the other night, seems decent so far but some big changes since the last AC game I played (Black Flag). Combat seems like it requires alot more skill and timing which is good but takes a wee bit getting used to, and I keep pressing square to attack by mistake.

Anyone have issues on the PS4 with the cut scenes being abit stuttery?

Just started this the other night, seems decent so far but some big changes since the last AC game I played (Black Flag). Combat seems like it requires alot more skill and timing which is good but takes a wee bit getting used to, and I keep pressing square to attack by mistake.

Anyone have issues on the PS4 with the cut scenes being abit stuttery?
Only when I pushed buttons to see if it could be skipped. Apart from that, no.