The Breakaways.... any good?

10 hours ago, Talbot 1978 said:

As the title says, how's the life going on the EOSL set up?

Was it the correct move?

What's the standard of team playing?

Crowds increased or down?

What's the Big Cup apart from league campaign.

What's next?

We've had a thread like this before. 

For camelon it was like a restart. The organisation of the league is better. I miss a lot of games through work but through organisation I've been able to make more games arrange time off etc. So because I knew we were playing linlithgow this saturday in July I put a days holiday in to make sure I could make it. Definnately correct move.

The standard ofor some of the original eosfl teams isn't good we know that but they will be playing together next year. Clubs like Crossgates have benefitted aswell. We haventh played some of the bettter original eosfl sides still to play Preston twice and Lothian thistle Hutchison Vale in a cup. 

Crowds have increased slightly. Could have been better if we had held onto some of the naysayers.  Some of it could be down to things the linlithgow game was played on a Saturday instead of midweek almost double the crowd.

The important cup for us was alex jacan and East south Shield which has got us into the Scottish Cup.  South challenge cup and football nation eos qualifying cup aswell. Are they as big as junior cup no but it would take time for people to understand that. However junior cup is seen more like champions league it seems to trump the league where no cup does that in eosfl. Instead of having he calendar wiped out with junior cup call offs we have cup dates. Eg 19th January was actually meant to be semi finals but with postponementsome scheduling etc its only he quarter final and no one's panicking. 

What's next Scottish cup and licensing 

Was it the correct move?

What's next?

The organisation is top notch and the juniors should be embarrassed they are run by such incompetent leadership from top to bottom.

Football standards are largely poor the existing teams would have mainly be lower level juniors.

That said all credit to them as they voted football ahead of their own interests when admitting in so many teams.

Season 2 should show a marked improvement as the split to 2 leagues takes place and then games will be more competitive.

Crowds are poor with only a few teams playing before decent crowds. Again season 2 may improve this as the games become more equal.

However personally I miss the junior structure of 3 regions and the opportunity to play in the junior cup.

I still think the move for Linlithgow Rose was correct - Tom Johnstone has killed the juniors by not looking to the future and embracing change.

13 hours ago, Talbot 1978 said:

Was it the correct move?

What's next?

For equivalent games crowds seem to be about the same - but in this transition season there are a lot of mismatches, and the crowds for those are lower. Personally I'm enjoying travelling to new places, and to clubs that, after this season, we likely won't share a league for a long time. It's a one-off season because the 13 EoS members let 26 clubs all join them at the same level level. That was a big sacrifice for the good of the game, and their organisation has been exemplary. Genuinely better than the SFA and SPFL.

The South Challenge Cup is a good competition - if the West Juniors joined (which they should if/when they join the pyramid) it would be better than the Junior Cup. You wouldn't have the North Juniors, but you have the LL, EoS and SoS instead, so it's a clear improvement.

What's next for Linlithgow Rose is a chance of promotion to the LL, but Bonnyrigg are clear favourites. So next is likely an EoS Premier that will be a similar standard to last season's East Superleague, only in a far better organised league and with the chance of promotion.

In the longer term we should all be looking forward to a LL with the best the east and west have to offer.

Was it the correct move? The East Juniors is now a backwater, staying wasn't an option. There was nothing to stay for. The EoS Premier will be a much stronger division than the East Superleague. And due to the fixture list I'm getting to more games, as I can stick them in the calendar and not find I'm double-booked on family stuff when we get two weeks notice of a game against Bo'ness. I'm also impressed with the U20 league; I was at a Dunipace game and there was a crowd of about 80, on wet a Friday night, for a youth game. That's more than most Premier League reserves get.

It's really important to note that the East had been on the slide for years. Maybe that was in part because we have competition for players and sponsors on our doorsteps from LL clubs, whereas in the west there is only East Kilbride. When Talbot are being beaten by a LL side, that's a wake-up call. Standing aside from the pyramid, and effectively below it, was only going to go one way in the east. Clubs like Whitburn are the ghost of Christmas future. 

4 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

The organisation is top notch and the juniors should be embarrassed they are run by such incompetent leadership from top to bottom.

Football standards are largely poor the existing teams would have mainly be lower level juniors.

That said all credit to them as they voted football ahead of their own interests when admitting in so many teams.

Season 2 should show a marked improvement as the split to 2 leagues takes place and then games will be more competitive.

Crowds are poor with only a few teams playing before decent crowds. Again season 2 may improve this as the games become more equal.

However personally I miss the junior structure of 3 regions and the opportunity to play in the junior cup.

I still think the move for Linlithgow Rose was correct - Tom Johnstone has killed the juniors by not looking to the future and embracing change.

Hopefully we will have east west and south next year and get rid of this nonsense of two leagues covering same area. Maybe because yous had a few Junior Cup finals that you miss it more than say us. although we had a few runs to about the quarter final mark which were fun at the time

7 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

is that the same Whitburn from the backwater that beat Linlithgow last week after giving them a 2 goal start ?

Maybe that's what you would describe as a wake up call. 

I'm sure Bradley won't be losing sleep over losing a xmas friendly. I;m sure its also not the beginning of the end of eosfl either. Do you have anything to do with whitburn or are you one of the names

9 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

is that the same Whitburn from the backwater that beat Linlithgow last week after giving them a 2 goal start ?

Maybe that's what you would describe as a wake up call. 

Oh dear getting all hot n bothered over a friendly.

I'm from the town but i've stopped going to watch whats on offer.

As for the whitburn committee,they are a disgrace.

They dont even want any integration with their youth sides far less the pyramid.

1 hour ago, Talbot 1978 said:

Interesting feedback. Good to see hardly any negative views. Could be a promising future for all of us if we all work together and get it right.

I'd like the west to come across in tact but with the sort of scheduling we have in eosfl

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

For equivalent games crowds seem to be about the same - but in this transition season there are a lot of mismatches, and the crowds for those are lower. Personally I'm enjoying travelling to new places, and to clubs that, after this season, we likely won't share a league for a long time. It's a one-off season because the 13 EoS members let 26 clubs all join them at the same level level. That was a big sacrifice for the good of the game, and their organisation has been exemplary. Genuinely better than the SFA and SPFL.

The South Challenge Cup is a good competition - if the West Juniors joined (which they should if/when they join the pyramid) it would be better than the Junior Cup. You wouldn't have the North Juniors, but you have the LL, EoS and SoS instead, so it's a clear improvement.

What's next for Linlithgow Rose is a chance of promotion to the LL, but Bonnyrigg are clear favourites. So next is likely an EoS Premier that will be a similar standard to last season's East Superleague, only in a far better organised league and with the chance of promotion.

In the longer term we should all be looking forward to a LL with the best the east and west have to offer.

Was it the correct move? The East Juniors is now a backwater, staying wasn't an option. There was nothing to stay for. The EoS Premier will be a much stronger division than the East Superleague. And due to the fixture list I'm getting to more games, as I can stick them in the calendar and not find I'm double-booked on family stuff when we get two weeks notice of a game against Bo'ness. I'm also impressed with the U20 league; I was at a Dunipace game and there was a crowd of about 80, on wet a Friday night, for a youth game. That's more than most Premier League reserves get.

It's really important to note that the East had been on the slide for years. Maybe that was in part because we have competition for players and sponsors on our doorsteps from LL clubs, whereas in the west there is only East Kilbride. When Talbot are being beaten by a LL side, that's a wake-up call. Standing aside from the pyramid, and effectively below it, was only going to go one way in the east. Clubs like Whitburn are the ghost of Christmas future. 

Makes you wonder how the East Juniors managed to cope all those decades with the East of Scotland League next to them never the recently arrived LL.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

...It's really important to note that the East had been on the slide for years...

This is the angle that I think some people from Ayrshire (especially rather than exclusively) don't fully grasp given things are still going quite well for them in relative terms. The East Superleague wasn't enough of a step up in playing standards for the old East Region clubs to justify having to make all the trips to Tayside to play against clubs that bring little or no support to away games, so it didn't really stop the rot. Some of the top East Region clubs really wanted a "superduperleague" Ayrshire-Central-East and maybe Fife but not Tayside sort of format back when the superleagues came in but were outvoted on that, because most of the other regions had different agendas. It's not that long ago that Ayrshire clubs derailed an attempt to put something like that in place again under SJFA auspices.  In retrospect, that was probably the beginning of the end for the junior grade as a separate entity from senior football.

Archived