Dumbarton -vs- Forfar Athletic

I'm going to be bit bold here and say, Dyer isn't the most to blame for the first goal. He seems to have drawn the short straw. Looks like Forbes (who was pretty poor yesterday) loses his man which leaves Dyer in between 2 Forfar players and not know which way to go.

Albeit - the player on the inside who got the ball was in the more dangerous position and should have been the guys he then tried to mark rather than staying in between not making his mind up.

I think Dyer is our weakest player and isn't good at all but sometimes is getting a harder time than he is due. In saying that, I don't think he should be turning his back on the 3rd goal. He could have headed the ball away if he was facing it in my opinion.

Any stills of the "offside"as I wasn't sure at the time and still think Baird may have just timed his run to perfection? Imagine the goals someone like John Baird would have scored for us yesterday with the chances we created...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Any stills of the "offside"as I wasn't sure at the time and still think Baird may have just timed his run to perfection? Imagine the goals someone like John Baird would have scored for us yesterday with the chances we created...

He's on imo. It's a brilliant run and decision from the assistant.

5c31d7b93aafd_Screenshot2019-01-06at10_25_26.thumb.png.7e7aff73dd104dbfb5f5314dd8ef4601.png

Just look at that though. Our two central defenders stood beside each other, whilst our full-backs both watch Baird get in the space behind them. Comes from that big space between the defence and midfield I mentioned yesterday too.

7 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Easton with three players round him taking them all out the game before slipping the ball through. Superb

Pass goes through Dowie's legs as well I think. Lovely wee bit of play.

On the highlights, 6min 44secs sums us up perfectly. Look at Dowie and selling himself on the half way line then a few secs later Hutton and his powderpuff challenge. It's honestly pathetic, there is more dig and fight from an under 9s team.

31 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

On the highlights, 6min 44secs sums us up perfectly. Look at Dowie and selling himself on the half way line then a few secs later Hutton and his powderpuff challenge. It's honestly pathetic, there is more dig and fight from an under 9s team.

I'm surprised that Spencer or Thomson aren't starting because they have a bit more pace/mobility/dig that is badly missing.  As much as I like Dom Thomas and would like him to remain a sons player, if the reported fee can be used to get in someone who knows where the goal is until the end of the season, I would suggest that is a better use of the money at the moment (though the ideal scenario would be this and keeping DT). 

49 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

As I mentioned earlier, Dowie was still recovering after stretching out to upend Hilson running past, he's plenty dig on his off-the-ball stuff.

Toddled along to this one as a neutral and thoroughly enjoyed it. Forfar's front players aren't ones that have impressed me in the past v Morton (or for Morton in Baird's case) but they showed great movement and were able to find each other with some simple but slick passing. Defence looked solid v Dumbarton's powderpuff strikers.

Despite losing three goals to fairly basic runs and passes, and a dodgy deflection, the fault was more The Sons' midfield than defence. No one tracked those runs, Hutton was a singular point of uselessness in every aspect you can judge a footballer, Forbes is slower than a week inside and the wide players too often left full backs exposed. Those same fullbacks were dropping in narrow to plug the spaces created by centrebacks stepping toward the play then being dragged out again.

2nd half, once the ginger lad came on, Dumbarton had a focal point in attack and Forfar's defence shat it a wee bit: they sat deeper, which played into Dumbarton's hands, and were unlucky not to draw.

Also £5 for entry to Dumbarton Castle's great value. £16 for Dumbarton FC is not.

As I mentioned earlier, Dowie was still recovering after stretching out to upend Hilson running past, he's plenty dig on his off-the-ball stuff.

I thought that was just a coming together at the time but watching that back Dowie was very lucky as it was a blatant trip.

Toddled along to this one as a neutral and thoroughly enjoyed it. Forfar's front players aren't ones that have impressed me in the past v Morton (or for Morton in Baird's case) but they showed great movement and were able to find each other with some simple but slick passing. Defence looked solid v Dumbarton's powderpuff strikers.

Despite losing three goals to fairly basic runs and passes, and a dodgy deflection, the fault was more The Sons' midfield than defence. No one tracked those runs, Hutton was a singular point of uselessness in every aspect you can judge a footballer, Forbes is slower than a week inside and the wide players too often left full backs exposed. Those same fullbacks were dropping in narrow to plug the spaces created by centrebacks stepping toward the play then being dragged out again.

2nd half, once the ginger lad came on, Dumbarton had a focal point in attack and Forfar's defence shat it a wee bit: they sat deeper, which played into Dumbarton's hands, and were unlucky not to draw.

Also £5 for entry to Dumbarton Castle's great value. £16 for Dumbarton FC is not.

At least you'd get some legroom for your money [emoji1]

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

To see ourselves as ithers see us.....absolutely spot-on analysis, including the last sentence.

23 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

5c31d7b93aafd_Screenshot2019-01-06at10_25_26.thumb.png.7e7aff73dd104dbfb5f5314dd8ef4601.png

Just look at that though. Our two central defenders stood beside each other, whilst our full-backs both watch Baird get in the space behind them. Comes from that big space between the defence and midfield I mentioned yesterday too.

6 players baw watching. 

On 06/01/2019 at 10:27, Ross Forbes said:

You could throw a hat over our back 4 there and still we can't stop the pass or track the runner. Ballantyne makes the poor decision to try and play offside but both Carswell and Dowie are drawn to the ball.

20 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Dowie's "challenge" on Hilson at the 6.40 mark was pretty crude.

I said at the time Dowie is lucky not to see red there.  It's off the ball and is so cynical it's unreal.

I genuinely didn't think we were that bad on Saturday and thought we were incredibly unlucky to have conceded 3, although looking at the highlights it's clear that when you defend like that you can't really feel disgruntled if you concede goals.  Teams have learned that doubling up on Dom Thomas essentially nullifies our attack and Dom Thomas hasn't yet learned to release the ball much earlier under these circumstances. We just move the ball so slowly and that's what's frustrating for me.  We don't have a lot of pace, so we need to make the ball do the work but on Saturday I lost count of the amount of times where a full back would have the ball and the opposite full back/winger would be in heaps of space - instead of playing a long direct ball into the space, we pass at along the back 4 to the other side of the pitch which gives time for our opposition to shuffle across and close the space. I think that's how the possession stats always seem to be in our favour - we're excellent at moving the ball around in front of our opposition but ultimately can't break them down in the final third. Set pieces - we have arguably the best left peg in the division playing for us and he can drop the ball wherever we want it, yet we can't seem to organise ourselves to attack a corner. Crying out for Mango there but folk like Dowie and Hutton should be clearing everything out when we're attacking corners.

I chose MOTM and I had actually already submitted Stuart Carswell as the winner before Bobby Barr slammed home his second of the game, thought it was difficult to give it to anyone else after that. Not sure I'll put my name forward again though, I think we've only won once in my 4 attempts at choosing.

Aside from the game, I spent the day in hospitality celebrating my 30th and was handed a commemorative bottle of whisky from John Steele, can't thank the club enough for a great day.  Mr Steele also touched on some other pertinent points in his speech but I'll go into those in more detail on our own thread so this one doesn't go off on a tangent. 

Archived