Dumbarton -vs- Forfar Athletic

Just now, Howlin' Wilf said:

Of course. you're at least 87 years younger than me!

O'Kelly Isley will have a better memory than I for some of the eejits we have seen. I seriously think that I was a better player back in the day than Pat Cairney and I wasn't even in my school team!  Willie Cairns, Billy Blackie, Danny Docherty,  Gary Dickie, Craig Lynes (The Ladyboy of Banknock)  are all candidates for the Raphael Schite imposter award. Willie Dyer isn't even in the nominations. 

:lol: That's a relief. I'm just glad I'm not losing ny memory just yet!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having supported Sons now for roughly a third of the club's entire existence, I cannot remember a time when we have consistently dominated games in terms of possession and territorial advantage and at the same time  achieved so little reward. Today was just ridiculous in terms of dominating play and territorial advantage but comic cuts defending and complete inability to take advantage of chances created, once again meant hee haw in terms of points on the board.  I urge any Sons supporter to look at these stats and seriously conclude that, if you didn't know the results involved,  you would guess one point from nine.

sonsstranraer.jpg.baed9be99dd29d4a72ebaf63c4ca49fd.jpg
stennysons.jpg.7057e99e1da7b11d8df34aaf70a8ef0e.jpg
sonsforfar.jpg.a3d754c55e65a92e4dd33c9fc15e833f.jpg
On 7th November 1987 Man City thrashed Huddersfield 10-1 at Maine Road. The visitors recorded more corners than their hosts. They still lost 10-1.

Statistics are helpful but they are sometimes to be treated with caution.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

On 7th November 1987 Man City thrashed Huddersfield 10-1 at Maine Road. The visitors recorded more corners than their hosts. They still lost 10-1.

Statistics are helpful but they are sometimes to be treated with caution.

Although I'd be interested to know if Huddersfield also had more shots and shots on target, fewer fouls and more possession. Statistics are what compiles the league table.

Dyer isn't great but really, to try to maintain he's the worst player you've ever seen in a Dumbarton shirt means that you are 1) Very young or 2) Have a bad memory.

I am 30 and I am seriously struggling to remember a player (who featured so regularly in the starting 11) being worse than Willie Dyer. In terms of his actual position he's most definitely the worst.

Guest bernardblack
Honestly, there were some embarrassing shouts from our fans today. Dylan actually can't win, he is involved in a lot in the first half and still our fans moan.

McCallum had a couple of dodgy moments today but was faultless for the goals. Yet because of his dodgy moments somebody let out a sarcastic cheer when he claimed a cross in the second half.

It was a weird game for me. We rarely attacked in the first half yet scored 3 of our 4 real chances (Dylan's wasn't really a chance thinking about it).

Then we soaked up the pressure with Dumbarton not causing us many problems, most of their chances were down to our hesitance, including the goal.

I was never worried until they got back to 3-2 and even then it was us that should have scored.

I thought Reilly was excellent. Always available, rarely gave it away. Hilson was great and ran himself into the ground. I thought Easton and Baird were both great first half but quieter second and Darren Whyte was great throughout. Overall, a good performance and a great win considering we had less of the game

It’s like some of our fans pay money to moan.

Great three points and with East Fife dropping points....excellent weekend!

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
47 minutes ago, Howlin said:
Dyer isn't great but really, to try to maintain he's the worst player you've ever seen in a Dumbarton shirt means that you are 1) Very young or 2) Have a bad memory.

I am 30 and I am seriously struggling to remember a player (who featured so regularly in the starting 11) being worse than Willie Dyer. In terms of his actual position he's most definitely the worst.

30 eh?

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Of course. you're at least 87 years younger than me!

O'Kelly Isley will have a better memory than I for some of the eejits we have seen. I seriously think that I was a better player back in the day than Pat Cairney and I wasn't even in my school team!  Willie Cairns, Billy Blackie, Danny Docherty,  Gary Dickie, Craig Lynes (The Ladyboy of Banknock)  are all candidates for the Raphael Schite imposter award. Willie Dyer isn't even in the nominations. 

As bad as Craig Lynes was, he inevitably scored the winner against us in a 1-0 game at New Bayview. In fact, I’m pretty sure if we’d won that game we’d have been promoted to the old 1st Division.

I did hear on clyde 1 this afternoon (was one of the featured matches) that the talk pre-match was Duffy was struggling to put 11 men on the park. We have been in this situation since day 1 of this season, if it continues I can't help but think there will come a Saturday in the not to distant future where our only sub is a GK. Duffy doesn't have the options to alter things at the min, he has to work with whatever jobbers are fit. IF and it's a big IF, we find enough funds or bring a couple loans in to at least have a full compliment of players, it's only them I think we will see if JD can turn us around. If not it's gonna be a long rest of the season.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

As bad as Craig Lynes was, he inevitably scored the winner against us in a 1-0 game at New Bayview. In fact, I’m pretty sure if we’d won that game we’d have been promoted to the old 1st Division.

Everyone does at least one useful thing in their lives. Just a pity Lynes chose to do it for East Fife.

Neil Rankine claimed to me, face to face, that he had secured Lynes ahead of a possible £200k move to Millwall.

I think it likely the claim was, how can I say this?, er...........bollocks.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
3 hours ago, Howlin said:

I’m of a similar vintage and Willie Dyer is comfortably the worst regular I’ve ever seen. I had serious reservations about him signing after his hilarious own goal at Brechin last season, and nothing I’ve seen since has convinced me that he’s a footballer.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
4 hours ago, Howlin said:

Surely James Allan was much much worse?!

As a footballer in general, I know he wasn't a leftback.

Good to hear from Jim at the end. I find it a bit reassuring to hear him speak positively about the group of players we've got and, to be fair, you can't argue with much of what he says. We don't turn domination into goals, get punished for near enough every mistake we make and have to work ridiculously hard just to scrape a point.

The defending is comical at times though. Look at the gaps.

5c31c7fee7459_Screenshot2019-01-06at09_18_15.thumb.png.f3b39f0244d4beadd0f035dbd5994f44.png

5c31c73fcdf69_Screenshot2019-01-06at09_15_08.thumb.png.0a933505f745c9e929451cc38a39ea9d.png

5c31c73a9814f_Screenshot2019-01-06at09_15_19.thumb.png.99ffb46db9d5b58ebb4dec6dc9dbb6e4.png

It would be a shame to lose Dom Thomas for one of our biggest games of the season, especially considering that Kilmarnock aren't playing again for a fortnight. It would also make getting in a few other bodies necessary. No way we can go into the game with just one outfield sub.

I have little idea why Hutton is going mental at the 3rd goal.

He looks like he's going mental at Dyer, presumably because he felt that Dyer should have stepped up to close the gap.  However, the gap wouldn't have been there if the nearest midfielder had closed the shooter down earlier.  The nearest midfielder being.......Hutton.

Also, our offensive corners, gut feeling is that our players are either standing still when the ball drops into the goalmouth, or attacking* it laterally, all the time.  Surely we could mix it up by having guys out at the 18 yard line, who run in and attack* the ball on a direct line to the goal?  

*I use the word attack fairly loosely.

14 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Having supported Sons now for roughly a third of the club's entire existence, I cannot remember a time when we have consistently dominated games in terms of possession and territorial advantage and at the same time  achieved so little reward. Today was just ridiculous in terms of dominating play and territorial advantage but comic cuts defending and complete inability to take advantage of chances created, once again meant hee haw in terms of points on the board.  I urge any Sons supporter to look at these stats and seriously conclude that, if you didn't know the results involved,  you would guess one point from nine.

sonsstranraer.jpg

stennysons.jpg

sonsforfar.jpg

What I take from the above is that relegation is now entirely foreseeable.

I haven't seen the matches but if we're playing well though getting nowhere then alarm bells start to ring. 

Archived