Dumbarton -vs- Forfar Athletic

I've never seen a team as averse to scoring goals as this mob. Honest to God. It's like they've all got big money on us not winning games.

If we had a John Baird type who just needs a chance or two to find the net we'd be troubling the playoffs at the right end. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easton was alright, as was Baird. A creative and attacking performance from forfar for the first half and then dug in to see out the game. #6 strolled it.

As for us, the 2nd half showed the players are still fighting, Barr and Paton probably had their best games for us I think, Thomas should pass more and Carswell played well.

I don't expect to see an exodus of players this month, I'm hoping we can bring in numbers to help. Pre match conversation was about what happens when we can't put 11 players onto the pitch...

Excellent three points! Someone tell me how good Easton was please?
Excellent first half, quieter second. A goal and an assist. Was involved in a lot of nice football first half but second half when we were under pressure didn't suit him, although he still did OK

I'm no great fan of Dyers but it's very harsh to single him out. First goal he was at fault as was the keeper as was whoever stood and watched the Forfar goal scorer standing in the six yard box waiting for the pass. Second goal wasn't dyer and third goal we backed off as we do every week. We just invite teams to shoot. At the other end of the park the number of times the ball bobbles about in the six yard box and no one puts their foot through it is hugely frustrating. We also had a good numbers of decent balls in to the box and no one attacks the ball. There's a lot more wrong with that team than Willie dyer

18 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Easton was alright, as was Baird. A creative and attacking performance from forfar for the first half and then dug in to see out the game. #6 strolled it.

As for us, the 2nd half showed the players are still fighting, Barr and Paton probably had their best games for us I think, Thomas should pass more and Carswell played well.

I don't expect to see an exodus of players this month, I'm hoping we can bring in numbers to help. Pre match conversation was about what happens when we can't put 11 players onto the pitch...

Agree with this. I've been very critical of Bobby Barr, but he got stuck in today, looked good going forward and worked hard to cover for Dyer. If he can replicate those performance levels consistently he'll be a big player for us in the second-half of the season. 

I know I go on about how big a fan of his I am every time I see him, but Thomas Reilly is a brilliant football player. Everything is just so effortless; he strokes the ball about, makes picking out killer passes look easy and just glides about the pitch.

He's like the lower league Cesc Fabregas. If he isn't in full-time football (assuming a return would suit him) within the next couple of years I'll be very surprised.

I'm no great fan of Dyers but it's very harsh to single him out. First goal he was at fault as was the keeper as was whoever stood and watched the Forfar goal scorer standing in the six yard box waiting for the pass. Second goal wasn't dyer and third goal we backed off as we do every week. We just invite teams to shoot. At the other end of the park the number of times the ball bobbles about in the six yard box and no one puts their foot through it is hugely frustrating. We also had a good numbers of decent balls in to the box and no one attacks the ball. There's a lot more wrong with that team than Willie dyer
Dyer absolutely should be singled out, considering he's quite possibly one of the worst players we've seen at Dumbarton. No one is claiming he is THE issue, but he's certainly one of them. Hutton was also dreadful today but he's at least capable of turning in the odd acceptable performance.

Carswell and Barr the only two who get pass marks or me. I'm also failing to see what the excitement is around Ballantyne, he's been very average IMO. Thomas is not as good as we think he is, he's far too greedy and 9 times out of 10 his end product is piss poor - he tries to do everything himself and it really is infuriating at times.

Duffy really has to get his finger our and make additions asap. We simply cannot afford to continue with this form any longer, we're is serious danger of being cut adrift at the arse end of the league.

Dyer absolutely should be singled out, considering he's quite possibly one of the worst players we've seen at Dumbarton. No one is claiming he is THE issue, but he's certainly one of them. Hutton was also dreadful today but he's at least capable of turning in the odd acceptable performance.

Carswell and Barr the only two who get pass marks or me. I'm also failing to see what the excitement is around Ballantyne, he's been very average IMO. Thomas is not as good as we think he is, he's far too greedy and 9 times out of 10 his end product is piss poor - he tries to do everything himself and it really is infuriating at times.

Duffy really has to get his finger our and make additions asap. We simply cannot afford to continue with this form any longer, we're is serious danger of being cut adrift at the arse end of the league.

Dyer should be singled out? But no one is claiming he is THE issue? Bit contradictory there BBPF

Guest bernardblack
Trying a wee bit too hard there.

You miss one game and suddenly you can’t ask how a player was ironically...

Bet fans are raging he scored today.

Guest bernardblack

He was average. Goal will most likely be changed to an OG. Nowhere near the calibre of Hilson & Malone. But if you went to the games, you would’ve known that.

Lolz

Dyer should be singled out? But no one is claiming he is THE issue? Bit contradictory there BBPF
It is?

He's obviously not the only issue we have but he is also quite clearly the weakest player in the team and arguably hasn't had a single good game since he arrived. He should be singled out for continually turning in utterly awful performances week after week. He doesn't need to be THE issue to be singled out.

Having supported Sons now for roughly a third of the club's entire existence, I cannot remember a time when we have consistently dominated games in terms of possession and territorial advantage and at the same time  achieved so little reward. Today was just ridiculous in terms of dominating play and territorial advantage but comic cuts defending and complete inability to take advantage of chances created, once again meant hee haw in terms of points on the board.  I urge any Sons supporter to look at these stats and seriously conclude that, if you didn't know the results involved,  you would guess one point from nine.

sonsstranraer.jpg

stennysons.jpg

sonsforfar.jpg

Lolz
Honestly, there were some embarrassing shouts from our fans today. Dylan actually can't win, he is involved in a lot in the first half and still our fans moan.

McCallum had a couple of dodgy moments today but was faultless for the goals. Yet because of his dodgy moments somebody let out a sarcastic cheer when he claimed a cross in the second half.

It was a weird game for me. We rarely attacked in the first half yet scored 3 of our 4 real chances (Dylan's wasn't really a chance thinking about it).

Then we soaked up the pressure with Dumbarton not causing us many problems, most of their chances were down to our hesitance, including the goal.

I was never worried until they got back to 3-2 and even then it was us that should have scored.

I thought Reilly was excellent. Always available, rarely gave it away. Hilson was great and ran himself into the ground. I thought Easton and Baird were both great first half but quieter second and Darren Whyte was great throughout. Overall, a good performance and a great win considering we had less of the game

4 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Dyer isn't great but really, to try to maintain he's the worst player you've ever seen in a Dumbarton shirt means that you are 1) Very young or 2) Have a bad memory.

Do I still fit into the "very young category"?

Just now, Ross Forbes said:

Do I still fit into the "very young category"?

Of course. you're at least 87 years younger than me!

O'Kelly Isley will have a better memory than I for some of the eejits we have seen. I seriously think that I was a better player back in the day than Pat Cairney and I wasn't even in my school team!  Willie Cairns, Billy Blackie, Danny Docherty,  Gary Dickie, Craig Lynes (The Ladyboy of Banknock)  are all candidates for the Raphael Schite imposter award. Willie Dyer isn't even in the nominations. 

Most people seemed to have worked it out. Our defending across the team is appalling and we can’t convert or even create from lots of possesion.

weve kind of went back to getting into good position but choose not to gamble in putting ball into box.

i also thought barr was useful today. Paton better if not great. Thomas again created most but also overdid it .

i kind of think whilst playing ok Carswell lacks a defensive mentality and I see a defender who can Marshall a defencee as a priority.

a lot have fans post about cgal being a decent forward. Sorry I don’t get that.

without any signings we will only be saved by Brechin it stenny not through anything we can achieve and forget about anything better.

Archived