Kilmarnock v Forfar Athletic

Andy_K_97

Since I can't see a thread for this yet I'll get the ball rolling. This will be the first meeting of the clubs since the 29th February 1992 (yes, it is an odd date indeed) where Killie won 2-0 at RP. I'm quite looking forward to this one as, like many other younger Killie fans I've never seen us play the Loons. Just a shame it's not at Station Park as not only would I like to cross it off my list at some point, I also want to cross a Forfar bridie off the list too.

As for the game itself, I wouldn't be surprised to see us rest a few names ahead of the blue bigots visit the following Wednesday.  Despite this I just can't see anything other than a Killie win for the reason being that under Clarke's stewardship there just haven't been any upsets or unexpected losses yet. Of course, anything can happen in the world of football and especially in the cup but I'm fairly confident that no matter what eleven we start if we continue in the way we finished 2018 then we can be in the hat for the next round. 

One other disappointment is the timing of this game and Auchinleck v Ayr - I was hoping that would maybe get moved to the Sunday for TV so as to make both games, but it'll just have to be RP for me. 

From the Killie website:

The club can now confirm admission prices for our Scottish Cup fourth round clash with Forfar Athletic.

The match on Saturday, January 19 at Rugby Park will kick off at 3pm.

Kilmarnock v Forfar Athletic, Scottish Cup Fourth Round  
Saturday, January 19, 2019  
Rugby Park, 3pm 

The prices are as follows; 

Adults: £15  
Concessions (o65, u21 and students): £10  
U16: £5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

A few hundred making the trip by Bus, car and train....we are on a bit of a roll atm but an early goal may see us take a thumping....anyway how long a walk is it from the station?

Google Maps says 36 hours 

Looking forward to this. Been to Killie around 10 years ago with a couple of Jambo mates and was a good day out with the pie being the highlight *insert Kenneth Williams gif*

If this was Killie before Steve Clarke I'd think we could give it a go but they should be far too good for us and I wouldn't think they'll treat us lightly.

Wee pub crawl through Killie. Any pubs best to avoid? Best for a few ales?

7 hours ago, tbsouth said:

A few hundred making the trip by Bus, car and train....we are on a bit of a roll atm but an early goal may see us take a thumping....anyway how long a walk is it from the station?

It's about a 15 to 20 minute walk from Killie train station.  

2 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Looking forward to this. Been to Killie around 10 years ago with a couple of Jambo mates and was a good day out with the pie being the highlight *insert Kenneth Williams gif*

If this was Killie before Steve Clarke I'd think we could give it a go but they should be far too good for us and I wouldn't think they'll treat us lightly.

Wee pub crawl through Killie. Any pubs best to avoid? Best for a few ales?

I've not been to a pub before a match in a while, but personally I have found The First Edition,  Brass & Granite (a Killie fans pub), The Portmann (like Brass, is not to far from the away end and is also child friendly), Wheatsheaf Inn (a Wetherspoons just round the corner from the train station) to be the best in the town centre. Whilst the Sports Bar and Park Hotel aren't too bad and are based at the ground. 

Been waiting on this tie for 12 years so was delighted when it finally came although a visit to Station Park would have been better.

I’ve watched Forfar twice this season and nothing suggests to me other than a convincing win for Killie. Don’t get me wrong we’ve had our fair share of cup shocks over the years but I can’t see it this time.

I was at the Dumbarton game a few weeks ago with my wife’s family and even though they won 3-2 I can’t see the Forfar defence holding out. Mark Hill was key to the midfield that day and he’s gone back to Celtic, John Baird looks like a bit of a playmaker off Dale Hilson but I’m not sure they’ve enough pace or strength to trouble Broadfoot or Findlay. I can see Greg Taylor having a great time against Jamie Bain who looks lost in that right midfield position.

I do think Dylan Easton could play in the Championship. He’s got a great touch and a bit of craft and vision. Not sure he’ll get enough time in this game but he’s quite similar to Greg Kiltie, even if Kiltie has a bit more about him.

The keeper for Forfar is the main worry I’d have thought. There was very little command of his box, crosses caused havoc all day and he flapped at a few shots, including a Dom Thomas trundle from 25 yards that went through him and hit the post.

I am looking forward to this and will probably end up sitting in the Away end but I can’t see anything but a Killie win, particularly with Reilly and, I presume Malone in the middle of the park.

5 hours ago, Piersquared said:

Been waiting on this tie for 12 years so was delighted when it finally came although a visit to Station Park would have been better.

I’ve watched Forfar twice this season and nothing suggests to me other than a convincing win for Killie. Don’t get me wrong we’ve had our fair share of cup shocks over the years but I can’t see it this time.

I was at the Dumbarton game a few weeks ago with my wife’s family and even though they won 3-2 I can’t see the Forfar defence holding out. Mark Hill was key to the midfield that day and he’s gone back to Celtic, John Baird looks like a bit of a playmaker off Dale Hilson but I’m not sure they’ve enough pace or strength to trouble Broadfoot or Findlay. I can see Greg Taylor having a great time against Jamie Bain who looks lost in that right midfield position.

I do think Dylan Easton could play in the Championship. He’s got a great touch and a bit of craft and vision. Not sure he’ll get enough time in this game but he’s quite similar to Greg Kiltie, even if Kiltie has a bit more about him.

The keeper for Forfar is the main worry I’d have thought. There was very little command of his box, crosses caused havoc all day and he flapped at a few shots, including a Dom Thomas trundle from 25 yards that went through him and hit the post.

I am looking forward to this and will probably end up sitting in the Away end but I can’t see anything but a Killie win, particularly with Reilly and, I presume Malone in the middle of the park.

That's probably a reasonable assessment of things from our side, though if given a chance I think Baird and Hilson might trouble Killie's defence a bit. Our defence won't hold out too much though.

Delighted Stewart is away as he tormented us a couple of season back for Dundee in a 7-0 hiding at Dens.

On 13/01/2019 at 23:19, Richie95 said:

It's about a 15 to 20 minute walk from Killie train station.  

I've not been to a pub before a match in a while, but personally I have found The First Edition,  Brass & Granite (a Killie fans pub), The Portmann (like Brass, is not to far from the away end and is also child friendly), Wheatsheaf Inn (a Wetherspoons just round the corner from the train station) to be the best in the town centre. Whilst the Sports Bar and Park Hotel aren't too bad and are based at the ground. 

You've also got "7 Saints" near the bottom of John Finnie Street for a pint & a gourmet burger, Nick who owns it is a big Killie fan & on The Killie Trust board.

If its just a beer and Sky Sports lunchtime football then the "Brass n Granite" on Grange Street is the place, a cracking pint and has about 20 TV's scattered about the place showing various different games...... 

Was also at the Dumbarton-Forfar game recently (to complete the '42' grounds). It was a strange game with Dumbarton having something like 60% possession, and a fair few chances, but Forfar doing well on the counter attack, and being clinical when a couple of chances came (the 2nd goal from memory was quite a deflection off the Dumbarton centre-half). Thought Easton looked useful, agree about the keeper flapping at crosses. Forfar were also pretty well organized defensively with two banks of 4. 

If we play to our strengths and hopefully get an early goal, we should, on paper ease though, but..longer the game goes at 0-0, if Forfar can keep it tight could be a longer afternoon than it needs to be. 2-0 Killie.

Archived