Albums of 2019

Yoss

22 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

New Sun Kil Moon is one of the worst things I’ve ever heard. He used to be so much better.

Have given up on Sun Kil Moon completely since that “Michael Jackson is a Bad Man, Do You See What I Did There” song. 

Long awaited debuts from Stella Donnelly and Sigrid this week. Both of which have a chance of featuring on first impressions. New Foals effort isn’t anything heather setting 

Edited by Christophe

Long awaited debuts from Stella Donnelly and Sigrid this week. Both of which have a chance of featuring on first impressions. New Foals effort isn’t anything heather setting 

The Stella Donnelly record is not as strong as the EP, to my mind. I think the arrangements make it clear that her skill is in the lyrics. Boys Will Be Boys is an incredibly hard hitting song, and I’m not sure the rest of the record matches.

It’s fine. I look forward to her second record.

On 22/02/2019 at 15:21, Christophe said:

The new Julia Jacklin, out today, is very promising on first couple of spins 

On 11/03/2019 at 14:44, Christophe said:

Long awaited debuts from Stella Donnelly and Sigrid this week.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

The Stella Donnelly record is not as strong as the EP, to my mind. I think the arrangements make it clear that her skill is in the lyrics. Boys Will Be Boys is an incredibly hard hitting song, and I’m not sure the rest of the record matches.

Jacklin's album is a step up from her first, I like it.

Donnelly's previous EP was so good that the album was always going to struggle to live up to it - and I'd still recommend newcomers to start with the EP but I'm liking the album too. Lyrically it's great, and sometimes that's just as hard-hitting for being put in a catchy pop song (Watching Telly, for example).

Almost all my favourite music so far this year has been from women - beside those two we've had good albums from Jessica Pratt and Tiny Ruins, and you could also add in Sharon van Etten, Self Esteem and female-fronted bands like Calva Louise and Cherry Glazerr. Also looking forward to Aldous Harding's album - love the first single.

I really like Julia Jacklin's new album. I've had "Head Alone" on near repeat since it was released as a single. Only had one listen to Stella Donnelly's debut but I like it - the contrast between her lyrics and her voice/music is really stark but it works very well. I might see if there's still tickets left for her Glasgow gig.

Looking forward to efforts from The National and Pip Blom over the coming months.

I really like Julia Jacklin's new album. I've had "Head Alone" on near repeat since it was released as a single. Only had one listen to Stella Donnelly's debut but I like it - the contrast between her lyrics and her voice/music is really stark but it works very well. I might see if there's still tickets left for her Glasgow gig.
Looking forward to efforts from The National and Pip Blom over the coming months.

If Pip Blom’s album is as good as her live show is, it’ll be excellent with a few forgettable moments.

Yeah, looking forward to Pip Blom as well, enjoyed their gig at Sneaky Pete's last year.

Karen O & Danger Mouse is worth listening to, of this week's releases.