Albums of 2019

Yoss

18 hours ago, Yoss said:

Started very strong but tailed off a bit, I thought. Will need to listen again though.

A lot out this week - also decent albums from Sharon van Etten and Juliana Hatfield among others. (Probably not "album of the year" stuff though.) And I really like the new singles from both Tiny Ruins and Martha Ffion.

On further listens this really is a great album. Seems to be detested by the Deerhunter diehards on DiS but I’m loving it.

The Sharon van Etten started a bit snooze city but quickly opened out into something quite lush, will be revisiting.

Edited by Christophe

For those of you with a masochistic bent, Weezer's Teal album dropped today.  It features covers of such classics as "Africa", "Everybody Wants To Rule The Word", "No Scrubs" (which Lee Bains uses in his soundcheck FYI), and, god have mercy on our souls, "Stand By Me".

I'll be staying very far away from this, but check it out if you want to see how far Weezer has fallen.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

For those of you with a masochistic bent, Weezer's Teal album dropped today.  It features covers of such classics as "Africa", "Everybody Wants To Rule The Word", "No Scrubs" (which Lee Bains uses in his soundcheck FYI), and, god have mercy on our souls, "Stand By Me".

I'll be staying very far away from this, but check it out if you want to see how far Weezer has fallen.

Curiosity got the better of me this morning. If you take some of the songs on an individual basis they are not terrible. However if you take the album as a whole it's a mess and all over the place. There was no need for this. "No Scrubs" and "Stand By Me" make the ears bleed though, catastrophic failure with those two in particular.

Out of respect for the integrity of my top 10 list, this will not be anywhere near it even at this early stage.

Edited by JamieStevenson

3 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

"No Scrubs" and "Stand By Me" make the ears bleed though, catastrophic failure with those two in particular.

The record is n't anywhere near as bad as it should be. Happy Together and Sweet Dreams are actually decent imo,  but I 100% agree with the above. No Scrubs, in particular, is an abomination.

Digging the new Conor Oberst/Phoebe Bridgers collaboration record Better Oblivion Community Center and also really liking the new Steve Mason record.

Edited by GrahamJags

9 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Sadly I am cursed to be a Weezer album completist so Teal and Black will be getting the CD preorder treatment from myself. :(

Going by the first two singles off  Black... it's going to be up (or down) there with Hurley.

Just say down there. It's fairly accurate. Black does worry me going on the first two songs. I'm glad they stuck mainly with older stuff on the last tour which means I don't have to see them again unloading more new stuff.

Rivers knows which side his bread his buttered on. Their live shows are pretty early-period heavy, which as you say is a blessed relief to everyone.

Been away for the best part of January so only now getting the chance to listen to new stuff.

So far my list consists of only one album ...

Steve Mason - About The Light

Fantastic album and possibly his best music since his Beta Band days.

Will give the Maggie Rogers album a listen on account of a few people mentioning her on this thread.

1. Rival Sons - Feral Roots

2. Maggie Rogers - Heard It in a Past Life

3. Bring Me The Horizon - amo

4. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All the Time

5. James Blake - Assume Form

I liked the previous album from Rival Sons but thought it was missing something. Feral Roots is a serious return to form, might even be better than Great Western Valkyrie. Great sound, excellent vocals, loved it.

Don't think I've ever bothered with Bring Me The Horizon in the past but felt like giving this a chance. I found it to be really chill and relaxing. Just a very smooth listen from start to finish.