Albums of 2019

Yoss

Listened to 25 new releases so far this year, and at least ten have been good, so here's my early top 10:

1. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time

2. Deer Tick - Mayonnaise

3. Steve Mason - About The Light

4. Better Oblivion Community Center - S/T

5. The Delines - The Imperial

6. Pavo Pavo - Mystery Hour

7. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow

8. The Dandy Warhols - Why You So Crazy

9. Swervedriver - Future Ruins

10. Fidlar - Almost Free

The worst thing I've listened to so far this year is the solo record from The Killers' former guitarist Dave Keuning. Utterly soulless. Even moreso than his band's output over the last decade.

Listened to Red Rum Clubs..very decent, White Lies new one which again is decent and Ian browns which is absolute dug shite. Got another couple to get through, Jay Tenant, Bring me the horizon and I quite fancy giving twilight sads a listen. Not a band I’ve ever listened to previously.

Think I've listened to about a dozen this year - there was loads out this week. Nothing that smacks of a potential album of the year so far, but Tiny Ruins probably the pick of them, with more than decent efforts from Cherry Glazerr, Sharon van Etten and maybe one or two others.

On 2/5/2019 at 09:31, GrahamJags said:

Listened to 25 new releases so far this year, and at least ten have been good, so here's my early top 10:

1. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time

2. Deer Tick - Mayonnaise

3. Steve Mason - About The Light

4. Better Oblivion Community Center - S/T

5. The Delines - The Imperial

6. Pavo Pavo - Mystery Hour

7. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow

8. The Dandy Warhols - Why You So Crazy

9. Swervedriver - Future Ruins

10. Fidlar - Almost Free

The worst thing I've listened to so far this year is the solo record from The Killers' former guitarist Dave Keuning. Utterly soulless. Even moreso than his band's output over the last decade.

That's a quality list, the year has started well.

On 1/2/2019 at 20:06, GrahamJags said:

The new Twilight Sad will doubtless be my album of the year. I think Ryan Adams is due a record out this year as well, but I think that’ll have a lot to do with if he stays clean.

Might be more to do with if he's still got a record label at that point.  New York Times has gone to town on him, with all sorts of (not entirely surprising) allegations as to his attitude towards women.   Not at all good.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Might be more to do with if he's still got a record label at that point.  New York Times has gone to town on him, with all sorts of (not entirely surprising) allegations as to his attitude towards women.   Not at all good.

Yeah, he'll be lucky if he even gets one out. Even though they'd be released through his own label, Capitol are the distributors and I can't see them wanting to put anything by him out.

The allegations aren't surprising in the slightest, because this sort of stuff about his attitude to women has been going around for a while. What is surprising to me though, is the extent of how horrific they are.

On 2/14/2019 at 15:00, GrahamJags said:

Yeah, he'll be lucky if he even gets one out. Even though they'd be released through his own label, Capitol are the distributors and I can't see them wanting to put anything by him out.

The allegations aren't surprising in the slightest, because this sort of stuff about his attitude to women has been going around for a while. What is surprising to me though, is the extent of how horrific they are.

This has now fallen back on to Bloodshot Records, Ryan's previous label.  Unfortunately, it all seems to be imploding there, with one the owners leaving and the other having to deal with the fall out from Lydia Loveless's revelations of equally abhorrent behaviour by people connected to the label.  It's all incredibly ugly.

The PWR BTTM thing was just the tip of the iceberg, it seems.

For those with an Americana/country leaning, the new Vandoliers record is pretty much faultless.

Having a wee listen to that on Apple Music. Sounds like a very polished Deer Tick to me. Which defeats the purpose of Deer Tick. Maybe they’re better live?