Albums of 2019

Yoss

Currently attempting to listen to the Michael Kiwanuka album that has attracted many glowing reviews. It's not for me.

Not a lot left to come this year I don't think. Maybe a Beck album next week, though I've not been bowled over by the early singles. Then nowt happens in December. The end of year lists will be coming soon (in fact Rough Trade's is already out - https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/albums-of-the-year-2019 ) so I'll see if there's anything important features highly on those that I've missed so far (as I think happened with Mitski last year) but otherwise we're pretty much done.

I've had a couple of listens to FKA twigs's "Magdalene". It's a bit challenging (for me) at times but there's four or five really good tracks on it. 

P.S., still have "Seventeen" and "Beware Of The Dogs" as my top two songs of the year.

Been doing a bit of catching up on some 2019 albums the last couple of weeks. Had a wee swatch through the thread and surprised to see limited love for PUP's effort and absolutely no mention of American Football at all as far as I can see. I think the latter is an incredible album. 

Away to listen to Nick Cave next off the back of the thread recommendations. 

Edited by CountyFan

I'm struggling this year.

Admittedly I havent made a huge effort. I havent bought nearly as many records as I did last year because I need to sort out some proper storage for them. That said, I can't think of a load of albums that have really done it for me.

Absolute stand out favourite of the year is Beware Of The Dogs by Stella Donnelly. I'm absolutely crazy about that album. I love her voice. I love her live performance. I think her lyrics are razor sharp and she can do funny and brutally honest with equal flair. Hasn't featured on any of the end of year lists but it's a really brilliant album. Beyond that?

I'll need to spend the next couple of weeks catching up on stuff I should have paid more attention to or made more of an effort with over the past year. 

On 09/10/2019 at 13:18, ListerRRFC said:

First attempt at putting together a top 10. I'd say it probably looks something similar to this:

1. Hello Exile - The Menzingers

On 22/10/2019 at 10:33, Meathead said:

Been listening to this pretty much constantly since it came out. Didn't expect them to top After the Party but they really just keep getting better and better. Would probably have them (narrowly) behind The Twilight Sad for album of the year, but 'Portland' is my favourite song of the year.

On 03/11/2019 at 21:49, Nelly78 said:

This is probably mine so far this year:

1. Hello Exile - The Menzingers

So until I was reading this thread last week I'd never heard of the Menzingers. Thanks for changing that. In the past week I've managed to become absolutely obsessed by them. 

I'm struggling this year.
Admittedly I havent made a huge effort. I havent bought nearly as many records as I did last year because I need to sort out some proper storage for them. That said, I can't think of a load of albums that have really done it for me.
Absolute stand out favourite of the year is Beware Of The Dogs by Stella Donnelly. I'm absolutely crazy about that album. I love her voice. I love her live performance. I think her lyrics are razor sharp and she can do funny and brutally honest with equal flair. Hasn't featured on any of the end of year lists but it's a really brilliant album. Beyond that?
I'll need to spend the next couple of weeks catching up on stuff I should have paid more attention to or made more of an effort with over the past year. 

Bohannons and Foxhall Stacks have been the two that I’ve listened to most often, but it’s been a thin year.

Fontaines DC top the BBC 6 poll as well. I like it but I'm not convinced it's on that level.

Bit of an odd top ten overall, though I guess that's what happens when it's a combined poll from several people voting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2kl6bfwYK6HSN32PYh2T6cT/6-music-recommends-albums-of-the-year-2019

On 18/11/2019 at 19:58, BallochSonsFan said:

IAbsolute stand out favourite of the year is Beware Of The Dogs by Stella Donnelly. I'm absolutely crazy about that album. I love her voice. I love her live performance. I think her lyrics are razor sharp and she can do funny and brutally honest with equal flair. Hasn't featured on any of the end of year lists but it's a really brilliant album. Beyond that?

Bloody love Donnelly, as I may have mentioned about a thousand times already. Think the album is going to be pipped into second place in my own list though.

Bloody love Donnelly, as I may have mentioned about a thousand times already. Think the album is going to be pipped into second place in my own list though.

She’s great. So much personality. Such great lyrics. I think her band is fairly perfunctory - I think I prefer the three piece she toured with on the EP.

It's been a pretty good year with 2 records way ahead of the rest.

1. Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear
2. Alcest - Spiritual Instinct
^
^
^
3. Tool - Fear Inoculum
4. Russian Circles - Blood Year
5. Devin Townsend - Empath
6. Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars
7. The Menzingers - Hello Exile
8. Wilderun - Veil of Imagination
9. Renounced - Beauty is a Destructive Angel
10. Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

Edited by George Parr

Don't think there is anything else to be released this year which might threaten my top 10, so I'll stick with this:

1. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time

2. Craig Finn - I Need A New War

3. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Fishing For Fishies

4. W. H. Lung - Incidental Music

5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen

6. Justin Townes Earle - The Saint Of Lost Causes

7. Hiss Golden Messenger - Terms Of Surrender

8. Djo - Twenty Twenty

9. The Yawpers - Human Question

10. Methyl Ethel - Triage

It's been a really good year, and there are a few which could've easily made my top 10 (The Hold Steady, Laura Stevenson, Ezra Furman etc). The top two might be well be up there for the best of the decade.

I've got three or four albums to work through still but I think I'm settled on my top 5 albums of 2019, in no particular order:

Stella Donnelly - Beware Of The Dogs

Julia Jacklin - Crushing

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

Fontaines DC - Dogrel

Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride

Also, I'd like to amend any previous shouts for my favourite song of the year. It's an absolute dead heat between Sharon Van Etten's Seventeen and Lana Del Rey's Mariners Apartment Complex.

This thread has introduced me to Stella Donnelly and I love her.

Yup. Doesn’t hurt that she’s cute as a button and genuinely charming, too. I think I preferred the EP to the album, purely because Boys Will Be Boys is one of the best songs of the decade.

I saw her at SxSW a couple of years back. There are buzz bands who come in with all hype, and then tend to disappear (hello Black Midi), but Stella Donnelly was the opposite, and came in and owned the festival. She played as a three-piece, at a pretty lousy venue with a lot of sound bleed. She turned the place silent - in a good way.