Albums of 2019

Yoss

On 14/06/2019 at 15:21, George Parr said:

Enjoying the new Bruce Springsteen record. Best thing he’s released in years.

Hitch Hikin' is lovely.  The stripped back stuff is great.   There Goes My Miracle is horrible.  By his recent standards, it's a terrific record.

Black Midi album out yesterday. I think it transfers to record better than I thought it might, but maybe it helped that I'd heard most of it already - not sure what I'd have made of it if I were coming to it cold.

A nod to the Palehound album the other week as well. And some albums from earlier in the year that I might or might not have already mentioned but that have grown on me in the interim - Wand, Rozi Plain, Calva Louise.

41 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Black Midi album out yesterday. I think it transfers to record better than I thought it might, but maybe it helped that I'd heard most of it already - not sure what I'd have made of it if I were coming to it cold.

A nod to the Palehound album the other week as well. And some albums from earlier in the year that I might or might not have already mentioned but that have grown on me in the interim - Wand, Rozi Plain, Calva Louise.

Couldn't make it to the end of the Black Midi record.  As pretentious as it sounds, I'm not quite sure it's designed to be listened to as a conventional album.    It lacks the structure (such as it was) of the Fall.  It feels like an hour, rather than the listed 43 minutes.  I don't know what to make of it, and usually that's a good thing, but I could never picture myself thinking, "Oh, lets put on some Black Midi."

The insufferably obnoxious Guardian music editor hates it, which is another arrow to their bow,  or whatever the phrase is.

Currently playing two recent albums.

Bedouine’s Bird Songs of a Killjoy is just lovely late 60s inspired folk, by way of Syria and Laurel Canyon. She’ll be on Jools Holland soon enough.

Dylan LeBlanc still has his high pitched register, but the plaintiff country has been replace by an 80s rock sound. RIYL The War on Drugs. Not sure what to make of it.

Dylan LeBlanc still has his high pitched register, but the plaintiff country has been replace by an 80s rock sound. RIYL The War on Drugs. Not sure what to make of it.

I absolutely love this record. I could previously take or leave his vocal but The War On Drugs-esque sound suits it perfectly. The title track in particular is great. Since he’s gotten The Pollies as his backing band, both live and on record he’s properly stepped up.

I absolutely love this record. I could previously take or leave his vocal but The War On Drugs-esque sound suits it perfectly. The title track in particular is great. Since he’s gotten The Pollies as his backing band, both live and on record he’s properly stepped up.

It really is terrific. He used to rock out pretty hard live with his earlier albums, but this is something else.

Wasn’t sure about the first couple of songs, but them aside it’s great.

Just listened to it this morning after forgetting it had even came out. Favourite off it right now is probably Shine A Little Light, great opener for the album. 

Walk across the water was the one that stood out for me. I had to double take that I wasn’t listening to pink Floyd near the end of that track.

On 07/02/2019 at 17:18, mighty meadow said:

Been listening to the self titled 2nd album by Sister John constantly on Spotify while I wait for my physical vinyl copy to arrive. Very early contender for my 'album of the year'.

1. Sister John - Sister John

2. Steve Mason - About The Light

Updated but still the same album at no.1

1. Sister John - Sister John

2. Callum Easter - Here Or Nowhere

3.  Billie Eilish - When we all Fall Asleep, Where Do we Go?

4. Amyl & The Sniffers - Amyl & The Sniffers

5. Sacred Paws - Run Around The Sun

6. Steve Mason - About The Light

Few more albums vying for position at the moment. Will update soon.

Edited by mighty meadow

4 hours ago, mighty meadow said:

Aye, you're correct. Probably the reason I forgot to put it in my list earlier. Either that or I was listening on Spotify which was the Deluxe Version (2019) 🙂

Ah, it's been re-released with extra tracks? Fair enough then, carry on.

The Black Keys is a pretty enjoyable album, some good fun tunes on here. Pretty consitant band

Would recommend the The Black Pumas album, their first one if you like a bit of soul.

Also Foo Fighters guitarist Chris Shiflett has an entertaining blues,rocky,country album out which is good fun.

Dream Theaters new album is pretty average. So many of bands ive listened since teens really struggling of late. Really getting into newer stuff and older 60s-80s now. Getting old obvs.  Rammstein, Weezer, Dream Theater etc have all been average at best. Im glad I can still enjoy new music though, Im not finding it noise as I get older.