Albums of 2019

Yoss

On 3/25/2019 at 23:48, The Skelpit Lug said:

I've played Walk Through Fire by Yola twice today and it's a belter. Soul with Country and R&B through it. Produced by Dan Auerbach so sounds beautifully put together. Well worth a listen.

She's going to be absolutely huge.  She's got it all.

On 10/03/2019 at 14:29, Principal Flutie said:

Gave Swervedriver and Puppy efforts a listen over the last couple of days. Really impressed by both. Especially the latter.

Excellent shout on Swervedriver:I think spiked flower is my new favourite song (for at least a day) so will give Puppy a whirl on the strength of your recommendation. 

Laura Stevenson's album "The Big Freeze"  is a lovely, mellow listen for those into Courtney-Marie Andrews or even  early Sharon Van Etten.  Don Giovanni Records is by a mile my favourite record label at the moment.

So back at End Of The Road in 2017, I saw this band called W.H. Lung, and they were incredible. Long motorik, Kraut-rock-y joy,  with an captivating frontman. Finally, after 18 months of waiting, they’ve finally dropped their debut album today and it’s everything I’d hoped for. Hardcore recco! 

20 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Fontaines DC released Dogrel [sic] today. It’s a “challenging” listen.

It's less raucous and angry than I expected but I like it, on first go.

Scouring the End of the Road undercard comes up trumps again - it's been out for a few weeks but I just discovered the Pom Poko album (Birthday). Absolutely love it, every track reminds me of Deerhoof at their most joyous best. First serious album of the year contender for me, probably.

It's less raucous and angry than I expected but I like it, on first go.

He’s a very intense young man going by his live shows. I wasn’t expecting the Pogues style tracks. I think I like it, too, but I’m not entirely sure.

Gave the Fontaines DC effort a go based on this thread. It's a grower, for sure. 

Aldous Harding has a new album out today, so that'll be given a spin over the weekend. Australia and New Zealand seem to be knocking it out off the park as far as "new" music goes - seems to be most of the things I'm listening to recently are of the Antipodean variety.

My top 10 for the year so far is:

1. The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time

2. Craig Finn - I Need A New War

3. The Yawpers - Human Question

4. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Fishing For Fishies

5. W. H. Lung - Incidental Music

6. Methyl Ethel - Triage

7. Deer Tick - Mayonnaise

8. Matthew Logan Vasquez - Light'n Up

9. Frankie & The Witch Fingers - Zam

10. Jon Fratelli - Bright Night Flowers

Been a good year so far for new releases, as far as I'm concerned. The top six of that are fantastic, with the top two near enough being masterpieces. Spent all weekend listening to the Finn record since it came out on Friday and all year with The Twilight Sad one on constantly.

Edited by GrahamJags