Bo'ness history - Day by day

Dec 21st

We now go to 1963 and Broxburn Athletic were the visitors in a Brown Cup tie.  The 'brox were never really in it as the BU;s cruised to a 4-1 win.  It took a penalty from Sandy Myles to start things off however.  Alex Gibb added a second before Kenny Gillespie notched a couple.

The team was: Allan, Cram, P Campbell, Myles, W Campbell, Jackson, Gibb, Turner, Gillespie, Johnstone, Sneddon

•  

On 11/03/2019 at 08:49, Jambo'ness said:

No teaser today.  Really nothing much of interest happened on this day in history.

For those who are interested, I have now started doing research on Bo'ness Cadora & the short-lived Bo'ness side that won the East of Scotland League before the war.

Ultimate aim will be to research a complete picture of Senior & Junior football in Bo'ness going as far back as possible.

This may be a stupid question...

...but what does Cadora mean?  Does it refer to the Ca'd'oro? 

They were named after a café... itself presumably a corruption of Ca d'Oro which is Venetian for Golden Palace.

There are various Cadora chip shops, restaurants, etc. presumably started by Italians.

Bo'ness Journal & Linlithgow Advertiser
Friday 19th November 1948

607023127_BonessCadora.JPG.177c5f2f85f2eaca2fd811f105be5fae.JPG

EDIT: Initially my assumption was it would be similar to Vale Ocoba, who took up the baton of senior football in Alexandria in the 1930s after Vale of Leven folded.

That was the Old Boys' Association of Vale [of Leven] Old Church i.e. Vale OCOBA.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Dec 22nd

1979 and the BU's travelled to play old foes Newtongrange Star in a League match.  As usual it was a keenly-fought contest, with the BU's coming out on top by 2-1.  Eric Davidson and big defender Jim Stewart got the goals.

The team was: Crooks, Dunleavie, McQueen, H Temperley, Stewart, Gibb (Mulholland), Wilson, Miller, Davidson, Reid, W Temperley

Dec 23rd

1967 and Linlithgow Rose surrendered a 3 month unbeaten run at the hands of the BU's, although at half-time the BU's trailed, rather against the play.  It took only 5 mins to draw level, Benny McGuire shooting home.  15 mins later, Ronnie Cowan became the toast of Newtown  by adding the eventual winner 2-1

The team was: Crawford, McCandless, Orr, McMeechan, Gray, McQueen, Heenan, Cowan, McGuire, J Sneddon, Watson

Dec 24th

Christmas Eve 1955 and the BU's spoiled Camelon's celebrations, coming home with two League points.  Jimmy Boyd and former Camelon Thistle player Gibby Ormond grabbed the goals.  2-0

The team was: Wren, Donnelly, Hall, Taggart, Trialist, Hume, P Foley, McCarroll, Boyd, Hunter, Ormond

Might not have much time (or space) tomorrow to post this, so here is your Christmas Day special a little early! 

Dec 25th

A very merry Christmas for the BU's in 1965 in the section match of the RL Rae Cup at home to Penicuik Athletic.  The BU's won 7-3, making that 14 scored against the cuikie in two games.  Future Scotland international John Blackley scored twice but was outdone by hat-trick scorer Archie Meikle.  Davie Philp & Jan Komorowski netted the others.

The team was: Preston, Chambers, Kennedy, Blackley, Broome, Myles, Caproni, McFarlane, Meikle, Philp, Komorowski

16 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Might not have much time (or space) tomorrow to post this, so here is your Christmas Day special a little early! 

Dec 25th

A very merry Christmas for the BU's in 1965 in the section match of the RL Rae Cup at home to Penicuik Athletic.  The BU's won 7-3, making that 14 scored against the cuikie in two games.  Future Scotland international John Blackley scored twice but was outdone by hat-trick scorer Archie Meikle.  Davie Philp & Jan Komorowski netted the others.

The team was: Preston, Chambers, Kennedy, Blackley, Broome, Myles, Caproni, McFarlane, Meikle, Philp, Komorowski

Be interesting to know the attendance and how many were from Penicuik 

Be interesting to know the attendance and how many were from Penicuik 

Attendance was 14,604.

*10,000 supporters there from Bo’ness.

*4000 neutrals needing an excuse to avoid their families on Christmas Day.

*600 away fans through from Penicuik.

*4 down from Linlithgow totally obsessed with the B.U.

Dec 26th

1953 and a home match with Thorntree United in the 2nd Round of the Thornton Shield.  Hugh McMahon & Billy McKeown netted before the break.  Hugh completed his hat-trick after the break and Jimmy Donnelly got a brace.  The BU's never let up, as they sat on 99 goals for the season but Thorntree refused to yield further and even got a consolation in the last minutes. 6-1

The team was: Ronald, Mitchell, McKeeman, Hogg, Boyd, McBlain, Scott, McMahon, Donnelly, McKeown, Ormond 

Thorntree United were from Port Seton in East Lothian to save people doing the googling I just did to find out.
to add to this as per the data in the Scottish Football Historical Archive club database the club were active between 1931-1955.

Half the fun of this thread is the long gone & at times obscure club names that pop up.

Dec 27th

We now go to 1982 and a trip to the then home of Penicuik Athletic, Eastfield Park.  It was a Brown Cup 1st Round tie and the BU's romped to a 6-0 victory, on their way to winning the competition that season.  Tom Balanowski stole the honours with a hat-trick, ably supported by Lex Shields who got himself a double.  Lennie Reid completed the misery for the home team.

No team lines available

Dec 28th

2013 and Linlithgow Rose were humbled at Newtown in the League, their first league defeat since March 2012.  Nicky Walker opened the scoring just after the half hour.  There was drama just before the break, as Steven Hislop hit the post with a penalty but Andy Scott was on hand to net the rebound.  Ten mins into the 2nd half and things looked even 'rosier' for the BU's as Ovenstone was sent off for a bad challenge on Scott and Darren Gribben fired home the resultant free-kick from 25 yards.  Shirra was next to see red but Coyne pulled one back.  Almost immediately, Gribben added a fourth. 4-1

The team was: Peat, Snowdon, Devine (T Jaconelli), Murphy (Gibb), Hunter, Nimmo, Walker, A Scott, Hislop, Sloan, Gribben (Anderson)

Dec 29th

1945 and Creamery Park, Bathgate was the setting for a 3rd replay in the East of Scotland Cup against Newtongrange Star.  There was a large crowd, with chartered buses bringing fans of both teams to the game.  The scores were level at the break with Francis O'Hagan scoring for the BU's, Pryde for Nitten. O'Hagan again and Robert Smith netted to give the BU's a well merited 3-1 win. 

The team was:  Bennie, Monaghan, Speakman, Gardner, Liddle, Brash, McGowan, McKay, McLean, Smith, O'Hagan

As we come to the end of the year and as you said Jambo the 31st. will be the last instalment on this thread, I for one and I'm sure many others are  going to miss your daily contributions. A lot of time and hard work has gone into this. I thank you for this and wish you good luck with your  research into the past football in Bo'ness.

As we come to the end of the year and as you said Jambo the 31st. will be the last instalment on this thread, I for one and I'm sure many others are  going to miss your daily contributions. A lot of time and hard work has gone into this. I thank you for this and wish you good luck with your  research into the past football in Bo'ness.

Aye, brilliant work. Going to miss reading the daily instalment with my morning coffee. Superb effort Jamboness. [emoji122]

11 hours ago, Standalone said:

Thank you.  An old cliché but it has been a labour of love.  I got a great xmas present by looking through West Lothian Couriers and found two of the missing results I need plus a few dozen line-ups the Journal never listed.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Didn't realise this was being wound-up on Tuesday. It's been very interesting.

That being so can we get an advance instalment for February 29th?

You'll just have to read the club's official social media as they are still going on there.

9 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Aye, brilliant work. Going to miss reading the daily instalment with my morning coffee. Superb effort Jamboness. emoji122.png

Thank you 8mile.  You'll just have to log on to Facebook or Twitter now.

Dec 30th

1973 and a short trip to meet B Division side Grangemouth Rovers in the 2nd Round of the East of Scotland Cup.  A few fringe players were included but that didn't stop the BU's pulling off a 3-1 win.  The goals coming from Lee, Woods and Bobby Murray.

The team was: Eccles, Toal, Simpson, Woods, Forrester, I McQueen, Connell, Murray, Squair, Johnston, Lee sub Sinclair

Edited by Jambo'ness