Bo'ness history - Day by day

Nov 10th

1956 and the BU's had, in the previous 2 weeks, scored and conceded 7 goals.  So would that run continue?  Musselburgh Athletic were the visitors in a Murray Cup match and the BU's pulled through by 4-2.  Doubles were scored by James Glennon and John Hunter.  That took Glennon up to 15 for the season.

The team was: Ronald, D McGregor, Gavin, Collumbine, McBlain, Watson, Young, Collins, Glennon, Hunter, Ormond

Nov 11th

1978 and a Junior Cup 1st Round replay at home to Arbroath Victoria.  The Journal reported it as a "Bizarre tie".  Goalless at the break, the BU's scored three in a 15 minute spell.  Lenny Reid opened the scoring, Brian Eddie added a 2nd and the 3rd was also netted by Eddie after some "kamikaze-style" defending as 'keeper Eric Martin collided with one of his own players.  However, the action was not over.  Firstly Derek Ward scored an own goal, then a mystery penalty was awarded to the Vics and gratefully scored.  An open goal was then missed in the last seconds but 3-2 it finished.

The team was: Howie, Ward, Dunleavie, Stewart, McQueen, Reid, Boyd, Craw, Eddie, Masterton, Robertson subs McDonald, Shields

Nov 12th

1988 and the BU's were playing their 5th cup-tie in a row.  This time it was the Fife and Lothians Cup, with Haddington Athletic the visitors to Newtown.  They were swept aside 5-1 with Jimmy Fisher bagging a brace, one a penalty.  The other goals came from Russell Cheape, John McLaughlan &  sub, Steve Cowan.

The team was: Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Campbell, G McLennan, McLean, Fisher, Shields, Allison, Cheape, McLaughlan, Dalton (Cowan)

Nov 13th

1965 saw the BU's travel to Penicuik in the R L Rae Cup.  It turned out to be our biggest ever win over the Athletic, 7-0.  Archie Meikle was the star with a hat-trick but he was ably supported by goals from Peter Caproni, Jim McFarlane, Willie McLeod and a Bobb y Broome penalty.

The team was: Preston, Blackley, Gellatly, Trialist, Broome, Myles, Caproni, McFarlane, Meikle, McLeod, Komorowski

Nov 14th

2009 saw an East of Scotland Cup 2nd Round tie at home to Kirkcaldy YM.  The BU's had scored seven at Arbroath in the ist Round and went one better by winning 8-1.  The Fifers actually took the lead but the game was turned on its head after half an hour, when the YM 'keeper was shown the red card after bringing down Nicky Walker.  With no sub goalie, defender Robert Martin took the gloves but could not save Andy Shirra's penalty.  A BU side missing five regulars then went to town, David Morrison scoring a minute later.  Jamie Nixon & Danny Main also netted but the star was Nicky Walker who got himself four goals.

The team was: Longmuir (Reid), Main, Kiczynski, Forrest (Wright), Duffin, D Morrison, Nixon (Ballantine), Shirra, Donnelly, Walker, Hay

Nov 15th

1952 and it was Junior Cup 3rd Round day.  The visitors were Thornton Hibs, who had already ousted Camelon & Linlithgow Rose from the competition.  A crowd of 4600 turned up expecting to see a close contest.  Instead, they saw a master-class from the BU's that saw them four up at the interval, with a further two added in the second half.  6-0  Ian Simpson opened the scoring on 20 mins, Alex Grieve then scored two and Alec Ross netted a penalty just before the break.  Ross netted again 5 mins after the break and the scoring was completed when 'Tiger' Mitchell sent in a 40 yarder that slipped through the 'keeper.

The team was: Ronald, Mitchell, McKeeman, Simpson, McBlain, Paterson, McAra, Donaldson, Grieve, Ross, McLeod

Nov 16th

1946 and the BU's faced a Junior Cup 3rd Round replay at Brewery Park, home of Haddington Athletic.  The BU's took over 1100 fans to the game, with 28 buses and a special train making the journey.  In heavy conditions Willie Dickson opened the scoring.  After the Hi-Hi's had equalised, Jim McLean put the BU's ahead by the break.  The home team again equalised but goals from Willie Pryde & James Anderson put the tie beyond doubt. 4-2

The team was: Stanners, Duncanson, Keenan, Plumb, Stewart, Brash, Dickson, Pryde, Anderson, McKie, McLean

Nov 17th

1984 saw the League Cup Final between the BU's and Bonnyrigg Rose.  The game, held at Newtown, ended in a 4-4 draw.  John Robertson & Lenny Reid scored before lesser-known sub Des Kerr scored a double.

I don't have a match report, so maybe some of our viewers can shed light on how the game went.

The team was: Henderson, Dunleavie, Breen, Young, Caldwell, Reid, Shields, Beaton (Kerr), Sinnet, Hamilton (Carroll), Robertson

Nov 18th

1961 and the visitors in a League match were Alva Albion Rangers.  Although it finished 7-2 to the BU's, it was all started by an Alva own goal.  Jimmy Blevins netted next.  Robert Sneddon & John Penman both got a brace and the famous-sounding Frankie Vaughan got the other.

The team was: Trialist, Kemp, Stirling, Veitch, Scott, Jackson, Blevins, Batchelor, Vaughan, R Sneddon, Penman

Nov 19th

1966 and the BU's made their one and only visit to Whitestone Park to play new Junior outfit Peebles Rovers in an R L Rae Cup-tie.  The BU's cruised through 5-2.  The goals came from a Brian Purden double.  James McPaul also scored two and Gregor Abel bagged the other.

The team was: Bett, Moreland, Calder, Broome, King, Miller, Orr, Abel, Purden, Watson, McPaul

•  

Nov 20th

1954 and the BU's were at the height of their powers.  They had won the opening 18 games of the season and had scored seven in two of the last three games.  They increased both totals by one as they blitzed Grange Rovers 7-1 away from home.  The goals came from a hat-trick by Alex Scott, two from Jimmy Harrower & one each from Hugh McMahon and Billy McKeown.

The team was: Ronald, Mitchell, Blackwood, Hogg, Boyd, McBlain, Scott, McMahon, Harrower, Hunter, McKeown

5 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Nov 20th

1954 and the BU's were at the height of their powers.  They had won the opening 18 games of the season and had scored seven in two of the last three games.  They increased both totals by one as they blitzed Grange Rovers 7-1 away from home.  The goals came from a hat-trick by Alex Scott, two from Jimmy Harrower & one each from Hugh McMahon and Billy McKeown.

The team was: Ronald, Mitchell, Blackwood, Hogg, Boyd, McBlain, Scott, McMahon, Harrower, Hunter, McKeown

Great team !

10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Are you not doing question challenges anymore Jambo?

TBH it was a lot of extra work for little interest.  Now's as good a time to announce that I will stop posting on this thread on December 31st, meaning a full year will have been done.  

But fear not!  The records will continue on the official Bo'ness United media.  It just means I don't have to post every morning, no matter how I feel and can prepare well in advance.

I am engaged in researching the history of football in Bo'ness, including the original seniors, Cadora, Vale of Grange, Our Boys and others.  Down the line, I'll be looking to have published in some format.  Same with the BU history.  There is so much that needs to be told!

TBH it was a lot of extra work for little interest.  Now's as good a time to announce that I will stop posting on this thread on December 31st, meaning a full year will have been done.  
But fear not!  The records will continue on the official Bo'ness United media.  It just means I don't have to post every morning, no matter how I feel and can prepare well in advance.
I am engaged in researching the history of football in Bo'ness, including the original seniors, Cadora, Vale of Grange, Our Boys and others.  Down the line, I'll be looking to have published in some format.  Same with the BU history.  There is so much that needs to be told!

Just wondered mate, and fair enough. This has been tremendous work though. Superb and well done! [emoji122]

I’ll look forward to and continue to read the records on Twitter when the time comes for this thread to end. It’s literally become part of my pre-work morning routine. Coffee and bit of BU history!

Nov 21st

1992 and a home League win over Bonnybridge by 4-1.  Star of the show was hat-trick hero, Gary Dalton, with Jimmy Burns netting the opener.

The team was: Kirkwood, Davidson, Hoggan, McLean, Dunleavie (Allison), McLennan, McLaren, Purdie, Dalton (Wannan), Burns, Meldrum

13 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Just wondered mate, and fair enough. This has been tremendous work though. Superb and well done! emoji122.png

I’ll look forward to and continue to read the records on Twitter when the time comes for this thread to end. It’s literally become part of my pre-work morning routine. Coffee and bit of BU history!

Totally agree. Big thanks Jambo. 

Nov 22nd

1975 saw the BU's begin their march to Junior Cup glory with a trip to play Haddington Athletic in Round 2.  he BU's came home with a narrow 1-0 win, courtesy of a 12th minute close range shot from Tom Balanowski.  Doug McIntosh going off after two yellow cards proved no barrier.

The team was: McBain, J McQueen, McGuinness, McIntosh, Temperley, I McQueen, Miller, Balanowski, Anderson, Mitchell, Taylor subs Purdie, Robinson