Bo'ness history - Day by day

2000 and Livingston United were the visitors for a League Cup tie.  The BU's marched into the semi-finals with a 5-1 win, courtesy of a hat-trick from Dale Ryan and goals from Kevin Inglis and Jamie Loney.

The team was: N Binnie, Smith, King, Yates, C Inglis, K Inglis, Ryan, Kemp, Ward, Loney, Drew (McKinlay)

Sorry for not posting yesterday, as distinctly unwell.  Not much better but here goes.

Sept 17th

Back to 1960 and a match in a long-gone cup Competition.   The BU's travelled to Gartcosh to play Mount Ellen United in the first leg of a Lanark & Lothians Cup first round tie.  A 5-1 was obtained to take back to Newtown for the second leg.  Adam Connor scored his 2nd hat-trick of the season and Jim Goldie & Willie Allan completed the scoring.

The team was: Cunningham, Kemp, Campbell, Veitch, Scott, Cairns, McClung, Allan, Connor, Goldie, McClements

Sept 18th

1965 and Camelon were on the end of an 8-0 beating at Newtown, in the League.  Doubles were notched by Peter Caproni, Jan Komorowski and Archie Meikle.  Bobby Broome & Jim McFarlane got the others.  Caproni's goals made it 5 in 3 since signing from Sauchie.

The team was: Preston, Blackley, Gellatly, Broome, Chambers, Myles, Caproni, McFarlane, Meikle, Komorowski, Tasker

24 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Sorry for not posting yesterday, as distinctly unwell.  Not much better but here goes.

Sept 17th

Back to 1960 and a match in a long-gone cup Competition.   The BU's travelled to Gartcosh to play Mount Ellen United in the first leg of a Lanark & Lothians Cup first round tie.  A 5-1 was obtained to take back to Newtown for the second leg.  Adam Connor scored his 2nd hat-trick of the season and Jim Goldie & Willie Allan completed the scoring.

The team was: Cunningham, Kemp, Campbell, Veitch, Scott, Cairns, McClung, Allan, Connor, Goldie, McClements

Sept 18th

1965 and Camelon were on the end of an 8-0 beating at Newtown, in the League.  Doubles were notched by Peter Caproni, Jan Komorowski and Archie Meikle.  Bobby Broome & Jim McFarlane got the others.  Caproni's goals made it 5 in 3 since signing from Sauchie.

The team was: Preston, Blackley, Gellatly, Broome, Chambers, Myles, Caproni, McFarlane, Meikle, Komorowski, Tasker

I believe Archie Meikle was the BU top scorer before Jimmy Burns had the record a short time until Paul McKinlay overtook him. I don't know how many Archie finished with?

I think Bo'ness won the Lanark and Lothians Cup in its final year but I'm sure others can confirm or otherwise

Archie scored 74 goals in his two seasons at the club in, I make it, 68 appearances.  There are two other games I don't have team lines for, including one game at West Calder in 1966 I don't have the score for, so he may well have scored more.

As for that cup, yes, Bo'ness won in the final year. 1968, beating Shotts Bon Accord 3 - 1

Sept 19th

1970 and a match memorable for the wrong reasons!  The trip to Bonnybridge saw 5 players sent off, 2 from the BU's.  The 'brig were gaining a reputation as they had 5 players sent off against Arniston in a recent match.  Both teams were down to 10 when Tommy Kane scored for the BU's after the break.  The 'brig equalised shortly before the end.

Team details incomplete but Bertram, Ure, Hamilton, McGregor, Frew, Kane, (Allan) all played.  Sub John Allan, a Hibs ground staff boy was signed after the match.

Archie scored 74 goals in his two seasons at the club in, I make it, 68 appearances.  There are two other games I don't have team lines for, including one game at West Calder in 1966 I don't have the score for, so he may well have scored more.
As for that cup, yes, Bo'ness won in the final year. 1968, beating Shotts Bon Accord 3 - 1
I think I was at that game. Played at Linlithgow?

16 hours ago, John S said:
23 hours ago, Jambo said:

I think I was at that game. Played at Linlithgow?

That's right John.  The semi against Fauldhouse was played at the same venue just two days previously.

Sept 20th

1952 saw a St Michaels Cup group match away to Preston Athletic.  The BU's scored 3 in each half to run out 6-1 winners.  Andy Donaldson, already in his second spell at the club, bagged a hat-trick.  Alex Grieve scored two on his debut.  Andy McBlain got the other.

The team was: White, Mitchell, McKeeman, Simpson, Mason, McBlain, McKinnon, Donaldson, Grieve, Forrester, Ormond

Sept 21st

1946 saw our very first contest with Bonnyrigg Rose and the 3-1 win there heralded a 9 match unbeaten run against the Rose.  Former Rose 'keeper Walter Stanners played his first game for the BU's along with new signing John Keenan.  A crowd of 2000 witnessed a goalless first half.  Willie Brash opened the scoring and John McGowan netted a disputed penalty.  After White reduced the leeway, Jim McLean wrapped things up.

The team was: Stanners, W. Mitchell, Keenan, Adam, Stewart, Brash, McGowan, Pryde, Dickson, McKie, McLean

Sept 22nd

2012 saw Junior Cup 1st round action at Newtown against Whitletts Vics and the final score of 5-2 to the BU's was probably harsh.  Lax play saw the BU's fall behind but a header from Hislop, touched home by Declan McAvoy restored parity at the break.  The Vics again took the lead before Bo'ness put their feet on the gas.  Steven Hislop immediately equalised before Nicky Walker put the BU's in front at last.  A Hislop penalty and a Chris Hamilton header added gloss to what had been a close game.

The team was: Wallace, Snowdon, Devine, Caine, Hunter, Hay (Nimmo), Donnelly, McAvoy (Bonar), Hislop (Morrison), Walker, Hamilton  

Sept 23rd

1972 and the BU's played their first cup-tie of the season, a Fife & Lothians Cup match at Tulliallan Thistle, their only ever visit to Craigiemouth Park, Kincardine.  A 4-2 win was gained, with goals coming from George Cunningham, Jim McGregor and a double from Willie Garvie.

The team was: Gilmour, Bentley, McQueen, McKay, Henderson, Zelman, Garvie, Cunningham, McGregor, Toal, plus 1 u/k

Sept 24th

1983 and another cup-tie, this time a home match in the Thornton Cup against Tranent.  The BU's secured a runaway 5-1 win, with the goals coming from Tom Balanowski, Andy Dunleavie, Pat Carroll and the last two from Jim Sinnet.

The team was: Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Breen, Robertson, G Young, Reid, Balanowski, Carroll, Sinnet, Wilson, Shields

John Miller, Paul Murphy?

A teaser from recent times now.  In 2016 we  played a Junior Cup tie at home to Bellshill.   Two players made what turned out to be their final appearances for the BU's that day.
Can you name them?