Jambo'ness

Bo'ness history - Day by day

John Fraser?

Can safely say, this player played a big part in our success that season, playing 30 games.

2 hours ago, Scuzz said:

There seemed to be dozens of players signed every season back then lol, I'll take a stab in the dark and go for Barry Donald?

The Tango Man

Aug 12th

In 1992, it was still League Cup time and the BU's travelled to Sauchie.  They would not have expectedto come back with an 8-2 win however.  Strangely, no hat-tricks that day but Jimmy Burns and Paul McLaren hit doubles, the latter including a penalty.  Singles came from George Allison, Gary Dalton, Gary McLennan & Bryan Purdie

Aug 13th

1963 and 3 days after winning at Prestonfield, the BU's hosted Camelon for the first home League match that season.  Nobody could have predicted the final score of 5-5 and I do wish I had a match report to hand!.  The BU scorers were Joe Young, a double from Kenny Gillespie and 2 own goals thrown in for good measure.

The team was:  Allan, Cram, McCallum, Mitchell, W Campbell, Johnstone, Gibb, Myles, Gillespie, Young, Hannah

Three answers to today's teaser.  Which three players scored their first BU goals this day in 2011, in a 4-3 win over Falkirk Juniors?

5 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Three answers to today's teaser.  Which three players scored their first BU goals this day in 2011, in a 4-3 win over Falkirk Juniors?

Balyntyne  ? Stewart ? 

Edited by Sheep77

1 hour ago, Sheep77 said:

Balyntyne  ? Stewart ? 

Nope.  As a clue, 1 is now at the wee rose, 1 left last season & 1 is with us.

Watt, Gibb and Nimmo?

Nope.  As a clue, 1 is now at the wee rose, 1 left last season & 1 is with us.

Aug 14th

1974 and the BU's entertained local rival Grangemouth Rovers in a B Division match.  A 4-0 victory was obtained without undue concern and goals came from a double by ex-Rangers player Davie Scott, Sammy Frickleton and a penalty from the legend to be, Ian Miller.

The team was: Ritchie, Toal, I McQueen, Sneddon Mercer, Scott, Miller, S Frickleton, Buckley, T Balanowski, Forrester subs McMeechan, Connell

Without the clues I would have got zero!

Well done.  Got all three!

I thought Watt was away from the Rose. Not that it would have made any difference to my memory.

Watt, Gibb and Nimmo?

Aug 15th

We go to 1961 and theJournal headline read ' Rose flattered at Prestonfield - Bo'ness gives lesson'.  A first-half goal from Dougie Birrell settled matters in a 1-0 win.  Rose 'keeper Tommy King wqas reported as keeping the score down.

The team was: McNairn, Blair, Stirling, Scott, Young, Jackson, Donlevy, Birrell, Batchelor, R Sneddon, Taylor

Fairly easy teaser for today.  This day in 2009 we won 4-1 at Dalkeith.  Who was our trialist centre-forward that day?

Aug 16th

1969 and an amazing repeat scoreline from 6 years previously, as the BU's once again fought out a 5-5 draw at home to Camelon.  New signing from Whitburn Andy Leitch scored a double, fellow new signing Bobby Nisbet from Bonnyrigg also struck, John Bernard hit one and sub 'Duke' Rae scored with a penalty.

The team was: Boslem, McCandless, McOwat, Sneddon, McMeechan, Makarus, Bernard, Ure, Leitch, Nisbet, Trialist sub Rae

A teaser to test your memory.  2014 and the BU's won 2-0 at Bonnyrigg, led by Max Christie.  The inimitable Duncan Smith was the ref.

Firstly, which BU player was sent off?

Secondly, what was unusual about the Rose player's sending off?

Edited by Jambo'ness