Bo'ness history - Day by day

4 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Wikipedia credits him with being at Kilsyth Rangers, not 100% on that, that will be why garrellburn asks.

Wasn't really asking  for info, just adding another question for afficianados of this thread. My records show him coming to Kilsyth early in the 1952-53 season and his first goal came in a 1st round Pompey cup game against Shawfield Juniors on 230th September. He scored fairly regulaly thereafter getting a total of nine goals, a long way behind our top scorer, Martin Mulhall with 38. Two other, Arthur Walls on 13 and John Glover with 10 were ahead of him. Jimmy's final goal for us came in a 4-3 defeat at Wishaw on 2nd May 1953. That was the day of the Stanley Mathews cup final which was the first game I ever saw on television in a local cafe. I had missed the supporters bus for the game at Wishaw which was our first loss in 26 games .

Presumably Jimmy Harrower joined Bo'ness for the 1953-54  season as he did not figure in our team afterwards.                                                                                                  

5 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Wasn't really asking  for info, just adding another question for afficianados of this thread. My records show him coming to Kilsyth early in the 1952-53 season and his first goal came in a 1st round Pompey cup game against Shawfield Juniors on 230th September. He scored fairly regulaly thereafter getting a total of nine goals, a long way behind our top scorer, Martin Mulhall with 38. Two other, Arthur Walls on 13 and John Glover with 10 were ahead of him. Jimmy's final goal for us came in a 4-3 defeat at Wishaw on 2nd May 1953. That was the day of the Stanley Mathews cup final which was the first game I ever saw on television in a local cafe. I had missed the supporters bus for the game at Wishaw which was our first loss in 26 games .

Presumably Jimmy Harrower joined Bo'ness for the 1953-54  season as he did not figure in our team afterwards.                                                                                                  

Having checked, he began the 53/4 season at Sauchie Thistle, then in May of 1954 played a couple of trial games and was snapped up.  In 7 games at the end of that season he scored 6 goals and won two cup finals.  Not a bad start!

16 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Having checked, he began the 53/4 season at Sauchie Thistle, then in May of 1954 played a couple of trial games and was snapped up.  In 7 games at the end of that season he scored 6 goals and won two cup finals.  Not a bad start!

Didn't realise he had gome back to juveniles but I presume he would have been scoring a barrowload of goals at that level.

Maybe if he had stayed at Kilsyth he would have got 5 cup medals as that was our haul in 53-54 season. But we has signed an ex-Bo'ness centre forward to replace him from Forth Rangers, Alex Querrie, and he got 60 in that season.

Did Jimmy stay with you till end of 54-55 season and what was his goals total? He would presumably been playing alongside Alex Scott and I would imagine that combination would have got a formidable total between them. I had relations who lived in Bo'ness and when we visited there were some great discussions as to the relative merits of our teams. Didn't come to blows but it did get a bit heated!

Edited by garrellburn

12 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Didn't realise he had gome back to juveniles but I presume he would have been scoring a barrowload of goals at that level.

Maybe if he had stayed at Kilsyth he would have got 5 cup medals as that was our haul in 53-54 season. But we has signed an ex-Bo'ness centre forward to replace him from Forth Rangers, Alex Querrie, and he got 60 in that season.

Did Jimmy stay with you till end of 54-55 season and what was his goals total? He would presumably been playing alongside Alex Scott and I would imagine that combination would have got a formidable total between them. I had relations who lived in Bo'ness and when we visited there were some great discussions as to the relative merits of our teams. Didn't come to blows but it did get a bit heated!

Scott left for Rangers in the middle of the season having scored 23 goals in 26 games.  Harrower played the full season, had 45 appearances scoring 38 goals.  He played all along the front line so wasn't exclusively the centre.

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

230th of September!!! Must’ve been some month:lol:

Edited by boness4ever

2010 saw the BU's closing in on the title but the match at Kelty Hearts was never going to be easy.  Kelty had been the first team to beat the BU's in a League match that season in the reverse fixture and the BU's were coming off a 3-0 loss at Hill of Beath.  Not surprisingly, it was a tight game and an early Andy Shirra goal wrapped up the points, 1-0

The side was: Longmuir, Snowdon, Fleming, Forrest, Duffin, Hay, Ballantine (Donnelly), Shirra, McFadyen (Shields), Gribben, Walker (G Brown)

13 hours ago, boness4ever said:

230th of September!!! Must’ve been some month:lol:

Yes, it did drag on a bit!

13 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Scott left for Rangers in the middle of the season having scored 23 goals in 26 games.  Harrower played the full season, had 45 appearances scoring 38 goals.  He played all along the front line so wasn't exclusively the centre.

I seem to remember Bo'ness were having a very good Scottish cup run that year but lost to Ashfield in the 6th round which was played in mid March and presumably he left for Rangers immediately after that game. Also I believe he scored a hat trick against  Falkirk on his debut.  He did play against Kilsyth a couple of years later in a friendly game at Duncansfield which we won 2-1 with both our goals scored by Tommy Douglas, the Benburb legend, who had a season with us. Glasgow Rangers had a pretty strong team out that day including Scott, Don Kitchenbrand, goalkeeper Bobby Brown and some others with first team experience.        

Edited by garrellburn

This day in 1953 saw a semi-final replay in the St Michaels Cup, against Newtongrange Star, at neutral Prestonfield.  The first game had finished 1-1 at Arniston but the replay was settled by a double from Alec Ross, as the BU's won 2-0

The team was: Ronald, Mitchell, McKeeman, Hogg, McBlain, Paterson, McAra, Simpson, Grieve, Ross, Ormond