Bo'ness history - Day by day

1976 was another Junior Cup glory year and this day, the 17th, saw a 4th round tie at home to Coltness United.  The BU's triumphed 5-0 with this team: McBain, J McQueen, McGuinness, McIntosh, I McQueen, Miller, Scobie, Balanowski, Mitchell, Temperley, Anderson subs McGeachie & Robinson.  The goals came from Tom Balanowski, a hat-trick from Billy Mitchell and an Ian Miller penalty.

The Journal used the headline "Brilliant Bo'ness baffle Coltness".  The win was notable as 'keeper Gordon McBain was injured only 5 minutes into the 2nd half.

Reports also stated that Coltness were a fair side and that Tom Balanowski was the difference between the teams.

An interesting game for the 18th, in 1958 saw the BU's at Dalkeith Thistle in the Thornton Shield.  It ended 4-2 for the BU's, with this team playing: Wilson, Martin, Gavin, Dair, McKenzie, Collumbine, Philp, Millar, Cummings, Sinclair, Davidson.  The goals came from David Sinclair, Tommy Millar and a brace from Matt Cummings.

In 2003 Camelon were defeated in the Junior Cup, at Newtown by 2-0.  Ian Ferguson and David Muirhead the scorers.

Edited by Jambo'ness

Not many games historically on the 19th, so we'll keep the Dalkeith theme going.  This time we go back to 1991 and a Brown Cup tie at Newtown.  The BU's won 3-1 with this team: Kirkwood, McLennan, Malloy, Purdie, McLean, Cheape, Dalton, Allison, Dawson, Burns, McLaughlan.  The goals came from Gary McLennan, Jimmy Dawson & Jimmy Burns.

In a top of the table clash in 2008, Forfar West End were the visitors.  They were beaten 2-1 with goals from Andy Scott & a Jon Tully penalty.

We go back to 1951 now and a home League match with Stoneyburn, in a season when both finished mid-table.  The BU's won 2-1 and this team played: Foote, Mitchell, McKeeman, Hogg, Thomson, McKie, Dunlop, Smith, Gardiner, Steedman, Coyle.  Willie Gardiner, later of Rangers and John Steedman scored.

In 1990 the BU's travelled to Armadale for a League match and came back with a point in a 2-2 draw.  Our scorers being George Allison & Stuart Wilson.

The big game today in 1950 was a Junior Cup 4th Round, 2nd replay against Lanark United, at neutral Broomfield Park, home of Airdrie.

The BU's ran out winners by 2-0 through a double from Harry Clark.  We fielded the following XI: Graham, Mitchell, McLintock, Rodgers, Dick, McKie, Jamieson, Clark, Young, Sproull, Morrison.

Left-back Rab McLintock had earlier in the season scored nine goals in four games as a centre-forward.

Edited by Jambo'ness

4 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

The big game today was a Junior Cup 4th Round, 2nd replay against Lanark United, at neutral Broomfield Park, home of Airdrie.

The BU's ran out winners by 2-0 through a double from Harry Clark.  We fielded the following XI: Graham, Mitchell, McLintock, Rodgers, Dick, McKie, Jamieson, Clark, Young, Sproull, Morrison.

Left-back Rab McLintock had earlier in the season scored nine goals in four games as a centre-forward.

1950 Jambo?

In 1983, for the 22nd, Bo'ness finally overcame Brechin Victoria in a Junior Cup 3rd Round, 2nd replay by 5-0, making a mockery of the previous struggles.  This is the team that lined up at neutral Jeanfield: Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Breen, Wilson, McQueen, Young, Shields, Balanowski, Robertson, Miller, Reid.  The goals came from doubles by John Robertson, Lex Shields & one from Frank 'Doodles' Wilson.

In 1966, one tie still to be settled was with Larkhall Thistle. This was now a 2nd replay at neutral Ashfield but even extra time could not separate the sides as they drew 3-3.  Archie Meikle grabbed a double and Sandy Myles scored a penalty.

More recently, in 2010, the BU's travelled to Castle Park, home of Blantyre Victoria to play a 4th Round tie in the Junior Cup.

Bo'ness had not played for seven weeks but showed no signs of rust in a 4-1 win.  Darren Gribben scored two, one a penalty, Paul Shields & Chris McFadyen were the other scorers.  The team was: Longmuir, Snowdon, Fleming (Ballantine), G Brown (Main), Kiczynski, Hay, Walker, Shirra, Shields, Gribben, Donnelly (McFadyen)

9 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

More recently, in 2010, the BU's travelled to Castle Park, home of Blantyre Victoria to play a 4th Round tie in the Junior Cup.

Bo'ness had not played for seven weeks but showed no signs of rust in a 4-1 win.  Darren Gribben scored two, one a penalty, Paul Shields & Chris McFadyen were the other scorers.  The team was: Longmuir, Snowdon, Fleming (Ballantine), G Brown (Main), Kiczynski, Hay, Walker, Shirra, Shields, Gribben, Donnelly (McFadyen)

Gribben scored a cracker that day 

As it's my birthday, I'm picking a big win for a change and co-incidentally it's against this week's opponents, Tranent.

We go back to 1998 and a League game that finished 8-1 to the BU's.  Paul McKinlay scored four that day, Eddie Hallford hit a double and Danny Crainie & Steven Bryce hit the others.  The team was: N Binnie, Grant, Hoggan, Yates, Drew, Scott, Todd (More), Hallford, Crainie (Cullie), McKinlay, Bryce

For today's promised teaser, we are going right back to 1953 and the old Brown Cup.  The BU's were drawn away to Loanhead Mayflower but who can give the score?   I'll give the answer later.

Edited by Jambo'ness

5 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

As it's my birthday, I'm picking a big win for a change and co-incidentally it's against this week's opponents, Tranent.

We go back to 1998 and a League game that finished 8-1 to the BU's.  Paul McKinlay scored four that day, Eddie Hallford hit a double and Danny Crainie & Steven Bryce hit the others.  The team was: N Binnie, Grant, Hoggan, Yates, Drew, Scott, Todd (More), Hallford, Crainie (Cullie), McKinlay, Bryce

For today's promised teaser, we are going right back to 1953 and the old Brown Cup.  The BU's were drawn away to Loanhead Mayflower but who can give the score?   I'll give the answer later.

Some classic names in their. Sheep McKinlay,  daryll drew Kevin hoggan

15 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

I'd hoped someone would have had a guess.