Bo'ness history - Day by day

2 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Back with another request, last night I was doing a talk for a church mens group in Kincardine and I was speaking to a former Bo'ness player. His name is Matt Cummings and he played in the late 1950's up front, either centre forward or outside right (that takes you back!).  He was quite successful, scoring quite a few goals but had a leg break from which he apparently did not make a full recovery and eventually left the club. He reckons a young striker came in, he thinks from Kilsyth St Patricks, a juvenile club, who was scoring freely  and went on to play for Peterborough. His name may have been Reilly, any further information?

Obviously not the same player but could be a point of interest to you. Terry Reilly a Kilsyth man played with the BU's in the late '40s, he was also a centre.

8 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Back with another request, last night I was doing a talk for a church mens group in Kincardine and I was speaking to a former Bo'ness player. His name is Matt Cummings and he played in the late 1950's up front, either centre forward or outside right (that takes you back!).  He was quite successful, scoring quite a few goals but had a leg break from which he apparently did not make a full recovery and eventually left the club. He reckons a young striker came in, he thinks from Kilsyth St Patricks, a juvenile club, who was scoring freely  and went on to play for Peterborough. His name may have been Reilly, any further information?

To start with, Matt Cummings was indeed a very successful player in his time at Bo'ness.  He made his debut as a trialist on 07/12/57, in a 5-0 home win over Armadale in the League.  He scored the final goal and was quickly snapped up.  That season he went on to score 23 goals in 24 games.  He scored the winner in the R L Rae Cup Final against West Calder and also was on target in the League play-off wins over Ormiston Primrose.  The following season, he scored 13 in 10 before injury and left the club at the end of the season.

As for the other player, Danny Reilly came from Kilsyth St Pats in 1958 and was in the same team as Matt at the end of that season, scoring 7 in 5.  He left for Peterborough United at the end of the season and there the trail goes cold on him, as 'The Posh' were in the Midland League at the time.

7 hours ago, John S said:
23 hours ago, Jambo said:
This time of year and teasers are hard to find.  Here's a fairly easy one.  We drew 1-1 with Newtongrange Star in an East of Scotland Cup tie in 1994.  Which future trainer netted our goal?

GW

Gary Wilcox it was.

The 1976 Junior Cup bandwagon was definitely rolling along, as Bo'ness travelled to Ayrshire for a 6th round tie against Cumnock.  The BU's were in irresistible form at the time and returned home with a 3-1 win.

The team was: Ferguson, J McQueen, McGuinness, Miller, I McQueen, McGeachie, McIntosh, Balanowski, Mitchell, Temperley, Anderson (Taylor) sub Robinson.  The goals came from a double by Willie Temperley and one from Tom Balanowski.

For a teaser, we go back to 2010 and a trip to Newtongrange.  A great come-back to draw 3-3 and with only 9 men at the finish.  Who were the two sent off?
Clue: Will wasn't one of them!
Nicky Walker

4 minutes ago, buboy said:
12 minutes ago, Jambo said:
For a teaser, we go back to 2010 and a trip to Newtongrange.  A great come-back to draw 3-3 and with only 9 men at the finish.  Who were the two sent off?
Clue: Will wasn't one of them!

Nicky Walker

Yep, he was one.

1 hour ago, Scuzz said:

Fraser Forrest? I think it was for a last man foul, remember lots of that game but can't quite remember who got our first red. Dougies last gasp equaliser was a peach!

For once, you are wrong.

Duffin and Walker got sent off and it was Paul shields with the equaliser 
Funny how the mind plays tricks on you, for the last ten years I thought that was Donnelly. We were even talking about that match the other week. Great comeback.

Thanks for info about Matt Cummings. I have passed it on.  He has good memories of his time with Bo'ness but just wanted a reminder of what he had achieved while there.  It was sixty years ago after all, others here are complaing of their memory playing tricks after just ten years!

Edited by garrellburn

1987 and the BU's travelled to Arniston Rangers for a League match and returned victors by 3-2.  The team that day was: Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Breen, Hamilton, Caldwell, McLennan, Shields, Dalton, Trialist (Fairley), Allison, Brown

The goals came from Gary McLennan & an Alex Brown brace.

Today we have yet another win at Prestonfield, this time in 1980, against Linlithgow Rose, this time by 3-1.  The team was: Crooks, Dunleavie, McQueen, Miller, Stewart, H Temperley, W Temperley, Wilson, Davidson, Reid, Park.

Goals came courtesy of a duble from Eric Davidson and a penalty from Frank Wilson.