Bo'ness history - Day by day

15 minutes ago, John S said:
1 hour ago, Jambo said:

^^ Bumped ^^
Not doing a fresh teaser if you're not even going to attempt an answer.
There wasn't one for today anyway emoji38.png

Scott Brown

Too easy for you John, well done!

Junior Cup 5th Round day in 1984 and Cumnock were the visitors.  The BU's ran out 2-0 winners, courtesy of goals from Jim Sinnet & a Robert Beaton penalty.  The winning BU team was:  Kirkwood, Dunleavie, Breen, Carroll, Caldwell, Reid, Shields, Beaton, Sinnet (Balanowski), Fairley, Wilson (Robertson).

Today's teaser might be tough.  Going back to 1990 and we beat Stoneyburn 3-0 in a Fife & Lothians Cup tie,  One player netted a double, his only goals for the club, who was he?
Looked it up Jambo but the faded photocopy isn't clear. Please let me know the scorers once the answer is revealed.

In 1978, the BU's travelled to Armadale for a League match.  The BU's won this game 2-0 through goals from Andy Dunleavie & Robin Craw.  The team was:  Ferguson, Robertson, McQueen, Dunleavie (Anderson), Stewart, Breen, Craw (Shields), Balanowski, Eddie, Miller, McDonald 

No teaser today.  Really nothing much of interest happened on this day in history.

For those who are interested, I have now started doing research on Bo'ness Cadora & the short-lived Bo'ness side that won the East of Scotland League before the war.

Ultimate aim will be to research a complete picture of Senior & Junior football in Bo'ness going as far back as possible.

Edited by Jambo'ness

If I remember correctly,Brian Eddie(i thought it was Eadie) received a suspension,there was no appeal and he didn’t miss a game,I’m sure he got a 3week ban,and thre was a bad spell of weather and we didn’t play in those 3weeks,so ban over 

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

No teaser today.  Really nothing much of interest happened on this day in history.

For those who are interested, I have now started doing research on Bo'ness Cadora & the short-lived Bo'ness side that won the East of Scotland League before the war.

Ultimate aim will be to research a complete picture of Senior & Junior football in Bo'ness going as far back as possible.

Good luck in your search Jambo. Not many still living that will remember the Cadora days but I'm sure there will be records around somewhere.

Keep up the good work, looks like you will go down as the Bo'ness Football History Man.

1 minute ago, Standalone said:

Good luck in your search Jambo. Not many still living that will remember the Cadora days but I'm sure there will be records around somewhere.

Keep up the good work, looks like you will go down as the Bo'ness Football History Man.

I'm lucky, I've got a subscription to a Newspaper Archive and so the older stuff is easier to research than in the 70's or 80's.  Already found a lot in the various Borders papers for that EOSL season prior to the war.

Derby day at Newtown in 1986 with Linlithgow Rose the visitors.  A close game saw the BU's pick up the points in a 1-0 win.

Full team details not available but the following definitely were on duty: Henderson, Carroll, Shields, Fairley, Wright, Beaton, Wilson.  If anyone has the full line-up just let me know.

It was Frank 'Doodles' Wilson who netted the winner against the side he would join in the close season.

47 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

This time of year and teasers are hard to find.  Here's a fairly easy one.  We drew 1-1 with Newtongrange Star in an East of Scotland Cup tie in 1994.  Which future trainer netted our goal?

Wee Harry lol 

Back with another request, last night I was doing a talk for a church mens group in Kincardine and I was speaking to a former Bo'ness player. His name is Matt Cummings and he played in the late 1950's up front, either centre forward or outside right (that takes you back!).  He was quite successful, scoring quite a few goals but had a leg break from which he apparently did not make a full recovery and eventually left the club. He reckons a young striker came in, he thinks from Kilsyth St Patricks, a juvenile club, who was scoring freely  and went on to play for Peterborough. His name may have been Reilly, any further information?

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

Back with another request, last night I was doing a talk for a church mens group in Kincardine and I was speaking to a former Bo'ness player. His name is Matt Cummings and he played in the late 1950's up front, either centre forward or outside right (that takes you back!).  He was quite successful, scoring quite a few goals but had a leg break from which he apparently did not make a full recovery and eventually left the club. He reckons a young striker came in, he thinks from Kilsyth St Patricks, a juvenile club, who was scoring freely  and went on to play for Peterborough. His name may have been Reilly, any further information?

I'll have a look tonight when I get home.