Bo'ness history - Day by day

Almost a month after hitting 12 past Bonnybridge in 1965, the very next game was a home League match with Pumpherston.

Perhaps surprisingly it finished 4-4.  The team was: Preston, Hynd, Kennedy, Myles, Chambers, Cairns, McManus, Buchan, Meikle, McKinnon, Craig.  The goals came from a Bobby Buchan double, Archie Meikle and Frankie Craig.  Buchan signed for Pumpherston for the next season.

In 1976, a week after the heroic draw at Arthurlie in the Scottish Cup 5th Round, the replay was held at Newtown and with a regular 'keeper again the BU's ran out comfortable winners by 4-1.  The team was:  McBain, J McQueen, McGuinness, Miller, I McQueen, McGeachie, Scobie, Balanowski, Mitchell, Temperley, Anderson (Robinson) sub Simpson. 

Scorers were two from WillieTemperley and one each from Billy Mitchell and Tom Balanowski.

On 12/02/2019 at 06:19, Jambo'ness said:

In 1955 just a fortnight after hitting double figures against Alva Albion Rangers, the sides met in the reverse League fixture at the Hillfoots and the BU's won 6-1 this time.  The line-up was:  Ronald, McBlain, Donnelly, Hogg, Boyd, Meiklejohn, Thomson, McMahon, Harrower, Hunter, McKeown.  

Goals came from a Jimmy Harrower hat-trick, John Hunter, Hugh McMahon & Billy McKeown.

Jimmy Harrower had played at Kilsyth around 1952/3 , moderately successfull scored 9 goals that season. Our top scorer that year was Martin Mulhall with 38, the elder brother of trhe much more successfull George (Aberdeen & Sunderland). Jimmy Harrower played for Hibs, Liverpool, Newcastle, St Johnstone, Falkirk and Albion Rovers, got goals everywhere he went. Ended up at Sauchie who would still be a juvenile team then I think. There seems to have ben quite a few who played both at Bo'ness and Kilsyth, Gibby Ormond did and I remember a centre forward, Goldie also coming to us.

Which of the Steedman brothers played for Bo'ness, both Jack and Charlie played at Kilsyth around 1952. I think at least one of them played senior at one time before going into club management and administration famously taking Easdt Stirlingshire to Clydebank. The rest, as they say, is history

40 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Jimmy Harrower had played at Kilsyth around 1952/3 , moderately successfull scored 9 goals that season. Our top scorer that year was Martin Mulhall with 38, the elder brother of trhe much more successfull George (Aberdeen & Sunderland). Jimmy Harrower played for Hibs, Liverpool, Newcastle, St Johnstone, Falkirk and Albion Rovers, got goals everywhere he went. Ended up at Sauchie who would still be a juvenile team then I think. There seems to have ben quite a few who played both at Bo'ness and Kilsyth, Gibby Ormond did and I remember a centre forward, Goldie also coming to us.

Which of the Steedman brothers played for Bo'ness, both Jack and Charlie played at Kilsyth around 1952. I think at least one of them played senior at one time before going into club management and administration famously taking Easdt Stirlingshire to Clydebank. The rest, as they say, is history

Jacky Steedman played with the BU's in 1950-51 . He played in 6th round Scottish Cup match against Petershill at Springburn, record gate for Petershill Park (19.500).

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

Jim Goldie - according to our A-Z in Wikipedia - formerly played with Luton Town and York City. Although I thought his first name was Hugh.

1 hour ago, John S said:
12 hours ago, Jambo said:
The teaser today takes us to 1998 and a time when Bonnyrigg didn't rule the roost.  The BU's came home with a 3-0 win but who scored their first goal for the club that day?

Derek Grant

Well done John.  The other goals came from Darryl Drew & Steven Bryce.

1 hour ago, boheesian said:

Jim Goldie - according to our A-Z in Wikipedia - formerly played with Luton Town and York City. Although I thought his first name was Hugh.

Jim began with Gairdoch United before going senior with Falkirk, then Dundee United.  He was reinstated to Bo'ness in 1960 and scored 23 goals in 41 games. He moved to Kilsyth a year later, followed by a move down south to Luton Town, then to York City.  After that he went into English non-league football with Poole Town.

Hugh  played in the 50's for Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Ayr United & Albion Rovers.

2 hours ago, Standalone said:

Jacky Steedman played with the BU's in 1950-51 . He played in 6th round Scottish Cup match against Petershill at Springburn, record gate for Petershill Park (19.500).

Yes, he signed from Ashfield in June 1950 and went to Kilsyth a year later, after scoring 18 goals in 43 games.

Well, I have mentioned Dennistoun Waverley and Dundee Violet (though that was at Dens).  You've let slip about Petershill.  I think Lanark United's 10,00 in the 1950Junior Cup was a record.

The round after Dundee Violet in 1948 drew a record at Lochgelly Albert.  Away to Sauchie in 1982 was also a record, I think.  There are probably more but I'm not certain.

Jim began with Gairdoch United before going senior with Falkirk, then Dundee United.  He was reinstated to Bo'ness in 1960 and scored 23 goals in 41 games. He moved to Kilsyth a year later, followed by a move down south to Luton Town, then to York City.  After that he went into English non-league football with Poole Town.
Hugh  played in the 50's for Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Ayr United & Albion Rovers.
York City !!..... Pub team forum for that club surely Jamboness ?

1997 now and Bo'ness were challenging at the top.  Normally a draw at Newtongrange Star would be considered a good result but on this occasion the 3-3 scoreline was two points dropped.

The team was:  N Binnie, More, Hallford, Yates, Inglis, Drew, Hodge (Crainie), Scott, Burns, McKinlay, Sludden.  The goals came from Jimmy Burns, Kerr More and a Danny Crainie penalty.

1997 now and Bo'ness were challenging at the top.  Normally a draw at Newtongrange Star would be considered a good result but on this occasion the 3-3 scoreline was two points dropped.
  The team was:  N Binnie, More, Hallford, Yates, Inglis, Drew, Hodge (Crainie), Scott, Burns, McKinlay, Sludden.  The goals came from Jimmy Burns, Kerr More and a Danny Crainie penalty.

What a player wee Daryl Drew was. Not the most skilful or anything like that, but a wee grafter that could go 100mph all game and always gave 100%.

13 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Well, I have mentioned Dennistoun Waverley and Dundee Violet (though that was at Dens).  You've let slip about Petershill.  I think Lanark United's 10,00 in the 1950Junior Cup was a record.

The round after Dundee Violet in 1948 drew a record at Lochgelly Albert.  Away to Sauchie in 1982 was also a record, I think.  There are probably more but I'm not certain.

Currently this is the best thread on P &B, well I think so anyway. Mention of the huge crowrs that Dundee Violet used to attract in the immediate post WW2 days, Kilsyth had drawn them in the 4th round of the Scottish in 1946/7 season. The fiirst round was at  Dundee on the 2nd January, a thursday, but obviously a holiday. . Kulsyth took a reported 3000 fans in two special trains accompanied by the Kilsyth Thistle pipe band. The crowd was given as  12545, not sure about the venue.  It ended 1-1 and the replay at kilsyth on the 11th January ended 0-0. The second replay was at Annfield in Stirling  on the 18th which Vilet won 4-1`, no record of attendances ast these games.

The following season we met Haddington in the 1st round of the Scottish, the first two matches as Kilsyth and Haddington were both drawn; the second replay was at Easter Road in Edinburgh on 20yh September with a 5-45 pm kick off. It went bto extra time with Haddington 4-3 ahead but the ref evenyually abondoned the game due to bad light. no floodlights then.  The third replay was at Bo'ness on the 27th september with Haddington finally taking the tie with a 5-4 victory. I wonder if there is any record of trhis game in the Bo'ness  paper? Must have a look on my next visit to Falkirk library.

2 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Currently this is the best thread on P &B, well I think so anyway. Mention of the huge crowrs that Dundee Violet used to attract in the immediate post WW2 days, Kilsyth had drawn them in the 4th round of the Scottish in 1946/7 season. The fiirst round was at  Dundee on the 2nd January, a thursday, but obviously a holiday. . Kulsyth took a reported 3000 fans in two special trains accompanied by the Kilsyth Thistle pipe band. The crowd was given as  12545, not sure about the venue.  It ended 1-1 and the replay at kilsyth on the 11th January ended 0-0. The second replay was at Annfield in Stirling  on the 18th which Vilet won 4-1`, no record of attendances ast these games.

The following season we met Haddington in the 1st round of the Scottish, the first two matches as Kilsyth and Haddington were both drawn; the second replay was at Easter Road in Edinburgh on 20yh September with a 5-45 pm kick off. It went bto extra time with Haddington 4-3 ahead but the ref evenyually abondoned the game due to bad light. no floodlights then.  The third replay was at Bo'ness on the 27th september with Haddington finally taking the tie with a 5-4 victory. I wonder if there is any record of trhis game in the Bo'ness  paper? Must have a look on my next visit to Falkirk library.

As you are enjoying this thread so much, here is question for you.

Which player played with Kilsyth ( probably in 46-47 games you refer to) came to BU's and won a Scottish Junior Cup medal the following season.

Clue, he was a Kilsyth man.

8 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

What a player wee Daryl Drew was. Not the most skilful or anything like that, but a wee grafter that could go 100mph all game and always gave 100%.

Is he still playing or finally retired? I'm sure he was still turning out for Stoneyburn last season.

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

How old is he? I'm sure he played a pre-season friendly for Kelty in 2005 when Davie Wilcox was Kelty manager, might have been at Blackburn?

Keep up the good work on this thread, its a good read.

Well into his 40's I'd guess and played with his son at Stoneyburn. Never gave up running even at that age, some player.

Is he still playing or finally retired? I'm sure he was still turning out for Stoneyburn last season.

He did play into his 40’s I know that, but I would guess he’ll probably be about 50-ish now so wouldn’t have thought so. At the same time, he’s probably the fittest player I’ve seen in 30+years of watching Bo’ness, so if it turns out he has still been playing recently, I wouldn’t be surprised.