Bo'ness history - Day by day

As it's my birthday, I'm picking a big win for a change and co-incidentally it's against this week's opponents, Tranent.

We go back to 1998 and a League game that finished 8-1 to the BU's.  Paul McKinlay scored four that day, Eddie Hallford hit a double and Danny Crainie & Steven Bryce hit the others.  The team was: N Binnie, Grant, Hoggan, Yates, Drew, Scott, Todd (More), Hallford, Crainie (Cullie), McKinlay, Bryce

For today's promised teaser, we are going right back to 1953 and the old Brown Cup.  The BU's were drawn away to Loanhead Mayflower but who can give the score?   I'll give the answer later.

Eddie Halford was a class player. Cracking left foot.

I'd hoped someone would have had a guess.

9-3 to the BU?!

Right back to 1947 now and a Thornton Shield tie at home to Bonnyrigg Rose.  The BU's were winners by 3-1.The team was: Stanners, W, Mitchell, Brash, Paton, Stewart, McKie, McGowan, Dickson, Anderson, Pryde, McLean and goals came from Jim McLean, John McGowan & Willie Pryde.

Here's one for those who remember as far back as 2003.  What peculiar series of events occurred during our 2-0 win at Whitburn?

Edited by Jambo'ness

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

Right back to 1947 now and a Thornton Shield tie at home to Bonnyrigg Rose.  The BU's were winners by 3-1.The team was: Stanners, W, Mitchell, Brash, Paton, Stewart, McKie McGowan, Dickson, Anderson, Pryde, McLean and goals came from Jim McLean, John McGowan & Willie Pryde.

Here's one for those who remember as far back as 2003.  What peculiar series of events occurred during our 2-0 win at Whitburn?

I'll need to think about that one - without referring to my old reports

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:
4 hours ago, Jambo said:
Thanks for the late responses.  I was a little cheeky here.  Loanhead were unable to raise a team so Bo'ness were given a walk-over into the next round. 

So it was a trick question !! Devious sleekit barsteward.........you must have some Lithgae blood in you.

Your second pie has just gone.

2 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Still waiting for Dave to buy me a first one!

Tight git. What about the urn of soup he carries about, I take it he sups the lot

Just back from the Hols and enjoying catching up with the trips down memory lane.  

Edited by boheesian

10 hours ago, John S said:
23 hours ago, John S said:
I'll need to think about that one - without referring to my old reports

My reports don't go that far back and I can't remember what happened.

Will let this one run today.  Maybe guys at the game will remember it.

26th January, 2008 saw us entertain Rosyth Recreation in a League fixture and the BU's ran out convincing winners by 5-1.  This was the team: R Burns, Morrison, McCafferty, Snowdon, Tully, Mullen, Mitchell (S Brown), Donnelly, Tweedie (Thornton), Scott, Mauchline.

The goals came from Jon Mitchell, Ryan McCafferty, Scott Mauchline, Kevin Mullen and debutant David Thornton, who had signed from Arniston Rangers earlier that week.

Right back to 1947 now and a Thornton Shield tie at home to Bonnyrigg Rose.  The BU's were winners by 3-1.The team was: Stanners, W, Mitchell, Brash, Paton, Stewart, McKie, McGowan, Dickson, Anderson, Pryde, McLean and goals came from Jim McLean, John McGowan & Willie Pryde.

I have a blurry memory of this but think I’m on the right lines...

Was this the game where a sub came on who then had to get subbed, then the sub who came on for the sub scored, but then had to get subbed for the last sub?

The prize goes to 8 Mile.

Graeme Donald was injured and replaced by Michael Dillon.  He was then injured and Greig Hodge replaced him and he indeed scored the first goal.  Greig was unlucky with injuries, to say the least and had to be replaced by Brian Kemp.

The prize goes to 8 Mile.
Graeme Donald was injured and replaced by Michael Dillon.  He was then injured and Greig Hodge replaced him and he indeed scored the first goal.  Greig was unlucky with injuries, to say the least and had to be replaced by Brian Kemp.

Yay! What do I win? Haha...

Nearly didn’t post as I started doubting myself that it was against Whitburn.

Greig Hodge was a class player but was probably the unluckiest player we’ve had for injuries. Think he used to manage half a dozen games a season when he was with us.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Greig Hodge was a class player but was probably the unluckiest player we’ve had for injuries. Think he used to manage half a dozen games a season when he was with us.

Yeah, he was with us between 1995 and 2003 and played fewer than 150 games

Introduce yourself and you can have a steak and haggis pie (if any are left after Dave has had his fill).

Well done 8Mile

Yeah, he was with us between 1995 and 2003 and played fewer than 150 games
Introduce yourself and you can have a steak and haggis pie (if any are left after Dave has had his fill).

Haha, I’ll pass on the pie (still don’t know if I’m going to head through) but if you could guarantee 3 points I’d gladly settle for that!

In 1968, on the 27th,  Bathgate Thistle were in town for a League match but were sent packing 6-0.  The team was:  Crawford, McGuinness, McCandless, McMeechan, Thomson, McQueen, Bernard, McDonald, McGuire, J Sneddon, Watson.  The goals came from Brian Watson, doubles by  Benny McGuire and Joe McMeechan and one from Tony McCandless.